Wireless Temp/Humidity Sensors

IVB

FYI, I'm recording a series of video blogs as I have a dozen buddies across the globe who want to replicate my setup, or at least as close as possible given whats available in their country. They don't know each other, don't want to pick an online forum to join just yet, so I figured YouTube was the easiest way to school them.

Latest entry: The wireless temp/humidity sensors I used to measure the relative effectiveness of the insulation, windows, HVAC runs, plus humidity to trigger the zWave switch connected to the bathroom 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRhiag_2ras

Very informative video. I'm currently using wired temperature/humidity sensors via an OP2 controller to monitor a few areas in my home.  Unfortunately, it's just not possible to run wire to areas that are not monitored.  So, these wireless sensors are really appealing to me.

Is anyone using KumoApp   http://wirelesstag.net/kumoapp   to implement these sensors?  If so, can you share your experiences?  I'm considering using these sensors with KumoApp in my own home automation initiative.

I started looking into Kumo as IFTTT had long lag but then realized I could do the http call as shown. Kumo wasn't instantly understandable and I think my brain was full.

I think I'm going to order some of their movement detectors for the mailbox and other stuff. I wish there was a direct CQC driver to fetch actual temp and RH values, hopefully soon.

The units are excellent and very stable/accurate to each other,

However, they are totally cloud dependent even though there is an option to direct URL push notifications to anywhere using a dozen different methods.

The bridge and master unit contains notification methods for totally LAN dependent comms but the cloud must be checked with first, or they don't work send at all.

The Pro units remember months of 5 second data updates, so after your car arrives home with one they will download automatically to the master, like they were always there. They will report lossOfSignal but you can be 10km away before they report now.

They are very impressive units but have become much more expensive than the $12 -$16 each they started out to be.

I have four units feeding into my ISY994 HA box and use them for various HVAC temperature and humidity functions. Another function for the one in my vehicle is to notify me if I get away from home and the garage door is open.

I have ISY994 HA  access to the X,Y,Z positions, but so far, the position data sent is just nonsense, and has no rhyme or reason. I have no use for the data, as yet, so haven't tried to analyse the data sent more thoroughly.

The reporting was much faster than IFTTT  at the beginning but I believe it is becoming very laggy as the kumoapp server bogs down with popularity.

However, they are totally cloud dependent even though there is an option to direct URL push notifications to anywhere using a dozen different methods.
Cloud dependency does concern me. First of all, I use cloud services quite extensively. But I select/implement cloud services in such a manner to minimize/eliminate my HA solutions from becoming inoperable overnight. For example, I use PubNub data streaming for all for all of my voluminous, high performance data communication needs. If PubNub were to literally disappear overnight, it would be very easy for me to migrate to another IAAS service such as Pusher etc.

IMHO, cloud services is still in its infancy and there will be a lot of shakeout. A lot of companies will come and a lot of companies will go.

AFAIC, I'll have to pass on myTagsList since I'm not aware of any viable solutions (alternatives) to address an unexpected CAO shutdown. I'm not saying CAO will go “belly up”, I just need a contingency plan just in case…..

Deja Vu Revolv.

Not addressed to Bob but to repeat a point made in another thread: these aren't life or death systems. If the cloud goes down I don't have wireless temperature or humidity. I'll live. Same as the angst over lighting controls - get off your ass and flip the switch like it's 2004.

If one really wants 99.999% reliability hardwired is the only option. If you can't do it because it's too hard then you've already traded reliability for convenience, we're only debating 99% vs 99.999%. Maybe 90% if you live in the boonies.

I just found out something really cool: The temp/humidity sensors have motion sensors on them. I just moved the bathroom one from the wall to the door, now I can tell if the door is opened/closed.

It supposedly knows from opened vs closed but I haven't figured that bit out yet. For me, i'm content knowing if it was moved. I can setup  a rule that says "if no movement for 15m and the humidity isn't spiked (aka shower), turn off the lights".

Back