Any practical use for multiple instances of Homeseer?

Here had a combo security / automation (just X10) panel with TTS in the 1980's. 

It was primitive and difficult to program at the time.  I did configure speech based on zones connected (garage, doors et al).

So, is there any reason one couldn’t have two zees running Homeseer simultaneously, with different plugins on each? With the 5 plugin limit, I might exceed that on a single machine. But with two pis (zees), that goes to 10, correct? What would be the problems one might encounter?

So, is there any reason one couldn’t have two zees running Homeseer simultaneously, with different plugins on each?

no

Here use Zee 2 HS3  to test plugins and HS3 Pro for stuff that I do not touch.

But with two pis (zees), that goes to 10, correct?

Yes. 

And today HS3 Touch is incorporated in to the HS3 software such that it doesn't count as a plugin.

What would be the problems one might encounter?

Talking to the same ZWave controller (well like a ZNet) would cause issues.

My wife and I had no problem at all understanding the AT&T voices with my HomeSeer 1.7 in my older home (absolutely none).  With the Zee we don't understand most of what is being said, even when we are ready for the announcement.

I would kill to be able to get my eight Amazon echo devices to announce HomeSeer events, but I really don't have the time or patience to get a PhD in HomeSeer/Linux/MQQT/EIEIO/whatever to do it.

This is the biggest problem I see with HomeSeer lately.  Maybe its me getting older, or not having enough time to spend two and a half full days trying to get something to work like this, but if you want to step out of their little 'events' box, its possible, but be ready to spend an awful amount of time reading their forums, and spending way to much time trying to understand a multitude of code or other connections that make it possible!  I found this true with their location plugins (using phone) as well as HSTouch and other items...

BraveSirRobbin said:
I would kill to be able to get my eight Amazon echo devices to announce HomeSeer events, but I really don't have the time or patience to get a PhD in HomeSeer/Linux/MQQT/EIEIO/whatever to do it.

Amazon doesn't have a TTS api so getting this to happen with Amazon is going to require a fairly involved hack. HOWEVER, you can do this pretty easily with Google Home.  Just use Spud's Chromecast plug-in.

Once you have set it up then adding Alexa TTS is not an issue.

There are folks on the Homeseer site already doing this with just running Python scripts.

Here short cutted this using HA to run the TTS speech and well events now.

It is really simple to do.

I am still in a learning mode and only testing with one DOT connected to the Russound system and mixing this with HS3 SAPI speech and another Alexa in the Kitchen.  With said events you can talk to one specific alexa device or all of them at once.  Now you can even tell which Alexa was used last in your home.

Baby steps here.  Wife is used to the TTS from Homeseer of old BUT I am limiting the TTS to simple stuff...garage door, front door bell and sensors, et al.  Over the years HS is not as chatty kathy as it was in the past and I am still using hard sensors connected to the OmniPro panel and now testing WiFi sensors using MQTT.

BTW here also use touchscreens to send commands out to the Alexa devices (as well as using VR).

The house here is a sandbox and it keeps me busy in my old age these days....

HHA Automation.jpg

HHA Scripts.jpg

I am redoing my old legacy 1-Wire temperatures sensors (analog) to using MQTT these days.  I have 1-wire sensors on the second floor covering the hallway, bedrooms and bathrooms and attic.  I also have a hub in the basement covering main floor, outside, bathroom and rest of rooms on the main floor these days.  Really a bit over kill as one sensor on each floor will do.

ttemperature sensors.jpg

Here is the Homeseer 3 hourly chime that utilizes Microsoft SAPI running on an Oracle VB on the main HS3 Pro server.  Doing now 5 different TTS fonts and speaker dot exe's here and hardly working.

You can do this moving your Zee2 lite OS to an Intel CPU running Ubuntu and Oracle virtual box as Oracle VB will not run on an ARM CPU at this time.  IE: you can get a mini intel CPU with 4/8 Gb of RAM to do this except that it will be more costly than the RPi.

HHSHourly chime.jpg

I have tried running QEMU on the RPi for Windows XP and it works but it is way to slow with the limited RAM on the RPI.  It might work on a TVBox with 4Gb of RAM.  With this you could run XPe and SAPI speech on the TV box.

With the TV Box prices at less than $100 you get much more for your money than an RPi and it is way smaller.

I priced the RockerPi4 with 4Gb of RAM, 32 Gb of eMMC, case and power supply at around $110 or the price of two TV Boxes.

Note here have 4 Windows servers, 4-6 Linux servers, 3 BSD servers running on Intel / AMD CPUs on the computer server rack.

Many Homeseer users are using one box with multiple CPUs and much memory to run multiple VMs (windows and Linux) these days.

Here my 15 HSTouch tabletop screens are running XPe and MS SAPI and they are totally controlled by HS (hardware and software these days).  These also run Leviton OmniPro touch professional which is a bit limited but can be adjusted with the HAI touchscreen designer (a PITA to use).

I have modded these hardware wise and they run Windows (HSTouch), Linux (Squeezeplayers) and Android (but I do not use android for HSTouch). 

Downside of multiple controllers is that devices installed on one are not available to control or be triggers on the other. Reality is that there are plenty of areas or subsystems in any home that never need to interact with each other. Once you accept that then multiple controllers make more sense. There are also ways to share devices on a physical level even when the systems are not linked logically... my Stargate and Elk work this way.

I could see having a Zee manage outdoor lighting and monitor window and leak sensors with no real need to interact with a second Zee running interior lighting, thermostats, and A/V stuff. Or maybe the second Homeseer instance is Windows based for the TTS and Way2Call and other Windows only features.

I agree that simple event driven (without scripting) TTS announcements through Alexa is the Holy Grail for Linux based controllers. I don't know why Amazon is reluctant to add this feature to their API.

Downside of multiple controllers is that devices installed on one are not available to control or be triggers on the other.

Using MQTT you can have one controller / software interface talk between computers whether they are running Windows or Linux.

I don't know why Amazon is reluctant to add this feature to their API.

It must be there already otherwise I would not be able to do it using Python scripts.

Thinking that it could change as it is more of a reverse hack using current API. That said I mix the Homeseer TTS with the Alexa TTS these days.

IE: the DOT and HS SAPI is sharing one audio input on the Russound zoned audio system. Also utilize one (optional more) Squeezplayer and KODI touch tablet as a remote controlled audio source for Russound. I do have the option of using up to 12 audio sources on the Russound and use HSTouch, Russound Keypads and Omnitouch screens to control the Russound stuff.

Here too I am not tethered to tablets or phones (they are off when I am in the house unless I want to utilze them).  The tabletops and in wall touchscreens are not on the internet and only used for local control.  I have tested and used one tabletop tablet running VPN and it works well this way.  One HS Plugin author is running a tabletop tablet in his office at work connected to HS3 at home today.

Basics / heartbeat of the home is via the OmniPro 2 panel X10, UPB, Zigbee and ZWave.  Everything else adds to the basics.

The new TV box will fit inside of the OmniPro 2 panel (even easier if using Elk) and is just another multiple function interface to the OP2).

Older now and I not not in to watching TV or streaming videos on my Telephones or tablets and prefer a regular TV for this stuff. 

When my wife and I go out for breakfast, lunch or dinner and watch families dining...most of the kids are buried in the telephones or tablets and do not even speak to each other. 

See young couples these days the same way with their noses buried in twitter, facebook or just texting and never really speak with their husband or wives. 

Sad state of affairs. 

Here my children are around 30 these days and I still make them put their smart phones in a kitchen drawer when we have a family get together.

Walking downtown Chicago in the middle of the day you just see people walking with their heads buried on their smartphones. 

Even while riding elevators in tall buildings...

macromark said:

Amazon doesn't have a TTS api so getting this to happen with Amazon is going to require a fairly involved hack. HOWEVER, you can do this pretty easily with Google Home.  Just use Spud's Chromecast plug-in.
Not to get off topic here, but you are proposing I replace my eight echo devices with Google Home?

BraveSirRobbin said:
Not to get off topic here, but you are proposing I replace my eight echo devices with Google Home?

Google is in the process of combing their Nest and Google Home products into the same division and locking down their APIs to 3rd parties. I don't think you want to do anything with Google until after August 31st goes by and we see what still works.

BraveSirRobbin said:

Morgan - No, that's not what I was doing. You were complaining about the complexity of getting TTS out of your echos. I don't have a way to fix that, so thought I would offer an alternative. Should I have just kept that information to myself?

upstatemike said:
Google is in the process of combing their Nest and Google Home products into the same division and locking down their APIs to 3rd parties. I don't think you want to do anything with Google until after August 31st goes by and we see what still works.

Once they implement this, the existing Nest plug-in for HomeSeer will stop working. We've stopped selling the plug-in as soon as we got the news earlier this week. This will affect other hubs too... in fact all of them! Hopefully, Google will provide an alternative for 3rd party solutions. If not, I expect Ecobee sales to get a boost!

I have tried about five brands now and ecobee runs circles around any if them.

Being sensitive to heat changes I grew tired of stat sensors wondering around by 3-4 degrees for no reason at all.

Smart stats have an inherent problem with electronics heat. Then the designers try to compensate for sensing errors by fudging the sensor accuracy. This all works fine until somebody walks by the stat and blowing away the internal heat. Suddenly you wonder why your house is cold.
Ecobee has gone to great pains to avoid this.

The advanced fan cycling is well done and thought out.

Sent using Tapatalk

Back