Where to buy Elk M1 from?

Hi,

I know there are a number of places on the internet to purchase the equipment from but I want to know where would you guys shop? Obviously price matters but since I will be installing the system myself it's important to buy from a place that offers support and knows what the heck they are talking about. Thanks.

Kevin

Ditto on AO for a DIY install. If you are a Pro there are local distributors all over the USA.

I would call AO and tell them you are a Cocooner.

What makes them so good for a diy install? Is their support that good where I can just pick up the phone and call them if I have a problem?

If you buy from a CTVA member, your experience will be awesome (Automated Outlet is a member!). Most of the CTVA members will offer you a really good deal (just mention CocoonTech), and you can be sure that you are buying from an authorized seller.

CTVA membership is completely free, so I don't get any commission if you buy from them, but these companies have gone out of their way to support this community, so they do deserve the special attention :p

got it. I did find a couple of places that the prices were really good. I am not looking for the best deal, but a good deal with great support. I don't mind paying more from someone I know will be there to help.

What makes them so good for a diy install? Is their support that good where I can just pick up the phone and call them if I have a problem?

Yes. They have several people on staff to provide technical assistance for all of the brands that they sell. I have bought from another distributor here in NY just 15 minutes from my house, I can go there and pick up the item, but they dont have a clue how to install it. I have installed enough that it does not matter but for a DIY starting out tech support and a good return policy (in case you buy the wrong item or change your mind) are very important.

When I replace my current alarm, when the current monitoring contract expires, I'll be buying it from AO - for the good support, and the good prices.

Another vote for AutomatedOutlet here, i've talked to both martin and brandon from AO plenty of times, both really knowledgeable about the products they sell, and can help you out with what you'll need. I ended up picking up my nuvo, elk, and lots of elk accessories from them, and they'll cram it all together and ship it for $9 usually.

Definitely mention CT to them - they have a sort of "friends club" and will likely work with you on better pricing than you'll see on the web-site.

6 (?) years ago I bought the first ELK M1G from Smarthome USA.

But I had no time to test & install it at once.
Because I'm in the US only every 6 or some month (and therefore I need this remote-control-item).
When I finaly installed it, the warrenty-time was over .. and it turned out, the new bought controll-board (CB) was not working.
Maybe I got from this source not a new CB, but a returned one.

Finaly the customer servive of ELK helped me.
Brad Weeks, who is managing this important part of the company instructed me to locate the point of malfunction and finaly replaced the defect CB for free!

Also later this guy was very helpfull.
Some incidents happenend because in my area (East Texas) there are frequent thunderstorms.
And they destroyed several CBs, regardless if they were under warranty or not (until I installed several ELK-950 Telephone and Low Voltage AC Line Surge Suppressor module etc)
Whenever I had a problem Brad weeks was at the other end at the ELK-Company, -
and always my problems were solved very fast, and in a very fair way for realy reasonable prices.

Does AO or any other CTVA member that is an authorized Elk dealer have a way of giving a buyer the "CT discount" without having to call them on each order to get the discount prices?

Ira

I have had very good experience with Aartech. Haven't tried having AO ship to canada yet although I likely will as they happen to stock some stuff that I can't find up in the great white north.

Back