Who has Nuvo Music Port?

well, still no luck after doing the suggested restart method. Any other ideas?
I've uninstalled and reinstalled MCS but it seems the same settings were in place on reinstall. Anyone know where those settings/config files are located so I can do a full uninstall and try again?

Not sure what else to do at this point? If I can't see my sources , see meta information or control the sources/artists from the control pad what would be the right direction? Does the MP use the serial connections for this information or just Nuvonet link?

thanks
Jeff

In order to get a complete uninstall you need to go to the last tab on the MCS Server and there's a button to remove the license. Do that, then uninstall, reboot, and when you reinstall it will be a "fresh" install. Ensure you have your license key before doing this.....

I registered to post just to tell you that you guys rock! I downloaded the beta software and I have Pandora playing as we speak. Never would have found it without you.

The music port has been a bit of a pain. When I initially set it up a couple of months ago I thought it wasn't going to work at all. I went to bed discouraged and woke up and all the sudden it was working. I think the Nuvo had to index the music or something and it took a little time? Then most of the albums were appearing twice, so it would play every song twice. I went in and tried to delete the duplicates in Windows Media Player which took care of that problem for the most part. I think iTunes creates a duplicate of all your songs when you say ok to letting it index songs? I think that is probably why there were 2 of most things. I deleted some of the songs that were in 2 places and I was going to try to redo the Windows Media library, but I couldn't delete it because the file was in use. I think the music port had it tied up.

Because of my screwing around with it at the moment the Windows Media Player library on the computer that the music port is hooked up to is blank and yet the keypad's library is populated. Couldn't tell you why and I haven't had the time to look into it. I am sure I will figure it out eventually, but meanwhile I am listening to Pandora and I am very happy about it.

Thanks guys!

I also have the duplicate song issue...which i havent spend a lot of time trying to solve. It seems to be itunes related since my ipod actually is having double now as well.

I run Win2k3 server on the machine that runs MCS. I have had very little issues and have had Music Port working for nearly a year now. My main issue is making the newer versions of ITunes work with WIn2k3 which is proving a bit of a biatch. So i havent been able to upgrade my itunes.

All my music is stored on the server and the MCS itunes and my desktop itunes share the same library. If my wife downloads something in itunes it will appear on the keypads about 10 minutes later. This all worked well untill recently when it stopped working.. some sort of windows permissions issue i think which i havent spent time researching.

Is it possible to have Itunes new purchases be in MP3 format? Currently MCS uses Itunes because new purchases are AAC so when the wife downloads anything WMP wouldn't play it. I've tried some plugins to make WMP play AAC but they've all been less than perfect (songs would play, but metadata woudn't display etc).

ok... win2k3 server is history and MCS is now installed on a XP machine. Again I encountered no real issue setting the unit up using a plain vanilla XP system.

I issue i did notice that other could run into is that I only wish to use 2 'streams' of the MP (whereas it offers 3 or even 4 i think if you have a 7.1 sound card). According to the folks a Nuvo you set your sound card to 'Quadraphonic' at which point 2 channels show up in the MCS Media Source tab. In my case the 2 channels are 'Front LR' and 'Center / LFE'. Now for some reason my actual audio card doesn't have this Quadrophonic mode, but have a '4 Channel mode'. However in this mode the 2nd channels is 'Side LR' rather than 'Center / LFE' and it is not possible to assign 'Center / LFE' to an ouput (my onboard audio card (Realtek) allows software patching of channels to physical outputs).

To get around this i set the sound card to 6 channel, the MCS to 5.1. This gives me 3 channels, but in the GC or Essentia head unit itself i don't assign the 3rd channel to anything. This means to doesnt show up in the keypads and surprisingly it doesn't show up in the Music Port Client GUI either. It does effectively appear to use the 3rd channel (3 LEDs on on the MP little box)..so I don't think i can use the source for anything else. Maybe i'm better of just buying the extra audio cable and properly using the 3rd source.

Has anybody run into something similar? I really don't need the 3rd source and would rather keep the input on the GC / Essentia available for other purposes.

Received a new Professor Kilowatt Newsletter today, hailing the new wireless control pads.

At the end of the newsletter there is something that isn't very clear:

"How ironic that I mention software downloads. We have a new version 2.61 that includes support for the brand new Music Port Server and Color Touch Pad."

I guess that's the Nuvo Configurator Software? I hope the MP FW upgrade isn't too far off. Jonesing for internet radio...

According to the folks a Nuvo you set your sound card to 'Quadraphonic' at which point 2 channels show up in the MCS Media Source tab. In my case the 2 channels are 'Front LR' and 'Center / LFE'. Now for some reason my actual audio card doesn't have this Quadrophonic mode, but have a '4 Channel mode'. However in this mode the 2nd channels is 'Side LR' rather than 'Center / LFE' and it is not possible to assign 'Center / LFE' to an ouput (my onboard audio card (Realtek) allows software patching of channels to physical outputs).

Yes I've had the same problem w/ MP when configured for two outputs (side lr vs center / lfe). In my case I had a 5.1 card so I just configured for 3 outputs but i didn't find a workaround.

My problem with the soundcard and the channels not matching between the MCS and the actual soundcard has not gone away.... well actually it sort of did when i set MCS to 5.1 and my sound card to 6 channel. However for whatever reason when i restart my server the sound card reverts back to 2 channel. Since i rarely restart my server for now i'm not investing too much time to fix it..i just remind myself to set the soundcard to 6 channel after a restart. Annoying, yes..but oh well.

Makes me wonder if MCS is the oddball or my soundcard or if there is no standard.

It could be the soundcard driver or the server, Mav. Why would it default to 2 channel? I don't know if MCS would affect that. Have you used the soundcard manufacturer's driver? Have you tried using other channels, i.e. Rear L/R for source A, etc? Try PMing Dan(electron), to ask about the dafult audio card config - he's pretty adept at server admin (I don't mean to insult, if you are a server expert - no idea).

A workaround may involve an external sound card.

I had a tough time figuring out which audio card output went to each source input, on my GC. I don't recall the details, but I remember that the outputs were in an unexpected order - center/LFE was 3rd output, or something like that. I had to use a pair of headphones to determine.

Gents - just a quick thanks for all the info here, I also ran into the "bleeding"/"merging" of channels trying to use a Realtek Onboard Audio Card and Delta 1010LT card in combination. Unfortunately I also use my HTPC as my media player and home automation server, so I'm running into a few hiccups.

To simplify my setup, I'm trying to ONLY use my Delta 1010. Currently, my battle is an issue that when I fire up a movie, it causes the nuvo streams to pause, and eventually the streams stop working and no music can be selected at the keypads.

I have a Delta 1010LT, using the SPDIF OUT to my Bryston preprocessor (for movies) and connecting outputs 5/6 and 7/8 on the Delta 1010LT to the Nuvo music port.

I think my problem lies in the fact that the Nuvo software seems to force you to use the "Default sound card" as a Nuvo source, and I have the SPDIF OUT as my default sound card selection in Windows.

I wish I could unselect the default sound card (i.e. set it to "Select to Configure") within the MP Software, but as soon as I hit SAVE, it assigns it with a default source name of "Channel 1". I don't assign Channel 1 to any sources on the Media tab.

Anyway - I'm not looking for any troubleshooting assistance, but wanted to document my current troubleshooting attempts here in case it may help someone else out, like your discussion over the channel bleeding/merging issue.

I'm looking very, very forward to internet audio - now that the Music Port Server is being released, hopefully we'll see a MP firmware update.

Keep the discussions going! This is likely one of the most active threads I've found relating to Nuvo gear.
-Scott

Glad I invested in the dedicated PC for serving music to the GC, but I was hoping to add some additional applications to it in the future (cameras, automation software).

Welcome, gravymaker.

You can thank MavRic for taking the purchase plunge, and starting this thread. :eek:

I had the 'bleeding.merging' issue at some point as well. Not sure how i got passed that.

I have the Onboard Realtek and an addin PCIe soundcard. The add-in is a cheapa 5.1 from Staples (Diamond Max or something like that). For the moment i was using the onboard to handle the MP and the add-in is only using a single stereo channel for TTS (driven by CQC).

This weekend i will try swapping so that the add-in handles the MP channels and the onboard the TTS. Hopefully i won't run into the same issue as Gravymaker.

Altogether i must still say my setup was relatively easy the first time and almost painless the second time (after i reformatted my server).

OK everything is working now - I reconfigured the MP channels today on the onboard realtek. I told windows 7.1 and just named the extra MP channels that I didn't plan to use "UNUSED A and B" (I only need 2 music streams from the PC). I set my PCI soundcard as the default sound card in the system. I found that f I didn't do that, I would only get 2ch - not 7.1 when playing some of my multichannel movies that I've put in MKV format. Really, really strange, but it's working now!

SPDIF from my PCI soundcard for Movies works properly now, and things have passed stress testing of watching movie and playing 2 MP streams concurrently.

I agree with MavRic - all in all, the setup was relatively easy, especially for the types of folks that are likely to want the Music Port in the first place.

Other than MavRic, I did not see any specifics on what everyone is using for server hardware for the Music Port. Please post any success stories with motherboard model and/or brand/make model numbers.

I just bought a Music Port and researching a low power, embedded platform to use for the server. Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

I didn't want to be the low-power fanless guinea pig, for the Music Port. I bought an off the shelf Dell running Vista - I'll replace it after some success stories come through.

I didn't want to be the low-power fanless guinea pig, for the Music Port. I bought an off the shelf Dell running Vista - I'll replace it after some success stories come through.

I think i posted way back in the thread about my initial system with the music port. It was a jetway fanless mini itx board with a 1Ghz Processor and 1GB of ram. On a scale i'd rate it's performance as 'OK to acceptable" I had to run a very stripped down version of XP to keep it snappy, and even then with my (large to me) music library of 70Gb there was some slowdown when going through all the artists / songs / etc with 3 streams running. it seemed to be able to handle 1 fine.

Back