Cheap, Simple, Easy Temp Sensors

erasei

After having my HA system set up about a year now (w800rf32, cm11a, linux server, motion sensors, window/door sensors, various lights and appliances, and garage doors) it's time to start on Phase 2 of the master plan. Environmental awareness and landscaping control.

As with my current setup, I'll be rolling my own system out of the various parts. I'm pretty handy with electronics and a soldering iron and I do enjoy going off the beaten path. With that said, I'm wondering if I can get some advice on how to do temp and humidity sensors in a pretty efficient and cheap manner.

Ideally, I'd like to have 4 temp sensors and 3 humidity sensors. One of each just hanging out in the house for 'ambient' conditions. One of each in my cigar humidor. A temp sensor outside in the garden, and a temp sensor in the garage, I was thinking up next to the furnace to both detect when it fires up, and to get ambient temps out there (my water heater is right beside it). The other humidity sensor would go into the basement. I have some 'stretch goals' of rain and soil moisture sensors as well.. but not really necessary. I'll just use the local weather forecast via internet to determine irrigation patterns.

I own the house so wiring up a 1-wire system is do-able, but I'm not sure about the run out to the garden. It's only about 50' from my equipment cabinet to the garden, so wireless 'feels' like a better route. However, all of the wireless sensors are stupid expensive and require an additional receiver (RFXCOM, Oregon Scientific, etc).

I have several temp and humidity ICs from previous projects where I'd order a couple extra 'just in case', even ordering more is really cheap, only a few bucks tops. I have a whole bunch of PICs laying around too, but the problem is getting the data back to the server.

The w800rf32 receives RF communications from the x10 devices.. are there any existing modules that allow you to send your own data through them? I haven't seen anything like that. I guess if I wanted to really get my hands dirty I could pick up an RF transmitter IC and dive into the x10 RF specs and just have the PIC talk directly to the w800. Doesn't seem like a weeknight project though (more like several weeks of work for a newb to the protocol like me).

Anyway, I hope I haven't rambled too much. Any advice is appreciated.

The cheapest rout is the one-wire route but that involves running a bunch of wire. I use the RFXCOM dual receiver from here:
http://www.rfxcom.com/receivers.htm
and while it's not cheap it works perfectly with HomeSeer and it allows the use of the Oregon wireless temp and humidity sensors as well as dozens of other wireless devices. Even my scales are received and plotted via the HomeSeer plugin.

I figured as much, but thanks for confirming.

Based on that.. I think I have to fall back to Plan B. Make it myself.

I have the w800 which receives all of the 32-bit x10 codes. I went online and tracked down a variable 300-933mhz transceiver IC module that retails for $12. Couple that with a 32 bit PIC and the temp and humidity ICs, write up my own code on the PIC to transmit in the x10 RF protocol.. all for around $20. Still some problems to work out.. good weather proof case that can still get outside conditions.. Not sure how the FCC will feel about it.. and I would probably have to write my own plug-in to translate whatever was transmitted into something usable.. but all doable.

Quite a bit of work and I'm not sure if I'll undertake it or not.. but it is a heck of a lot more tempting than dropping $500+ on new hardware.

Oh... something else I thought about.. maybe someone with some x10 clue can help me out. The x10 cm17a firecracker is just a little serial dongle.. any ideas if it is possible to pass arbitrary data into the cm17a to be transmitted out, and thus picked up by the w800?

Something like Housecode:S Unitcode:1, DimLevel=55, for 'sensor 1, temp is 55 F'

That would allow me to not have to buy the RF transceiver, and not have to write x10 protocol code. I could have the PIC interface directly to the cm17a via serial communication, which would then transmit that out in the x10 protocol over the 310mhz RF spectrum. The firecracker is transmit only AFAIK, so I'd just have to broadcast the data every so often, I wouldn't be able to poll the sensor on demand.

Back