Which Home Automation software do you use?

Sacedog

UPDATE: I tried to edit the poll, and it erased all fo the responses. So I created a new poll, with more choices, and hardware systems too. If you voted on the original one, please vote again. If your software or hardware system is not listed, please select Other.

I realize that there are other HA software apps out there, and that these are a very small percentage. I am looking to capture the primary, commercially available, HA packages, that are usable by someone without an EE degree.

If there is one I missed that you think should be on the list, reply, and I will get it added.

If you vote, please also respond why you chose that particular software, or maybe why you didn't choose one of the others.

Wow, this thread could be a complete disaster. Let's try to keep it "clean" without any personal attacks.

I use CQC. Honestly it was really the only software that I tested well. What attracted me to it was the single fee (instead of a-la-carte pricing). I really had hardly started any HA when I bought CQC, so I knew that I would be adding lots of equipment as time went along. I wasn't sure exactly what my system would look like in the end (I still don't) so the flat price was very attractive since it was a known variable. I was affraid that with a-la-carte pricing, it might cost me a lot more money in the end since I wasn't sure exactly what modules I would need. The yearly fee is also a know variable that I can plan for and I think it is money well spent to be able to get the ongoing updates.

The CQC member base was also attractive to me. Everyone has been extremely helpful, especially when I was completely clueless (I'm only 50% clueless now). I've also had members step up and write device drivers for me for free. That type of support is priceless and is one of the biggest advantages to CQC IMHO.

I own many but dont use them (use an ISY). Please add Powerhome as it is a great product as are all of them on the list in their own way.

I'd like to see hardware controllers on the list too. Many of them are quite feature rich.

Such as:

Convergent Living
Cortexa
Elk
HAI
etc.

I personally use Home Control Assistant (HCA), but that's not on the list. I found HCA to be great for the basic user, but it has the ability to do just about anything for the techie user.

May I suggest that the list include the HA apps found in the HA System Comparison spreadsheet:
Omnipotence ECS
PowerHome
Homeseer
CQC
MainLobby
Girder
Premise
Vcrib
Adaptive Home Logic
Home Control Assistant
Housebot
mControl
HAL
HEYU
MisterHouse
Indigo
Fellow Cocooners have taken the time to update the spreadsheet so it's a safe bet that it reflects what we use.

I use Premise because it provides tremendous power and flexibility for zero dollars. This is a well-documented, commercial-grade product, developed by a team of extremely bright people, and sold to professional integrators and DIYers ... until Motorola ceased development and released it to the public for free.

I compared Premise to current products, in the $0 - $250 dollar range, and I found no reason to go with the competition. HA software is the glue that binds disparate systems into one cohesive entity ... architectural design and a good programming model are the keys to long-term success. Premise is 'gorilla glue' ... its eight year-old architecture can still be extended to accomodate new devices and technologies. If nothing else, you have to marvel at how far a good object-oriented design can go!

Premise suits my needs and the technologies I use. It has an attractive, web-based user-interface and a reasonable number of drivers. However, if you want an HA app with a slick, custom user-interface and access to a huge driver library, you should choose one of the mainstream products selling north of $200.

For Security I use an ELK M1; a Premise driver gives me full control of the M1.

Sorry, but had to start the poll over from scratch. When I tried to add new options, it erased all of the responses.

If your system is not listed, you will have to use other, as I do not want ot edit it again. :eek:

I took advice, and used the comparison spreadsheets as a guide.

HomeLogic with an ELK M1 for security. The ELK also comes in handy for doing certain automation tasks when used in conjunction with the integration offered by HomeLogic.

Homeseer 1.7 since it works, already paid for it, and nothing newer worth moving over to... e.g. no value add for me.

Back