Vizia RF+ Issues

IVB said:
works awesome, I love it. Integration with the Echo is key, I rarely use a device to manually turn on/off phones, just voice.

I have an Elk, but use the VRCOP with CQC. I'd imagine it would work fine with the Omni, since replication from ST to VRCOP is easy.  There's a SmartApp called Pollster to ensure the ST knows about manual or other changes. CQC knows about lights getting turned on/off.

Get one. Its only $100, works great for several of us. Then go buy an Echo. Or two. I'm contemplating getting a 3rd...

How about using something like Siri with an Apple Phone or watch, so you don't have to be near the Echo for voice control?

Awesome!  I already have an Echo (just set it up three days ago), and I'm in the final stages of getting rgraciano's / jishi's Sonos integration working with it.  It's way cool to be able to control music from the Echo, and I can only imagine how much better controlling lights will be once I can speak the commands instead of walking to a switch or wading through menus on an iPhone.  There are a couple of other community written apps out there for getting Echo to control Z-Wave, but I like the concept of a commercial device with built-in direct support, so hearing that it works well and still allows the VRCOP to control lights is excellent news.

You mentioned replication from the ST to VRCOP.  All of my configuration is currently in my VRCOP, so what I really need is the ability to go from VRCOP to ST.  Is that supported?

Also, I'm a little leery about turning on polling in the ST.  I'm already having a strange problem with my Vizia RF+ devices sometimes missing Z-Wave commands or taking a long time to respond to them.  Polling might exacerbate that problem if it floods the Z-Wave mesh network with new traffic.  Can you control how often ST polls the switches?  I have 50+ Vizia RF+ devices, so a complete system poll could generate significant mesh traffic.

BTW, have you used ST with Sonos?  From the posts I've read, the ST is extremely weak in this area.  I'm fine with the community developed solution that I currently have, but I'm curious to know your thoughts on the ST implementation.  Until Sonos releases their API, everything out there seems to be a reverse engineered solution, with the expected glitches.  It's truly incredible that Sonos hasn't done an API until now.  That seems like a really major oversight on their part.

Sonos with SmartThings is OK.  I would agree that it's weak compared to what we (here at CT) might be used to, but it's better than other alternatives.

SmartThings has the ability to work as a secondary controller - there are advanced z-wave functions, including a 'Learn Controller' command so you *should* be able to replicate over to it.  I never tried it that way.

cobra: no, SmartThings is not compatible with HomeKit (Siri).

jkmonroe said:
cobra: no, SmartThings is not compatible with HomeKit (Siri).

Oh, no, I was thinking of Omni - HomeKit integration, not SmartThings.  Sorry I didn't say that.

edit:  Although I see Homebridge has a plugin for SmartThings, so are you saying that does not work?  I have not tried it with SmartThings, but it is a path to Siri support, if working.

Sonos has an 'API' technically. It's just a UPnP based media renderer, with some custom UPnP services as well. That's how we and various others interface to it.

I realize people are interfacing with the Sonos system, but from what I've heard, Sonos is working on an official API that has yet to be released.  I've seen posts that indicate the developers at SmartThings are "waiting for the official API" before they fix some issues.  It could be that this was old information, but I gathered that it's relatively current and that Sonos is still actively working on releasing something official.

It seems odd to me that Sonos hasn't worked with Amazon to deliver a fully integrated skill for the Echo product.  Being able to control Sonos from spoken commands would be a huge (and obvious) benefit.  For now the community developed solutions are working, even if they're not quite as polished (e.g. seamless bi-directional flow of data so things such as Room Names, Artist Names, Favorites, etc. don't have to be hard coded into Amazon's Alexa Interaction Model).

looks like all questions answered. 

The one thing i'll add, I don't think I mentioned it here (or elsewhere on CT) is that I almost never use an app anymore for manual commands. Its all voice. security system, lights, HVAC, TV&receiver off, etc.  I couldn't tell you the last time I manually armed security or got up to turn a light on/off.

I have 2 Echo's on either side of a 1 level 25x75 foot house. I *might* get a 3rd one as one is in a corner on one end so I could put the other in another corner. I'm finding if I raise my voice to a "loud talk" level (not yell), the echo will pick it up.

I also had to name my lights in a simpler way to increase VR accuracy. I also have to pause between "night" and "stand", I can't just say "turn on/off nightstand light" in typical IVB fast-new yorker speak. My wife, who was brought up in california, has no such issues since she's not a fast mumbler.

IVB, I bought a SmartThings Hub V2, but I haven't figured out how to add it to my Z-Wave network.  If I navigate to the ST Z-Wave Utilities menu using the app on my iPad, and select the option to join an existing Z-Wave network, then go into Leviton's VR Installer Tool and "Include" a new device, the Installer Tool never "sees" the ST try to join the network.  On the ST side, it pauses for a little bit while it's supposedly looking for a network to join, then it says it joined a network, but there are no Z-Wave devices listed in ST, so I'm pretty sure it never did anything.

How did you get your ST to "see" all of your Z-Wave devices?  There's no way I'm going to try to move the ST Hub all over my house with power and network cables dragging behind me just so I can manually add every switch to it.

Thanks.

TBH I wanted to spit on then destroy RFIT. I sucked it up and rebuilt the whole network with ST as primary and replicated to the VRCOP. I only had to move it twice for 24ish devices as the mesh grabbed most of them.  Its got battery power so you only need a network cable.

Ugh. I've got >50 switches, and when I've been using RFIT I've had to be right up close to the switch for it to "read". I thought the inclusion function only operated a short distance from the switch and not with the help of the mesh network?

I have a few network jacks around the house, but it's still going to require a REALLY long network cable to make this work. Surely ST must have a way of getting the Z-Wave network information from something that's wireless? I can't believe they expect you to drag it all over the house when it doesn't even support WiFi.

Once you got everything in ST, how did you replicate to VRCOP? Did it allow you to set up the Reverse Associations that I believe are required for the VRCOP to get status updates from every device?

While the RFIT tool is a pain in the rear to work with (and the inconsistent test results it provides don't inspire much confidence) it does have a fairly decent number of tools to help troubleshoot things, and I can't see completely giving those up unless there are equivalent troubleshooting tools in other packages out there.

The other issue with starting over is that then I'll have to completely repopulate the PC Access Z-Wave tables so my OmniPro will be able to continue talking to the correct switches. It sounds like a LOT of work just to get ST talking to my light switches so Alexa can control them. OpenHab might be a more palatable solution if ST doesn't have some way of joining my existing network.

2MuchTech said:
IVB, I bought a SmartThings Hub V2, but I haven't figured out how to add it to my Z-Wave network.  If I navigate to the ST Z-Wave Utilities menu using the app on my iPad, and select the option to join an existing Z-Wave network, then go into Leviton's VR Installer Tool and "Include" a new device, the Installer Tool never "sees" the ST try to join the network.  On the ST side, it pauses for a little bit while it's supposedly looking for a network to join, then it says it joined a network, but there are no Z-Wave devices listed in ST, so I'm pretty sure it never did anything.

Usually you would add the secondary (like you tried.)  Then the secondary would be visible in the primary installer list (in this case the Leviton software.)  At that point, the Leviton software allows updating the secondary controller.

Does the SmartThings appear in the Leviton device list?  It sounds like no, which means it may not be able to detect the SmartThings.  Are you using the latest Leviton software (not all that recent, I think it's from 2012?)

2MuchTech said:
Ugh. I've got >50 switches, and when I've been using RFIT I've had to be right up close to the switch for it to "read". I thought the inclusion function only operated a short distance from the switch and not with the help of the mesh network?

I have a few network jacks around the house, but it's still going to require a REALLY long network cable to make this work. Surely ST must have a way of getting the Z-Wave network information from something that's wireless? I can't believe they expect you to drag it all over the house when it doesn't even support WiFi.

Once you got everything in ST, how did you replicate to VRCOP? Did it allow you to set up the Reverse Associations that I believe are required for the VRCOP to get status updates from every device?

While the RFIT tool is a pain in the rear to work with (and the inconsistent test results it provides don't inspire much confidence) it does have a fairly decent number of tools to help troubleshoot things, and I can't see completely giving those up unless there are equivalent troubleshooting tools in other packages out there.

The other issue with starting over is that then I'll have to completely repopulate the PC Access Z-Wave tables so my OmniPro will be able to continue talking to the correct switches. It sounds like a LOT of work just to get ST talking to my light switches so Alexa can control them. OpenHab might be a more palatable solution if ST doesn't have some way of joining my existing network.

yes, it's a lot of work, no question.  as far as adding as secondary, it wasn't attempted because so many of us wanted to ditch the VRUSB/RFIT.  so the current working config is ST as primary, VRC0P as secondary.  with that scenario, it does work fine, with a little bit of tweaking necessary.  definitely a time consuming project.

i did a webinar a while back to get this all configured and working, but im not sure it ever got recorded.  have to check with IVB.

i highly doubt RFIT will recognize the ST controller considering it doesn't work with Cooper Aspire RF.

that webinar wasn't recorded, it was when neither of us could figure out why paid domains couldn't do a "hangout on air".

The ST works a lot further than the VRUSB in my experience. Whereas the VRUSB had to be within a foot or two, my ST was only moved once for 95% of devices (left it in a location 10-15 feet and 1-2 walls away). I only had to move it uber close for the zone & scene multi-button controllers.

cobra/jkmonroe: Yes, I have ver 1.1.2.0.  It's really hard to believe they haven't updated this thing in 3 years.  Anyway, I don't follow your reference to the Cooper Aspire RF... is that the same company that makes the SmartThings hardware for Samsung?  The RFIT never sees any Z-Wave device attempting to join the network when I try to add the ST Hub, and while the ST Hub tells me it has been added, I think it's a bug, because there's no evidence of any Z-Wave devices in the ST Hub list of connected devices.

IVB: So if I go the route of making the ST Hub my primary, how do I get the VRC0P set up?  Does ST Hub have a way of setting up the Reverse Associations?  Without these in place, won't I lose the status updates from the switches that let the OmniPro II keep track of the current state of switches, even if the user presses the switch instead of turning it on or off from the OmniPro?  Maybe I'm confusing two different technologies, but I was under the impression that the Vizia RF+ switches were the only Z-Wave switches that allowed the OmniPro to see status changes that were initiated somewhere other than the OmniPro itself, and I assumed this was accomplished via the Reverse Associations back to the VRC0P.

Finally, I've seen several posts that indicate the ST Hub doesn't really know how to handle the Zone and Scene controller Leviton devices.  I have several of these 4 button controllers in my house, and it would be bad if the ST Hub didn't know how to talk to them (assuming I set it up as the primary controller).

Press&hold the VRCOP programming button, press "connect new device" on the ST app, then bada bing it replicaes.

re:zone/scene controllers: I have 1 zone, 3 scene. I was able to get the individual loads they control into ST. There's supposedly a smartapp that allows for more/full control but I haven't had the time to do that. 2 of my 3 scene only do individual loads no scenes, i got them as they were the only dual switch/single gang option. Losing the other 3 buttons on the zone plus the 1 on the single load scene has sucked, but right now i'm going HOG WILD getting the echo to control both zWave and all CQC stuff via voice command so its less relevant. I do want the buttons to work at some point, but I have an echo near both of them, so I can just use my voice for what I was using manual control.  I'm actually making a note of every time I need to pull out my phone or approach a physical device, and coding up echo->cqc commands. Within a few weeks my house will be at star trek levels.

With all apologies to Robert Frost, "And that <voice control> has made all the difference".

Back