Would like a poll on what lighting controll method to start with.

HighTest

Hello,

I know I'd started another thread, but I realized after starting that thread that I'd like a raise of hands (or a poll if virtual hands are not really possible) for what standard I should start with.

1. I'll be using an ELK M1G system to controll the lighting solution. With a 2800 square foot home, I doubt I'll exceed the device number support of the Elk.

2. I know that I can use multiple M1XPS adapters to support multiple standards, but I'd like to select one for simplification of implementation.

3. I'm primarily looking at lighting controll with primarily RELAY on/off switches (we don't currently have dimming. If you'd like to encourage dimming and the benefits, please chime in :)

4. Needs to be very reliable. A solid performing system is important for the WAF. I was able to get the WAF for security when I finally removed our older Caddx system and installed the Elk (she really wanted the voice annunciation).

5. I would like it to be scalable, in the event that the WAF is high enough that we'd like to step it up even further (touch screens, etc, but likely these would be Elk T07 or equivalent to reduce the need for a PC hosting a software solution).

6. Family member has epilepsy, which is impacted by CFL, so CFL is not likely going to be a source of frustration. Until they can develop a florencent light that doesn't have the 60HZ flicker that contributes to aura's, I'll simply have to be less green.

7. Finally, I'd like the system to be able to be aware of manual switch changes. This way it can adjust to program unless a manual override (the switch) is performed.

Thanks!

I have zWave but I still voted UPB as zWave has no relays, just dimming, at least in the price range that zWave is reknowned for.

I don't know much about UPB other than what i've read, but what i've read is all good.

Hmm,

Just noticed my poll choice for Insteon somehow became a title. If you are voting in favor for insteon, just do a quick post and I'll tally those up in addition to all the helpful votes so far.

3. I'm primarily looking at lighting controll with primarily RELAY on/off switches (we don't currently have dimming. If you'd like to encourage dimming and the benefits, please chime in

I didn't have dimmers previous to installing automated lighting, but now I love them. I installed dimmers anywhere that I didn't need fluorescent lighting - even if I currently don't use the dimming function. Some reasons I like dimmers:
- I have certain bathroom lights turn on at a lower level because they are just too hard on the eyes at full brightness.
- I use 2 or 3 second ramp rates for many rooms. It just looks more 'pleasing' to have them ramp up a bit slower.
- I set most of my rooms to 90% brightness by default to help save some electricity and improve the life of my bulbs.
- I set a default lower light level for our dinner table. Full brightness is fine if we're hanging out, playing cards, whatever - but full brightness is harsh when eating.

I use Insteon and the ISY-26, but haven't yet installed my Elk M1. From what I understand they integrate very well.

I have zWave but I still voted UPB as zWave has no relays, just dimming, at least in the price range that zWave is reknowned for.

I don't know much about UPB other than what i've read, but what i've read is all good.
Huh? There are several relay wall switches.
http://store.homeseer.com/store/Relay-Wall-Switches-C63.aspx

ooops, my bad; they weren't available last I checked in (May?). I got sick of waiting for them given the inevitable delay, and moved on.

Still damn expensive though - Intermatic has dimmers for $35, so $80ish for a relay seems silly.

Is this for new or retrofit????

Retrofit, but fortunately the wiring was installed such that every switch has the neutral line present (Built fall 2001, but the original owner didn't go for HA).

Fortunately my mudding/tapping and painting skills are up enough that the WAF isn't affected by any holes I need to create.

Huh? There are several relay wall switches.
http://store.homeseer.com/store/Relay-Wall-Switches-C63.aspx

ooops, my bad; they weren't available last I checked in (May?). I got sick of waiting for them given the inevitable delay, and moved on.

Still damn expensive though - Intermatic has dimmers for $35, so $80ish for a relay seems silly.

In light that UPB is also not "cheap", and that the relay costs are not out of line for what a UPB switch would cost, would you recommend Z-wave then?

3. I'm primarily looking at lighting controll with primarily RELAY on/off switches (we don't currently have dimming. If you'd like to encourage dimming and the benefits, please chime in smile.gif
I agree mainly with what MikeB said above. I have a few rooms that have like 6 recessed fixtures each (450W of light) and I use R30 Daylight Halogens. That can get very bright and is way more than normally needed. My UPB is configured to turn them on at 50% which is usually enough for normal activity. I can always bump them up from there, but at 50% the bulbs do last much longer and hopefully save a few $$. Also with a 'ramp up' the bulbs last much longer as they are not turned on to 100% right away.

Another benefit of UPB is that you can install just 1 switch (say an SAI US240) and configure it either for dimming or on/off. I have under counter fluorescents, etc where the switch is configured for on/off only and it works great. The beauty is if you ever change your fixture or go from regular dimming bulbs to fixed CFL's, you don't need to change out your switch. There are also true relay switches for switching higher current or motor loads, outlets, etc.

In light that UPB is also not "cheap", and that the relay costs are not out of line for what a UPB switch would cost, would you recommend Z-wave then?

Let me answer using these specific words "I've gotten zWave Lighting to work totally acceptably for me as I was able to put in enough switchs and Dean upgraded the CQC zWave driver to make up for my wireless unfriendly house. If I was to do it again, i'd still use zWave.".

Don't get me wrong, i'm not soft-pedaling zWave, it's that I feel the HA hardware space is an entirely maddening area, where environmental differences can make or break you. In my 96 yr old house with the old wiring, power-dirty appliances, multiple extensions on the house so varying and bizarre circuit layout, wireless unfriendly, I seem to have run into every roadblock. Things that work fine for others don't work for me. At least for software, I can say definitively "yes, I know that <softwareX> does blah blah, and I guarantee it'll do it for you".

That said, if my only choice was UPB, I would not have implemented lighting control as $80/switch to control lighting doesn't have the ROI the wife would be looking for. She thought $35/switch for dimming ones was bad enough, but that was only $15 more than the $20 dimmers she was used to. She would have totally veto'ed UPB, at least at the 20+ switch level I was looking at.

Hmm,

Just noticed my poll choice for Insteon somehow became a title. If you are voting in favor for insteon, just do a quick post and I'll tally those up in addition to all the helpful votes so far.

Around here -- tomorrow being a goobernatorial election an' all -- we like to vote early and often ..

So:

-- INSTEON for plug-in lamps ( and RF remotes if desired)

-- Hardwired (most any technology) for the rest of the lighting.

I understand that this violates your one-technology ("standard") requirement, but this was the only way I could get to vote ;-)

And the one-technology rule doesn't work for most folks in practice because remote controls, whether IR or RF, are a second technology ( FWIW, X-10 RF via an intermediate controller (Elk, PC etc) is still a useful, cost-effective option IMO.)

... Marc

Hi

I would recommend CBUS as a solution for lighting (hardwired) although pretty new to the U.S. market (which means pricy) but is very reliable and has some really nice switches ...AFAIK the Ness people here in Oz have a 2 way interface for the ELK M1 ....

Have to agree with Marc ......I use CBUS for hardwired lighting and x10 for plugin modules ...

Frank

Hi

I would recommend CBUS as a solution for lighting (hardwired) although pretty new to the U.S. market (which means pricy) but is very reliable and has some really nice switches ...AFAIK the Ness people here in Oz have a 2 way interface for the ELK M1 ....

Have to agree with Marc ......I use CBUS for hardwired lighting and x10 for plugin modules ...

Frank

I would agree with Frank's comments....have a look at C-Bus by Square D

Fleetz

Hi

Frank

I would agree with Frank's comments....have a look at C-Bus by Square D

Fleetz

I'll third that. I use my M1 with a c-bus interface now. Best of all both are separately integrated to CQC as well (which means they can both be integrated to just about any system seperatly)

Mick

Back