Using UPB Phase Couplers With Insteon

upstatemike

I have seen a few posts where people have successfully used a UPB Phase Coupler to bridge Insteon signals across electrical phases. I am thinking of trying this at some point but had a few questions for those who are doing it:

-Does it matter what brand coupler I use? I was thinking of using the Simply Automated ZPC-W.

-I assume X-10 signals would also get bridged to some extent?

-What are the pros and cons of doing this instead of bridging with a pair of Insteon RF modules as suggested by SmartHome?

Assuming that the UPB coupler is a high pass filter designed for UPB frequencies (4 - 40 kHz), then any other signal above that frequency should pass OK. Insteon uses a frequency of about 130KHz and X-10 uses 120kHz, which are both above the UPB carrier.

About the pros/cons:

I can only think that the Insteon is an active repeater, vs the UPB coupler that should be a passive coupler only (again, I assume).

elcano said:
About the pros/cons:

I can only think that the Insteon is an active repeater, vs the UPB coupler that should be a passive coupler only (again, I assume).
Not an issue since every Insteon device is also a repeater. Once the signal is on the other phase it will get plenty of boost.

Another Pro for using a UPB bridge would presumably be the transmission of Insteon Extended commands. I just found out today that the currently shipping RF Insteon Signalincs do not pass extended Insteon commands and only pass standard length commands.

Dave.

Back