Aprilare 8870

Can anyone help me figure out how Aprilare 8870 thermostat conncets to HomeSeer running on custom computer.?
Also what are different wires that I need to run for the thermostat?

Thanks

You need the Aprilaire 8811 RS485->RS232 adapter. Run CAT5 from the 8870->8811, and the 8811 plugs into the serial port of your PC.

You need the Aprilaire 8811 RS485->RS232 adapter. Run CAT5 from the 8870->8811, and the 8811 plugs into the serial port of your PC.
Thank you verymuch. So If I understand right, here are the wiring needs for 8870
1. Number of wires from the HVAC system (may be 5 wires)
2. One CAT 5 from the basement (where the 8811 is located)

Questions
1. Do I need any power connection (110v) or low voltage(24v)
2. In 8811 it says it can connect upto 32 communicating thermostat, Will there be a 32 different wires from each thermostat goes to 8811?

Thanks
Jijo

The thermo gets its power from the HVAC system. I believe you daisy chain thermos, but I used a distro panel so I homerunned the CAT5. I can't actually get it to work, but that's the theory.

The thermo gets its power from the HVAC system. I believe you daisy chain thermos, but I used a distro panel so I homerunned the CAT5. I can't actually get it to work, but that's the theory.

Just for my understanding...in it's most basic form i would simply replace the existing thermostat with the 8870 and the system should continue to work as normal (no additional boxes etc required). Then i run cat5 from the wiring closet to the thermostat and connect the cat5 to 8870 on 1 end and 8811 on the other end...then i connect the serial to the Elk via the ELK-M1XSP and presto?

Can i conclude that i can ask the builder to provide all this 'normal' wiring for the thermostats but ADD 1 cat5 run from the wiring closet to the themostat location and ask him to use 8870 instead of whatever he was planning (or worst case i will replace after). This way any other future owner can still use the system even if i remove all the HA gear. Future owner woudl either put 'dumb' thermostats back on or have thermostats that a highly overpriced for what they do.

Are these themostats really $230 a piece? So for 2 zone control i need 2*8870 and 1*8811 right?

I tink i will simply have the builder put the cat5 in and put this $600 upgrade in later depending on the WAF and funding levels.. ;)

If i want to show temps on CQC but don't want to reley on a PC based solution for temperature control do i connect the 8870's via the Elk and then control them via the elk? Would this still allow me to display current temp etc on CQC?

Back