Zwave interference with Baby Monitor

tyroiii

Hi,

I have a simple Z-Wave setup that has been working fine for about 2 years. Recently, I installed a baby monitor and my Z-Wave network is very iffy. Sometimes it works and sometimes it fails. I unplug the baby monitor and everything works again.

Is there anything I can do to use the baby monitor? Would changing the channel on the baby monitor help? Or do I need to get something that communicates outside of the 900mhz range?

Thanks,
Charley

Try changing channels, but I would probably consider getting something that runs on 2.4/5.6Ghz, just to be on the safe side.

FWIW, my network is unaffected by my 900MHz monitor being plugged in or not. Then again, it's always just a little iffy, i have tons of wireless pollution, so i may have something else that's killing it more than the monitor.

I have no 900Mhz devices in my home and my Z-Wave is rock solid and has been for ages.

rupp: Go away. I hate folks like you ;)

Even my damn wireless cxn has been getting flaky lately, higher density living means not only will your stuff potentially interfere, your neighbors crap will interfere. i have a standalone house, but the houses on either side are 12' away, and there's an apartment building behind me. There's so much more than 900MHz that could interfere, though, and i think i have all of them.

Hardwired lighting during a remodel is the way out of hell for me.

Ah! Yea in this situation you have to worry about your RF interference and others as well. UPB may be your best option if you have commons in the switch boxes. I still have several X10 devices that work day in and day out as well with no problems so don't overlook that old stand by as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I live in NYC in an apartment and have been lucky that none of my neighbors stuff interfered with Zwave. I guess I need to buy a new monitor or get a wireless surveillance system that doesn't use 900mhz band.

I've tried UPB before, but had lots of problems with it when I switched some lightbulb to compact florescent.

Back