1-wire hub, how to connect to controller?

Armagedon

Hello,

https://www.hobby-boards.com/store/products.php?product=4-Channel-Hub

Has anyone experience with this 1-wire hub? As I understood, it has 4 channels which need to be controlled by 1-wire master. By default the channels are turned off. This means, if a kind of PC based 1-wire software is used, then the software must support the hub between the PC 1-wire adapter and 1-wire subnets. If some 1-wire supporting controller is used as 1-wire master, then the controller firmware must support the hub (which I really doubt). Is it realistic to make controller firmware compatible with the hub? Has anyone done this kind of things?

Thank you, A.

I utilized 1-wire devices here extensively with multiple networks utilizing Temp-0X and 9097's.  That noted I also utilize xAP for communications of these devices on my network with standalone xAP applications running for the different networks.

Have a look here at the stand alone applications that utilize xAP. 

http://board.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=865

These run in wintel.

I have been looking at testing some linux 1-wire applications that are similiar except I cannot find any yet that do what I want with my devices.

I have tested the following for my currently set up sprinkler system running on a seagate dockstar to work just fine:

$ apt-get install digitemp    # 1-wire sensor readout
$ cd /usr/bin
root@debian:/usr/bin# ln -s digitemp_DS9097 digitemp # select interface type
$ apt-get install minicom     # for serial link
$ apt-get install gnuplot     # plot program
$ apt-get install python      # 2.6.5-13
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/python-serial
$ apt-get install python-serial # interface for serial link (RS232)
$ apt-get install usbutils    # lsusb
$ apt-get install ttf-bitstream-vera # simple sans font for gnuplot

Tests:
$ digitemp -s /dev/ttyUSB0 -i # initialize resource file .digitemprc
$ digitemp -a                 # show temperature from sensor DS18S20

I do today have one temp or combo temp-humidity sensor in just about every room in the house.  I utilize the dual counters today for a legacy rain bucket, lightning sensor, digital rain sensor(s) and water meters.    I have a few devices outside.  I do utilize a light sensor and kind of have it configured as a UV sensor.  I do though do a star topology utilizing cat5e one device to one place.  Today the recommended topology is a combo star and hub thing.  What I have set up works for me though. I have though documented each of the addresses / locations / types of devices and cables to each device.

I have two of them.  I use owfs on UNIX to read values off my one-wire stuff.  I've noticed with the hubs however, that once you turn them on, as long as they have power going to them, either via the supplied wall wart, or the one-wire bus, they retain the "on" status of the ports.  So if you want, you can flip them on via owfs, and then read them with something else.

Is there any chance to reprogram the hobby-board's hub and make it all channels turned on by default? I would like to use it with Barix Barionet 100 controller, but I doubt that there is chance to modify Barionet firmware for supporting the 1-wire hub. Currently the Barionet can detect the hub (hub ID is visible under 1-wire temperature sensors list), but as channels are off, nothing connected to channels is detected. Can all the hub channels be turned on simultaneousley or only one channel can be turned on at the time? Sorry, I have no experience with PC(software)-based 1-wire control also with this hub. I prefere small Barionet 100 controller with 3W energy comsumption instead of a PC running 24h.

It's just one command to turn on the ports.  You send it a bitmask of what ports you want flipped on.  IIRC, if you send it "FF", everything is on and you are good.  No idea if it's re-programmable.  You might ask on the hobby-boards forum on this site.

Back