What wiring is needed for cameras?

johnnynine

In the "Wiring your house 101" document there is information on what is needed but I would like a little further clarification.

It looks like the kind of wiring that is required depends on the camera. It would be low voltage or 110v, it could be cat5 or coax.

Is there a more common standard that I can use since I have no idea what camera I might end up using and I don't can't run that much wire?

This is a tough one to specifically answer since you "have no idea what camera" you would use.

If you want to keep your options open run a pair of 18g wire, plus an RG-6 coax plus a cat5e runs to the camera location. This way you would be set up for anything from a high current draw, multi-LED night vision camera to an IP based one.

do you mean in addition to the 18-2 plus coax? If so, then i'd think so as CAT5 can handle the paltry data transmission that an IP camera would generate.

However, if you opt for a combo unit, such as my motion sensor/camera, then CAT5 may be too thin for the motion sensor run as it's only 24g. You might be able to biwire the CAT5 pairs for each of the 3 motion sensor wires, i haven't tried that so I couldn't say for sure.

Just to confirm, thats:

One 2x18 (for power)
One RG-6 (for video)
One Cat5 (for video)

You mention high current, but will 2x18 support?

johnnynine said:
Just to confirm, thats:

One 2x18 (for power)
One RG-6 (for video)
One Cat5 (for video)

You mention high current, but will 2x18 support?
2-18 will be more than enough to handle the draw for a camera. I use CCTV cameras and for some, I use two pair in a CAT5 cable for power. They actually could run on just a single pair. They don't draw much. Most CCTV cameras are composite output so use RG6.

In fact in one of the message strings there were some CCTV cameras for sale and at good price. The CCTV cameras and lenses usually have much better quality images. I believe I remember seeing camera enclosures also for sale in the same message.

kyham said:
2-18 will be more than enough to handle the draw for a camera. I use CCTV cameras and for some, I use two pair in a CAT5 cable for power. They actually could run on just a single pair. They don't draw much. Most CCTV cameras are composite output so use RG6.
I ended up running RG6 and 4x22gauge... that's all I had and timing was critical.

I figure I can double up the 22awg wire to get an effective 19awg.

Every CCTV camera I have seen uses 18awg wire so I would assume 19awg will be fine (especially if Don is using 24awg doubled up for his cameras).

Has anyone seen an online calculator or even formula for determining the required gauge wire for a particular volt and amperage?

Back