Z-wave just keeps getting better...

It works for me. You need the latest Homeseer beta... 2.1.88.

And you need a z-wave switch that supports associations. I have an 800-watt ACT dimmer that does this. With HS 2.1.88, I can establish an association (group 1)between the switch and homeseer. When this is done, turning the swtich on or off instantly communicates it's status to hs. no need for polling, which i have turned off for the device.

also good, i can now establish other associations between the switch and other devices. (groups 2 and 3).

the 800-watt dimmer was purchased months ago after i went through 2 of the zdw120s. Could not get them to work properly. They seemed to go to sleep periodically, then went belly-up for good.

>>>also good, i can now establish other associations between the switch and other devices. (groups 2 and 3).

i meant that you can do this from homeseer...no need to use the remote to create the associations.

Just caught up to this conversation and I must say that it's a very clever way for them to get arround the patent issues.

So can the latest Homeseer software create an "instant status" environment with all Z wave products? ACT as well as the Intermatic?

jls944 said:
So can the latest HomeSeer software create an "instant status" environment with all Z wave products? ACT as well as the Intermatic?
No, just the switches that have incorporated the new firmware. Having said that the Act didn't tell anyone that these features were available either. A HS user asked Rich about it and he called and found out that the new firmware had some new "hooks".

how do i know which switches have the newest firmware? Does either the ZDW120 or the HA06C have the new firmware?

Also, the only BIG difference from the older zwave and the newer zwave is the instant status? Finally, why are the Intermatic Pro's so much more expensive? What do they do that the ACT & cheaper Intermatic ones don't?

Thank you.

We received one of each of these switches today. It appears that neither of them support "instant status reports" via Z-Wave spec.

Chris, I commend you for your integrity in not misleading people on the capabilities of that switch. I know you are a big zwave fan and make a living in that world - just good to see the honesty.

Rupp said:
I wonder how HomeSeer is doing this then?
According to Chris's testing, by using associations within group 1 and group 4.

It's called "bending the rules". Whether it is bending beyond the breaking point is up to Zensys to decide. However if I was Zensys, I would disallow it as it begins the creation of different classes of incompatible ZWave devices.

rocco:

You're spot on. Basically, software can't interpret messages that way and be an interoperable Z-Wave Certified product (according to long-standing interpretation of the spec). Any use in this way is a cool hack, but it is not interoperable.

It would also have a hard time making it into software from any major company due to potential legal issues.

Chris

Hi,

I may be a little off topic but this seemed like a good place to ask.

I read that Z-Wave devices run firmware that can be updated in the field.

Does anyone know what this might mean to the average user?

Also, has this firmware upgrade feature been implemented by manufacturers as of yet?

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,

Some Z-Wave devices are field-upgradable, and some are not. For instance, the Harmony 890 remote is field-upgradable.

I don't know that any of the light switches that are shipping have this feature, but I know that a bunch of the new ones that are gearing up production do have the feature.

Chris

Back