Where is the RS232 protocol for the Caddx NX8E?

timkur

I'm comparing the functionality between the Caddx and the ELK M1. I was able to find the RS232 protocol pretty easily in the elk website, but no such luck on the GE website.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Tim

I believe this question was asked a while ago here on this forum. Might try searching for it (I forget what the answer was).

I'm also thinking huggy59 might know. Maybe shoot him a PM.

As far as functionality, I've used both and the Elk M1 gold wins hands down. It costs a lot more, but you are getting a lot more options and capabilities.

But, if you JUST want a plain security system, the NX8e would work out very well for you, especially if you are considering using HomeSeer as there is a plugin for it. There are some add on boards such as a relay output module, but not many other features.

... or if you want to connect a different automation system (Homevision, Stargate, etc). The NX8e works very well integrated to other systems (it's transparent to my HVPro system that the security IO is on the Caddx hardware)

I'm using the serial port... but I don't know anything about the protocol. I simply set up a couple parameters in the NX8e and then told my HVPro it's a NX8e that it's talking to - and I was done. Took less than 2 minutes to connect the first time.

I was planning on using a PC for an automation controller... I'll need to have one anyways to drive the RedRadio touchscreens I was planning on using... and so I figure why spend more on the Elk and get a second automation controller.

However, I'd want to make sure the Caddx supports everything I needed via the RS232 before I go down that path.

I tried doing some searches and didn't come up with anything. I'll try and be more creative with my keywords and see if I can't find something.

Thanks

Tim

Nevermind.... I found it.

Post had the title

"Looking for the NX-8e Gateway Interface Protocol".

Tim

timkur said:
I was planning on using a PC for an automation controller... I'll need to have one anyways to drive the RedRadio touchscreens I was planning on using... and so I figure why spend more on the Elk and get a second automation controller.
Uh, because you want it to work reliably? My PC has been down a lot more than the M1. Seriously, I believe most people have a pc also for graphic interfaces, supplemental HA stuff, etc, but I prefer to have my core and critical stuff like lighting on a no brainer leave it alone reliable controller.

If you are set on having a pc running a complete HA package then I agree it is not worth getting an Elk just for security unless you consider the less expensive EZ8.

If I go with INSTEON-style light switches, they'll still work (turn lights on and off) if my HA PC goes down, right? It's just lighting rules (timers, linked to security sensors, etc) that would cease to function?

Thanks

Tim

Sure, all automated switches also work as a regular switch. But the whole point of having automated switches is that they do the automatic things you want. So if you have rules that do things like shut lights off at a certain time it would be ugly for that not to work, especially if say you were on vacation when the pc crapped out or got a virus or whatever and you couldn't get to it. Lots of people run HA on a pc and are quite happy. A dedicated controller is just my preference and opinion. I think it is more reliable and dependable - a box that just runs 24x7 with no moving parts, heat issues, updates, virus potential, etc. It will also run > 24 hours on a battery - more than any 'normal' and more expensive UPS will give you - YMMV.

Steve said:
Sure, all automated switches also work as a regular switch.
Steve, Would the PIM be able to turn the lights on/off as per an established schedule (like a dummy controller with timer), if the PC goes dead? I know some X-10 PIM could do it but I dont know about Insteon's.

timkur, depending on your security needs you might find it critical that the outdoor lights turn on in case that your outdoor sensor detects something. You might want to warn both the burglar and the people inside the house that the alarm detected the intruder using a voice message (he will better opt to leave). In the same way, you might want to trigger other actions whenever the alarm detects a burglary situation.

I define my HA system in levels. The lowest level (level 1) includes security and lightning. The second level is convenience and the third level is entertainment. For me, I dont want a PC controlling level 1. Its not secure enough. If the PC fails all the elements of the security system will be isolated (sensors and siren will work, but I will not receive a phone call or email, and the house will not turn on the lights).

For convenience in a PC I just risk WAF - not to be taken lightly, but I can risk it to a PC if the value proposition is good. For entertainment I dont have any option. PC is the way to go.

There is the value of the M1. You have an integrated alarm and automation controller that will integrate level 1 without problems.

elcano said:
Steve, Would the PIM be able to turn the lights on/off as per an established schedule (like a dummy controller with timer), if the PC goes dead? I know some X-10 PIM could do it but I dont know about Insteon's.
I know UPB has a dedicated timer module and I think Insteon may have something similar. I believe these are designed for people that have nothing but the switches themselves - no pc or other controller and want simple timer control. Don't know if it can be 'activated' by a remote signal. You would not want it running if the pc was online but would need a way to get it online if you were not home.

Back