Sensor List

Well the idea is to handle those differences in PLC code. There should be opportunities in WC32 for interrupt handlers for I/O, serial, dedicate a hardware timer to PLC, etc... For WC8, it may not be worthwhile unless there is an available timer and/or some of the individual INT pins.

az1324 said:
Well the idea is to handle those differences in PLC code. There should be opportunities in WC32 for interrupt handlers for I/O, serial, dedicate a hardware timer to PLC, etc... For WC8, it may not be worthwhile unless there is an available timer and/or some of the individual INT pins.

My idea was sharing work. CAI provides a configurable sensor interface and we mate specific sensors...

The needs out there are for voltage sensors and current sensors mostly.  !-wire bus provided the fault tolerance for measurement and communication. For any other thing to sense, mostly can be converted into voltage or current.  However, because 1-wire slave device is patented and not licensed to any third party, that makes new sensor using 1-wire bus difficult. 

Some of those chips, like DS2450, are discontinued by Dallas, because its low demand.  When they say low demand, that means less than 2 million chip a year.  However, the needs for DS2450 is actually exist.  The reason for DS2450 is low, simply because its output is not very stable, easy to read bad result if PCB layout is not perfect.  If someone makes a good design, I am sure there will be a lot need for it.

Remember I already linked the PIC project that emulates the DS2450? I don't think they care about projects that implement 1-wire in software. Hardware implementations they may challenge.

I think if anyone making commercial 1-wire device and successful, Dallas will care.  They will not stop someone doing it in small scale.
Yes, those keypad through resistor dividing the voltage can be used in PLC for human input method.

Ross had already published a SPI logic implemented in PLC code. That has posted in this forum.
If you dig through it, you will find how Ross actually implemented.

Ok I'm trying to put my material list togather to build my system.  My original intent was to only control wood hydronic heater (aka wood boiler) and domestic water production.  After countless hours of reading post on this form, I've come to the conclusion that WC can automate countless other items in my home and on myfarm.  My first question is, are there any smoke and cabon monoxide sensors that will work with WC?
My second question is, has anyone put together a wireless setup with the 1-wire temp sensor for remote sensoning? My idea is monitoring my farrowing house, barn, and chicken coop they are about 400-500 ft from the house. My third question is, along the same line as the second, is there any wireless relay controls that can be controled by WC for my feeders and waterers.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

Chris

1) I thought about adding a CO detector to my wood heat controller but decided not to. Detector needs to be calibrated and has relatively short life time compared to rest of the system.  If you want fire and smoke integration I'd recommend getting an off the shelf unit that supports  interconnection and do some experiments to determine how the interconnect signaling works. Once you figure that out build a circuit to optically isolate the smoke alarm from WC.

2) Probably the easiest way to do this is to simply use another WC with a WiFi bridge. There are cheap bridges available for $25. I was going to use a Vonets VAR11N bridge ($25) rather than string Cat5e cable for a window ventilator I'm working on. Worked fine as a bridge but decided not to use it because there is no way to disable repeater mode (I did not want a second active AP in that location). In your case having a remote AP would actually be useful (or at least not be a problem) in your outbuildings.

3) If you use a Wi-Fi bridge let the Webcontrol do the remote control. WC's are cheap and flexible, use them like "jelly beans" to design a distributed system rather than one large complex centralized design.

4) If you want more sensor ideas,  one of my next projects will be to add a water leak detector (GRI 2800) to an existing system. It has a simple contact closure making it easy to integrate.

Good luck with your project.

/tom

Vonets VAR11N does not work with WC8, since it does not support WC8's 10BaseT half duplex network mode. TP-Link small Wifi module cost about same can be easily configured as Wifi Bridge, that works great with WC8.

All the gas sensors require to periodically heat the sensor element to remove gas residue.  That can be done by a relay board and added PLC logic.  Like tom said, those gas sensor's lifespan is not very clear to us.  But they are surely cheap to get and replace them is not hard.

CAI_Support said:
Vonets VAR11N does not work with WC8, since it does not support WC8's 10BaseT half duplex network mode.
Thanks for the clarification. Glad I didn't try to use it. I assumed WC was 10/100, 10 Mbps HDX is pretty ancient, never really paid much attention to the WC Ethernet interface since it works fine.  BTW I never actually hooked my VAR11N up to WebControl, just played with it on my laptop. When I found out I could not disable repeater mode decided to stick with wired. I thought by spec Fast Ethernet devices need to support fallback to 10.

/tom

TP-Link model TL-WR702N wireless N wifi repeater/bridge/ap/router can be set as pure wifi bridge mode in browser, Then once you configured WebControl with network cable, simply plug into this little wifi box, WebControl will run on your network over wifi.  It will show on the network the IP address you configured for the WebControl and MAC address.  Right now, it is selling for $20 on Amazon.

WC32 is 10/100 full duplex.  WC8 is only 10BasedT half duplex.

Back