Web Server for

I was wondering about the IR sensitivity thing too. One day I was home watching TV while I had ML on my security cam scene. I was changing channels or soething on the TV when I noticed that I could see the IR signal coming from the remote with the cheap webcam I had in the living room. I then tested the other two cameras in the house and they all could see the IR LED on the remote, so I assume they'd be able to see something illuminated by IR as well. None of these cameras were advertised as "IR sensitive" (2 are USB webcams and the other is Smarthomes Teddy Cam [That I got on sale for $49]).

The only place I need one is in the baby's room, becuase we can't see him with the lights out. I think one of those big IR spotlights like AO sells, would be overkill (an even though IR light is not visible, I cannot beleive that the IR light does not somehow effect us (I've read that children who sleep with night lights when they are very young are more likely to have vision difficulties when they are older, and my 8-month old is already wearing glasses - REALLY). So I'd like to minimize the amount of rays being aimed at him. I've considered buying a handfull of IR LEDs from RatShack and wiring them to an approriate walwart (I think I've got a 2-volt'r around the house somewhere). I figure I could start off with 1 or 2 and see if they provide sufucet illumination, and add or suibtract LEDs from there. I think they sell for a little less than $2 each. And there small size will make them easy to conceal in the room/teddy.

Just about all of these camera sensors are sensitive to certain frequency ranges of IR and near IR. Most better color cameras have filters in front of the sensor to minimize the IR that gets through - this prevents some strange looking colors. It's not necessary for most black and white cameras since the colors don't really show up. Black and white cameras are usually more sensitive to IR and you can get away with less illumination.

The other alternative, and this is what I'd consider for a child's room, is to go with black and white cameras that are more sensitive in dim light. Unless the room is "pitch black," some of these cameras may be ok without any IR illumination.

Back