Z-Wave vs Insteon - Opinions?

pkshiu said:
Meanwhile I am getting a bit frustrated with the programming-by-hand.
Anybody with more than 2 or 3 modules should consider PowerHome for managing their Insteon links. Is it worth buying PowerHome just to manage links if you plan to use something else as your control system? YES. No question. It is the only practical way to manage an Insteon environment.

IMO

If Powerhome could link an Insteon Device to the ELK M1 it would be well worth it. Since PowerHome can only link devices to each other it does not solve a lot of problems.

PowerHome can manage links to a PowerLink powerline interface which is what the Elk is actually connected to. There is also an effort underway to let PowerHome interact directly with an M1's lighting database.

Hopefully very soon...... I wanted to automate a few things with My ELK before I go on vacation.

I have several switches that I cant link at all. Not sure if they are defective or not. Impossible to tell at this point. The ones that I could link are now working well but a software program to do the linking would make life much better.

I am sure its not an easy task and there are so many other things on peoples plates ...... I am just impatient. :)

Digger said:
Hopefully very soon...... I wanted to automate a few things with My ELK before I go on vacation.

I have several switches that I cant link at all. Not sure if they are defective or not. Impossible to tell at this point. The ones that I could link are now working well but a software program to do the linking would make life much better.

I am sure its not an easy task and there are so many other things on peoples plates ...... I am just impatient. :)
One thing I found. If a device does not want to link properly, use the PowerHome "rebuild" option which will clear out the junk links in the devices table and rewrite the ones that are supposed to be there.

I don't know Ken. I took my switch down to the local HomeDepot and looked at all the other Leviton switch plates. It does not match the almond color ones (too light). Anyway I just installed the rest of my wall switches (I have three of them now) and they look okay. It's not that noticable.

The almond plate covers that I received are still just a shade different in color than the Intermatic HA06C paddle color that I thought was white.

Anyone know if Intermatic has its own source for switch plate covers?

For my tests, this is a relatively minor thing. I would definately shy away from installing these in someone else's house until I could find a good color match between the paddle and (not supplied) plate cover.

When I come across an answer, I will be sure to post it on this forum.

The good news is that the 'almond' covers match my 'off white' paint pretty well, better than 'white' or 'ivory' covers.

Ken

KenM: the color on the HA06 switches is a pretty nice color. As I understand it, Intermatic will be moving to a white "white" color in the future.

Chris

Thanks for the info Chris.

I like the switches. I am hoping that paddle color change kits may become available sometime in the future. The paddles look like they are easily replacable.

Ken

upstatemike said:
PowerHome can manage links to a PowerLink powerline interface which is what the Elk is actually connected to. There is also an effort underway to let PowerHome interact directly with an M1's lighting database.
How does this work? Do you actually link your switches and modules to the PLC so that the PLC can receive the status update?

Is this how Powerhome, SmartHome HouseLinc Desktop, and Elk all receive notifications of state changes on remote devices?

Is this how Powerhome, SmartHome HouseLinc Desktop, and Elk all receive notifications of state changes on remote devices?
Yes, this is how PowerHome, and I assume others, do it.

Back