Update on my in wall wiring fiasco

jlehnert,

That's a good thought, but no nails. I checked for that before I started my drilling. As far as I can tell it's just a standard 2x4. I haven't even managed to get through the first layer of wood yet. Beneith this top 2x4 is some particle board which rests on 2 I beams which rests on another 2x4.

I'm going to have to take a break for the next week or so as I'm headed out to Albuquerque to visit some friends then head on up to Durango CO to do some work.

I'll have to ponder on this while I'm gone.

I got mine at Home Depot, it was in the same isle where the datacom stuff was, same shelf where you can find other long extension bits and fishing tape. I Can't find it on their site, but it's all black, and has a chuck with an L shaped wrench. I honestly think you need a high speed drill, my 14V drill couldn't get through my studs either, just not fast enough. I had a cheap old corded 1300rpm drill, which did the job without too much trouble.

I agree about the corded drill. That's some serious wood you are chewing through and the cordless drills don't spin very fast or have that much torque.

Eric

The key is all in the drill bit. You would be surprised on how fast a good cordless drill will cut through wood with a good drill bit. I recently helped a friend of mine install a central vacumm system. That required 2 inch hole though the studs. That $40 drill bit make all the difference - cut through it like butter.

Unfortunatly the first bit was a $40 auger style bit, but didn't seem to do bupkiss when it came to actually drilling the hole.

What I'm going to try to do is get another flexible extension and a standard size auger bit. If it still seems like I'm not getting anywhere then I may look into getting a heavier duty drill.

But I'm in Albuquerque for the next week or so and don't need to worry about it until later. :wacko:

Bahahah! I did it! I've got me my hole drilled!

Went out and picked me up on of these suckers after using my cordless with a 90 degree adapter let the magic smoke out. And we all know that once you let the magic smoke out of your tools or electronics it's virtually impossible to get the right amount back in to make it work right.

Total cost for a 3/8" diameter hole? Somewhere around $300. But that's ok. It's more than just the money. It's the blood, sweat and frustration that made it so much more expensive.

Now to buy all that Cat5e. WooHoo!

Back