UPB Control

Russ55

Quick question ... with a bit of a lead-in.

New construction- breaking ground soon. Will be wiring everything from garage doors to closet doors, including redundancy wires. Have purchased Omnipro2, expansion modules, power supplies, relays, PC Access, etc. I've also purchased scores of UPB switches (Simply Automated and Web Mountain) and am comfortable with UpStart. Will probably not be going with HLC programming but using PC Access coding to keep OP2 status accurate.

Will be adding Homeseer 3 on a mini-pc in order to incorporate Alexa access (important for WAF). Will most likely utilize the Homeseer Omni plug-in.

My question (finally!) - Is there any reason to have my Homeseer server directly communicate with my UPB network (using a HS UPB plug-in and separate PIM) or have all UPB commands go through my OP2 panel? Is there any advantage to programming in HS instead of OP2 via PC Access? Thanks!

I used OpenHAB to get my Alexa interface to the OPII.  An RPi and free software that works flawlessly.  In addition to the Alexa interface, it gives me a web and mobile interface that is easy to use.  Did I say it is free?

I would also suggest even if you're programming via UpStart (which I do all my programming with it) is to use the HLC method of room/unit/link allocation.  The OPII will keep all your status tracking up to date without any code.  From there, you can still add custom links that works across rooms and add some trigger coding in the OPII to update across those unique ones.

For simplification, I'd suggest having Homeseer (or OpenHAB) do all the communication through the OPII.  It helps to keep all programming in one place and will simplify your installation.

Hi JonW - thanks for the reply.

JonW said:
I used OpenHAB to get my Alexa interface to the OPII.  An RPi and free software that works flawlessly.  In addition to the Alexa interface, it gives me a web and mobile interface that is easy to use.  Did I say it is free?
Wow, I really like the premise of OpenHAB, lots of positive comments, great price .... but, after reading (skimming) every related post here and reading through the entire OpenHAB beginner documents ... I'm not sure I could even get it installed! I'm not a dummy (managed to get Kodi up and running on a RP3 - with lots of on-line help) and after reviewing the 5 pages of posts regarding OpenHAB with only 3 responders until Pete chimed in, I'm guessing I'm not alone. I really enjoy home-automation (had/have a bunch of X-10 from decades ago) and I've never shied away from learning something new (just got all 3 certification levels from the FCC for amateur (ham) radio), but I don't even know where to start with OpenHAB ....

JonW said:
I would also suggest even if you're programming via UpStart (which I do all my programming with it) is to use the HLC method of room/unit/link allocation.  The OPII will keep all your status tracking up to date without any code.  From there, you can still add custom links that works across rooms and add some trigger coding in the OPII to update across those unique ones.
I will definitely look over the HLC method again - thanks! I also appreciate the advice regarding a single PIM - that was the direction I was leaning towards.

In relation to HLC, I've used UPB since it's inception (before HLC, Simply Automated and Web Mountain) and always used UpStart.  Years ago I used UPB with HomeVision and then migrated to HAI (still prior to HLC) and ran everything in standard UPB mode.  Once HLC came out, I changed my configuration over to HLC style and it simplified everything greatly and made status reporting near 100% accurate.

Relating to OpenHAB, the documentation has got much better lately.  Check it out here:  https://www.openhab.org/docs/ The installation process is incredibly simple too.

I would also offer up a canned copy of my config if anyone wants to check it out.  There are really only 3 text files to modify to define your system.  Everything in OpenHAB lives in the folder \OpenHAB (and subfolders).  It makes it real easy to back up your system, move it to another computer or to share it with someone else.

Ok JonW - I took another look at OpenHAB (that was the same site I had looked at before) and am willing to give it a try (especially since the Homeseer Labor Day Sale is only 5% off ). I may well take you up on your configuration offer as well as PM you if needed ... if that's ok. I'm still many months out but may practice in my current house where there is lots of UPB but no Omni panel.

I'm going to re-read Ano's great tutorials here on HLC mode, and see if I can finally wrap my mind around the whole "rooms" and "reserved links for each room" concepts - my mind doesn't seem to work that way. (I've never had a problem with UpStart programming.)

Thanks again for all of your comments!

Is there any reason to have my Homeseer server directly communicate with my UPB network (using a HS UPB plug-in and separate PIM) or have all UPB commands go through my OP2 panel? Is there any advantage to programming in HS instead of OP2 via PC Access?

I do both and have multiple UPB PIMs on line.

An upstart direct connect to a dedicated PIM lets me watch or monitor the UPB network or program a UPB switch.

I let the OmniPro 2 panel keep the basic automation heartbeat of the home going and utilize Homeseer for some added stuff and interaction.

That is me though.

In case it helps, when I went to the Homeseer site just now I was offered 10% off of first order (over $100) if I sign up for their newsletter.  Little better deal than the 5% 'sale'.

Thanks Pete - I was a bit worried that having more than one PIM online would create issues, but I guess it would be very rare to have both PIMs trying to "write" at the same time and I really like the idea of monitoring the network.

Thanks Cobra! I was really hoping for the "50%" off they had last Black Friday, but 10% isn't bad...

Back