USB Temperature sensor - Is there any?

KenM

Hi,

I am searching for a simple, inexpensive, temperature sensor that I can connect into a USB port (or WiFi). I am currently using Z-Wave and some minor INSTEON stuff.

My goal is to be able to have this sensor report a temperature to a HA system like HomeSeer, so that I can activate basic cooling or heating HA via a web interface. I trashed my old TempLinc months ago. It got too un-reliable. Too much noise I guess.

I write a lot of my own software so that is not a problem, a plug in solution would be great. If prodded enough, I could create a HS plugin for something like this.

I received today, a 'Go!temp' (from Vernier) USB sensor. I can make this work, as they offer up the SDK for free.

If any one knows of some type of temperature sensing software/hardware for a person on a budget; please chime in.

Ken

edit added:

The Go!Temp sensor looks like something a evil nurse might use, it is about seven inches long. I am hoping for a miniature sensor.
k

It may be overkill, but you could use a Labjack and make your own temperature sensor that could be pretty small.

I think Homeseer has a plug in for Labjack....

CT

Have you looked into One-Wire stuff from Dallas Semi

they have a USB adapter, cheap temp sensors and good development resourses . .

Pete C

PS. they are very accomodating to request for samples :(

Thanks all,

I had considered the Dallas '1-wire' devices but I was not sure if they had any support. The '1-wire' devices are new to me. Are any USB interfaces supported? If so, by who?

I would enjoy obtaining a SDK for these things. :( Anyone know how that might happen?

Regards,

Ken

KenM said:
Thanks all,

I had considered the Dallas '1-wire' devices but I was not sure if they had any support. The '1-wire' devices are new to me. Are any USB interfaces supported? If so, by who?

I would enjoy obtaining a SDK for these things. :D Anyone know how that might happen?

Regards,

Ken
Ken,

Dallas has an SDK for their 1-Wire masters.

Eric

Hi,

I am searching for a simple, inexpensive, temperature sensor that I can connect into a USB port (or WiFi). I am currently using Z-Wave and some minor INSTEON stuff.

My goal is to be able to have this sensor report a temperature to a HA system like HomeSeer, so that I can activate basic cooling or heating HA via a web interface. I trashed my old TempLinc months ago. It got too un-reliable. Too much noise I guess.

I write a lot of my own software so that is not a problem, a plug in solution would be great. If prodded enough, I could create a HS plugin for something like this.

I received today, a 'Go!temp' (from Vernier) USB sensor. I can make this work, as they offer up the SDK for free.

If any one knows of some type of temperature sensing software/hardware for a person on a budget; please chime in.

Ken

edit added:

The Go!Temp sensor looks like something a evil nurse might use, it is about seven inches long. I am hoping for a miniature sensor.
k

LM335 temperature sensors plugged in to an analog input module.
A top16 analog input module from tctec will give you up to 7 temperature inputs, and one input for a reference voltage (LM336)

A top16 analog input module from tctec will give you up to 7 temperature inputs, and one input for a reference voltage (LM336)
Are you getting adequate resolution with these temp sensors? At 10 millivolts per degrees Kelvin I wouldn't think you would get enough output for a typical resolution range needed for a home (say -30 to 110 degrees F).

Just as a FYI to all,

I ended up with (several) HomeSeer's HSM100s (Z-Wave). No wires, good and bad. The battery will eventually fail after about six to ten months. The 'good' part is that, on a weak battery, the temperature and light level readings seem to keep working while the motion part reports a continuous motion event.

Any more, I just replace the battery every five months. These things came to market after my original post.

enjoy HA!

ken

Are you getting adequate resolution with these temp sensors? At 10 millivolts per degrees Kelvin I wouldn't think you would get enough output for a typical resolution range needed for a home (say -30 to 110 degrees F).

-30 F = 238K = 2.38 Volts
110 F = 316K = 3.16 Volts

The input is 0 to 5 volts, 12 bit.

workable precision is better than 0.5 degree F, uncalibrated accuracy depends on LM335 sensor model, but +- 1 degree is normal.

Back