UPB phase coupler poll

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious, I think it would be interesting to know how many people have a UPB phase coupler deployed. If you don't use UPB, please don't vote!

I've had one for over a year, but never installed it. Just got a PS3 and it's causing problems with several lights (only when PS3 is turned ON), so I'm gonna' install mine and see if it helps.

gk

I dont use one but I have one on order... 52 devices (mostly SAI) but 5 or so have a signal less than 5. Still, they almost always work, even the two that have a signal level of only 1.

A few years ago when I started installing UPB in the house the phase coupler is the first thing I installed, right next to the X10 coupler/repeater. I may or may not need it but I'd rather it was there than not. The first few years with X10 I didn't have a repeater/coupler and I was always chasing signal problems. I think of the phase coupler as cheap insurance at this point.

That makes me wonder how many people installed one because they needed one, or because they just wanted to play it safe.

That makes me wonder how many people installed one because they needed one, or because they just wanted to play it safe.

The way I looked at it was if I don't need it now, I probably will at some point down the line. At work it's no different a phase coupler is spe'd into each job. No phase coupler, no UPB lighting.

In my case I needed one. I have two main panels and two sub panels. I tried different brands and different locations to find the best setup.

Very rarely though to answer the question honestly I had to say yes. Though one out of a hundred, maybe only one or two jobs would require it. I depend on phase alligning and have found better results. If several devices are in the network a coupler or a repeater would be priced in.

Define "needed". Anytime WAF is involved, the definition of "needed" becomes REAL wide. The first time the lights start to act flaky, the dog won't care, the kid's will think it's funny, but the wife......... :rolleyes:

Define "needed". Anytime WAF is involved, the definition of "needed" becomes REAL wide. The first time the lights start to act flaky, the dog won't care, the kid's will think it's funny, but the wife......... :axe:

Oh ain't that the truth. :rolleyes:

My phase coupler came with me UPB evaluation kit so I installed it even though my initial testing indicated I didn't need it. Two years later I think that anything that improves reliability in *any* way is worth it so were I to do another project I'd just add it in and forget about it.

The main reason I haven't installed mine yet is that I didn't want to give up 2 breakers if it isn't really needed.

I absolutely needed it. Tried to avoid a phase coupler but placed some new switches on a different subpanel which were out of phase from the PIM and I had very poor signal strentgh and inability to communicate. Once I placed the phase coupler it was fine.

The main reason I haven't installed mine yet is that I didn't want to give up 2 breakers if it isn't really needed.

Mine is an external "wire-in" module. Supposed to wire in, in parallel to the dryer (I think). I just made a new power branch in the box to power my Server Rack. I wired it into that.

Mine is an external "wire-in" module. Supposed to wire in, in parallel to the dryer (I think). I just made a new power branch in the box to power my Server Rack. I wired it into that.

I'm just an end user with an OmniProII and a few Cooper Zwave outlets and one switch. My installer used to push Zwave, but now says for the price and reliability, UPB is the way to go. I have two electrical panels in the house and I believe they both have no space left for any more breakers. I'm looking to expand lighting and other controls. What should I do? UPB? Zwave? Other?

Back