Z-Wave vs Insteon - Opinions?

Digger said:
The problem with this is that they have raised their prices on some items.
I bet they give you credit for whatever they charged you, not the original price, so any price change is irrelevant.

I'm new on here ... so be gentle ...

I'm in the process of moving into my new house and I am planning out some minor automation. I need to replace all electrical outlets and switches anyway, so I decided to start with lighting control.

From the research I've done, Z-Wave seems to fit my needs perfectly. However, I have one open issue to resolve ... the cell phone reception in the house is absolutely terrible and I was planning on installing one of these ... http://www.digitalantenna.com/cellamprep_DA4000SBR.html

As you can see, the frequency bands overlap with Z-Wave ... and I'm wondering if I'm going to end up having interference issues ...

Exactly how does the pairing of the Z-Wave devices work? ... if my in-home Z-Wave control signals get broadcast over a 50-mile radius of my house ... am I going to be controlling the lights in some poor guy's house on the other side of town ... or worse for me, is he going to be controlling mine?

Of course, even if the Z-Wave doesn't have a direct interference with the cell phone signals ... is the antenna amplifier going to creat too much noise interference?

Anyone have any experience with this issue? Any thoughts?

richardfj said:
From the research I've done, Z-Wave seems to fit my needs perfectly. However, I have one open issue to resolve ... the cell phone reception in the house is absolutely terrible and I was planning on installing one of these ... http://www.digitalantenna.com/cellamprep_DA4000SBR.html

As you can see, the frequency bands overlap with Z-Wave ... and I'm wondering if I'm going to end up having interference issues ...
It looks like that device doesn't amplify 908MHz signals, so you're probably okay. Even if it amplifies your Z-Wave signal, each message carried a code which is globally unique, and which identifies your home network. You don't have to worry about controlling another network since those messages would be disregarded by any other Z-Wave network's devices.

Chris

Digger said:
The problem with this is that they have raised their prices on some items.
I'm curious, which devices that SH raised prices on have you so concerned?

Here is pricing information from last fall as compared to today. All prices are from the SH web site.

Prices raised

2476S $39.99 -> $45.99 Switchlinc V2 Relay
2814UB $49.99 -> $59.99 Powerlinc USB Controller
2876DB $19.99 -> $24.99 ICON Dimmer
2876SB $19.99 -> $24.99 ICON On/OFF switch

Prices Lowered

2476ST $59.99 -> $49.99 Switchlinc Timer V2
2456D2 $29.99 -> $26.99 LampLinc 2-pin
2492 $169.99 -> $129.99 Switchlinc V2 Starter Kit
2490 $129.99 -> $99.99 Wireless Lighting Starter Kit

There is another set of new products that have higher price points than similarly named products such as the 1000W dimmer and the Togglelincs and this makes sense to me. The volumes for these parts will be lower than the parts introducedearlier and should be expected to have a higher price.

Another thing to consider is that SH does most of their manufacturing in China and the dollar has recently taken a hammering as compared to the RMB. All in all I'm pretty impressed that SH has been able to maintain their prices as well as their product introduction schedules.

George

The 2814U Icon Version PowerLinc V2 USB is not on the Smarthome site as far as I can find. Only the 2414U PowerLinc V2 USB that remains the same price of $59.99
Yup many items are higher. Mostly the 2800 Icon Series from what I can see.

Since I am using mostly ICONS and the raised the prices 25% it hurts my overall budget for the project. Now if they raised the price and said that they can handle a larger load fine.

Almost half of the ICONS I installed wont link to anything (each other or my ELK). Even two in the same electrical box (and same circuit) wont link. They work fine as a regular on/off switch.

I am still waiting for a switch I returned late March or early April to be replaced. I keep forgetting to call them about that. So if I pull these out and return them I have to replace them with regular switches and then change them back later or buy new ones at $25 instead of the $18 I paid for them on sale. All because they seem to be defective.

As far as raising the price based on low production I dont agree with that. I think production has probably increased since its been on the market for a while now. Granted the costs for plastics is rising and also the cost of shipping is rising.

Digger said:
So if I pull these out and return them I have to replace them with regular switches and then change them back later or buy new ones at $25 instead of the $18 I paid for them on sale. All because they seem to be defective.
Please explain that logic. Don't return them, exchange them! Then you don't lose money. And if you are in a hurry, ask SH to ship first.

Digger said:
As far as raising the price based on low production I dont agree with that.
Who said that? George said that some of the lower volume (ie lower production) devices have higher prices due to their lower volume, but that is not the same as changing a price.

What I was saying was that as production goes up price per piece goes down. I would think that the quantity produced of the ICONS has gone up in the past 3 months making the price per piece go down. If they had put a heavier duty relay in there and rated it higher than 400 W (or is it 300W since that seems to flip flop) tungsten load I would not mind paying the extra $5.00. I think a 600 W rating would be better.

As far as having SH ship first they sell you another switch. I was offered that on the last switch I returned and was told they would credit me for the original switch purchased and now returned (which I paid $18 for). I opted to let them just replace it. Besides I would also have to pay for the shipping also (on the new switch which would be a few more bucks I guess). When I returned it they were nice enough to pick up the FEDEX charge going back and the shipping of the replacement so it was no cost to me. Luckily I didnt have an urgent need for the switch.

For me to buy about 4 more to replace the ones that dont link will cost me $20 more (plus shipping). While that is not a huge amount of money its the principle. They sold a product and it doesnt work. I should be able to exchange it at no cost (or maybe the cost of shipping to them would be usual and customary and that would be about $5.00 USPS). Next time I think I will buy from Martin since I hear he is very easy to work with.

I have to remember to call SH tomorrow and ask them what the problem is.

I am not saying I hate SH or anything its just frustrating dealing with them.

Yes I did see that. Sorry I forgot to mention it. Question did the CD in the photo ever show up? All I got from Smarthome was the description and part number changing three or four times. And the CD quietly vaporized to a free download.

Question did the CD in the photo ever show up?
Fair question. No, the software is by download only from the Smarthome website. If we had more of these I'd start burning CDs here for it but it doesn't look like they will be available after current stock runs out.

They promised me one; when avilable. Good thing I didn't wait. :)
After changing the part number three times and the description. I am not surprised at all.
Thanks for the feedback Martin.

One bad thing -- the switch is not really white in color. It is slightly off, so my white face plate does not match up with it completely.

This fooled me too. They actually have three colors white, almond, and ivory. I think the we have the almond color. I ordered a few almond switch plates to verify that.

Regards,

Ken

KenM said:
This fooled me too. They actually have three colors white, almond, and ivory. I think the we have the almond color. I ordered a few almond switch plates to verify that.
I don't know Ken. I took my switch down to the local HomeDepot and looked at all the other Leviton switch plates. It does not match the almond color ones (too light). Anyway I just installed the rest of my wall switches (I have three of them now) and they look okay. It's not that noticable.

Meanwhile I am getting a bit frustrated with the programming-by-hand. Now that I have a lot of modules I started to change my scene settings around, but it is a pain to reassign them, because you have to delete modules from channels that I no longer want. I do have the USB interface and the SDK and am playing with that. Not 100% stable yet (well, it IS beta). But it lacks the remote controller programming functionality at this moment, so that is not helping...

Hmm I hadn't noticed the price increase but havent been watching lately. Interesting on the relay increase, since it actually provides less functionality than the corresponding dimmer. Now if it increased the wattage.... (I actually had to avoid using Insteon in the basement as there was too many flourescent lights on the switch).

I had my share of early issues, but was actually pleased with my setup once I changed the timers in the elk automation to turn switches on/off one at a time (it does result in one minute delays, but that was not overly annoying for the short term based on how I am using it). I have not noticed a single failure since (other than the 'hitting the switch wrong' issue locally).

Of course if I was using this programming more interactively, this would be a larger issue.

The way I looked at it when purchasing my initial batch of Insteon switches was that I was buying into a new technology as an early adopter, so was willing to deal with some issues considering how new the product was. Smarthome has been good at returning/exchanging the units as well which made this easier. You could relate this to buying a 1.0 version of software... there will/may be issues but hopefully the company will fix any issues in a timely fashion at which time it will be more solid. I am going out on a limb but I'd bet most people on this board will fall into the 'early adopter' type in one area or another...

I actually just had a relay v2 die but I am sure there will be no issue in swapping it out when I call SH. This was one of the first switches I put in, which might be related, as I believe for the most part, any issues I have had were related to the initial batches.

I agree that the software options could be better, but I used these in a relatively simple fashion with the elk until I get caught up with my projects.

Overall I am satisfied with my choice of Insteon, but I am also not 'stressing my installation' at the current time. In fact I still have a bunch of switches to replace with Insteon. I'm patient... (helps that I'm real busy as well).

Back