What is the largest switch box you can buy?

MStan

Hi, what is the largest plastic electrical switch box you can buy? I have found 4 gang but I am in need of a 6 gang.

I know you can put metal boxes together but I wanted to stay with plastic for ZWAVE switches.

Thanks,
Mark

Well, there are 6 gang faceplates so there has to be 6 gang boxes. Probably a special order at an electrical distributor. Most modern homes I think they are trying to get away from wall clutter. Can't use use multiload switches, or scene switches to reduce the number of gangs needed?

Well, there are 6 gang faceplates so there has to be 6 gang boxes. Probably a special order at an electrical distributor. Most modern homes I think they are trying to get away from wall clutter. Can't use use multiload switches, or scene switches to reduce the number of gangs needed?

I know their are metal boxes that can be put together to make a 6 gang box but I need a plastic box for zwave to work
it's best.

Also reducing wall clutter is a good idea but I still need to install a switch for the scene controller to control. They do not
make a multi-load zwave switch. So I need a box for each load controlling switch.

Thanks
Mark

I know their are metal boxes that can be put together to make a 6 gang box but I need a plastic box for zwave to work
it's best.

Also reducing wall clutter is a good idea but I still need to install a switch for the scene controller to control. They do not
make a multi-load zwave switch. So I need a box for each load controlling switch.

Thanks
Mark

Can;t yo uhave a 6 gang 'out of sight' and then a 1 or 2 gang scene switch?

it's best.

Thanks
Mark

Can;t yo uhave a 6 gang 'out of sight' and then a 1 or 2 gang scene switch?

Yes but then comes the issue about resale, it limits potential buyers.

I think it's best not to move switch locations too much so that the house can be put back to the non-automated condition.

What do you think?

Aren't there inline modules or something you can use with a scene switch to limit the # of load switches? If you absolutely need all 6 and can't find any 6's, what about 2 3's either next to each other or on top of each other. Guess it all depends on the wall space. But 6 gands are also tough for people to remember what is what. You'll almost certainly need one of those engraved faceplates.

I'm not aware of any plastic boxes more than 4 gang. You can buy gangable metal boxes or a premade 6 gang metal box. If you are dead set on plastic, then you might consider two 3 gang boxes mounted in an "over/under" configuration. Good luck.

How about a 20 gang like the PCS LCP?

LCP-U.gif

Image shown is with 15 1000 watt dimmers. With 600 watt dimmers you can get 20 switches in there.

Seriously though, I agree, minimize the wall clutter if you can.

I just had a new fan/light/heater put in in my bathrooms and the 4 switches all fit in a two gang that has them toggle horizontally using a four outlet plate. They are not automated and I don't really plan to make them automated so this works for me. This would be an option if you want to use a smaller box for your keypads now and then switch to manual switches later without needing a bigger box. I have also seen add-on boxes that just clip on to an existing box, but I don't know if they make HV as well as LV versions.

Allied Moulded makes a 5 gang box part # 5305-nk , also I have found up to 8 gang "rings" to combine line and low voltage under 1 plate from OEM Systems. I have used a 8 gang hi/low box (not just a add on ring)and plate which came with divider plates which was made by OEM . I am not sure if they still make it but look here and you can see several large gang setups and part numbers and you might be able to track it down some where.http://www.hometech.com/acrobat/sy-hilo8.pdf P.s. check into getting it engraved @ www.rightplate.com as well . good luck .

You might look at Centralite. You can get 6-8 switches in a single gang mud ring. If you're not dead set on zwave anyway.

Allied Moulded makes a 5 gang box part # 5305-nk , also I have found up to 8 gang "rings" to combine line and low voltage under 1 plate from OEM Systems. I have used a 8 gang hi/low box (not just a add on ring)and plate which came with divider plates which was made by OEM . I am not sure if they still make it but look here and you can see several large gang setups and part numbers and you might be able to track it down some where.http://www.hometech.com/acrobat/sy-hilo8.pdf P.s. check into getting it engraved @ www.rightplate.com as well . good luck .

So far I have ordered the Allied 5 gang boxes, the 8 gang by OEM is not made any longer, their was a problem with the UL approval.

They might have been made at one time tho.

I would be interested in any old stock.

Thanks for the tip.

Mark

Back