Whither goest outputs 4,5, and 6?

So where are outputs 4 through 6 on an M1?

On page 7 of the Reference Manual, it documents outputs 1-3 and 7-16. Where are outputs 4-6?

If they don't exist, why not label the outputs 1-13?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

So where are outputs 4 through 6 on an M1?

On page 7 of the Reference Manual, it documents outputs 1-3 and 7-16. Where are outputs 4-6?

If they don't exist, why not label the outputs 1-13?

Inquiring minds want to know! :)

I would guess for consistency the first output expander would start at 17 just like the zone expanders.

Or maybe you have to pay the extra $1.380 for the M1GOLD Deluxe version that has outputs 4, 5, and 6 :)

per page 11 of the manual
Outputs 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 are low current, positive (+) voltage only, for driving LEDs, relays, etc. Outputs 4,
5, and 6 ARE NOT available from the main board. They can only be accessed with a data bus Output expander set to
address 1.
This expander will replicate main board outputs 7 thru 16, while also including outputs 4, 5, and 6.
So, if you really need them, it will cost you an output expander.

The real answer is a long story that goes back many years on why there is no outputs 4,5,6.

The M1 was designed to be plug compatible with the old Moose Products Z1100's J16 connector. The J16 connector only had 10 outputs, therefore to flow into the next output expander, we started at output 7 going up to output 16.

The timers exist for outputs 4,5,and 6, just not the physical output connection.

per page 11 of the manual
Outputs 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 are low current, positive (+) voltage only, for driving LEDs, relays, etc. Outputs 4,
5, and 6 ARE NOT available from the main board. They can only be accessed with a data bus Output expander set to
address 1.
This expander will replicate main board outputs 7 thru 16, while also including outputs 4, 5, and 6.
So, if you really need them, it will cost you an output expander.

Spanky's reply was in tune with my search for the "real reason" behind this numbering quirk. "Backwards compatibility" makes one do funny things. :)

WayneW's response makes me realize no matter how many times I re-read the Reference Manual I can't recall everything.
He also made me reconsider how I'm going to connect my M1RB and M1XOVR boards.

Scenario 1: Connect the M1RB to the M1's J16 connector and the M1XOVR to the Databus.
M1 --(J16)--> M1RB
M1 --(Bus)--> M1XOVR
  • This scenario provides access to outputs 7-24.
  • The M1RB provides access to outputs 7-16. It provides 7 and 8 as voltage outputs and 9-16 as relays.
  • The M1XOVR provides access to outputs 17-24 (all relays).
  • Outputs 4, 5, and 6 are not available in this scenario.
But, I guess I should set the M1XOVR to address #2, yes? According to the manual, if I set it to address #1 it will replicate outputs 7-16 and, I believe, it will "collide" with the M1RB. However, does it present a problem if there is no expander set to address #1?

Scenario 2: Connect the M1XOVR to the Databus and the M1RB to the M1XOVR's J3 connector.
M1 --(Bus)--> M1XOVR --(J3)--> M1RB
  • If I understand the concept correctly, this scenario will provide access to outputs 4-21.
  • The M1XOVR provides access to outputs 4-11 (all relays).
  • The M1RB provides access to outputs 12-21. It provides 12 and 13 as voltage outputs and 14-21 as relays.
In this scenario, the M1XOVR is set to address #1 and the M1's J16 connector should not be used with other expanders.

Have I described these scenarios correctly? Have I missed anything?

I reviewed the documentation for the M1XOVR and it states that if set to address #1 it will provide outputs 1-16. (?)

OK, now I'm REALLY confused!

Spanky said it would provide access to outputs 4-6 but if it replicates 1-16, wouldn't it overlap with the M1's onboard outputs 1-3? I assumed it would override 7-16 but I can't believe it would do the same for 1-3.

Can someone please shed some light on what happens when you set an M1XOVR to address #1?

<< b u m p >>

What happens when you set an M1XOVR card to address #1?

The docs claim it will duplicate outputs 1-16 ... so wouldn't that conflict with outputs 1-16 on the M1G? Are the outputs on the M1G automagically disabled?

All the output state data is broadcast on the data bus. If you set an expander to address 1, the expander will pickup the output 1 to 16 state data. ie. Output 1 siren is active will trigger the first relay on the output expander set to address 1. The output expander will not be supervised for disconnection or loss, but it will activate its relays when the M1's outputs 1-16 are active. If you write a Rule to turn on output 4 - 6 the output expander's relay will activate.

OK, thanks for clearing it up Spanky. The output expander will not conflict with, nor supercede, the M1G's outputs 1-16 but will simply duplicate them.

If I set the expander to address #1 I will gain access to outputs 4, 5, and 6. However, I "lose" the use of three relays on the expander because they duplicate outputs 1, 2, and 3.

I think I'm better off with Scenario #1 where I set the M1XOVR expander to address #2 and connect the M1RB directly to the M1G.

Back