Be AWARE of this member - MODSTER!!!

First thing first – ELECTRON, if you think that this post should not be here feel free to delete it or move it to “For Sale†section. I just want to warn other users of this wonderful community from fairly new user/member that call himself “MODSTERâ€
To be sure I’m not accusing anybody else, the person I’m talking about is:
Len Cochrane
#1-32 Huntley Close N.E.
Calgary, AB.
T2K4Z3

Dear all,
Most of you know me for long time from this (and others) message boards. Many of you know me personally. I love this community of home automation for the great people. Well, I learned the hard way that no all of the members here are nice and honest.
Here is my story (I’ll try to make it short)

Modster posted in “For Sale†section that he is looking for 3Com Audreys. I contacted him if he is still interested and he was.

June 21st we made a deal that I’ll sell him my Audrey for $85 (shipping included).
He promised to send money to my PayPal account within 7 to 10 days, Please note that it would be July 1st the latest.

The I had to fly out of state for business and returned during first week of July. Money were NOT in my account so I asked Modster what happened.
He promptly replied during July 11th that he would transfer the money within 5 days. (That would be July 16th!)

That should warn me but I was stupid enough to ship Audrey out to him on July 13th (the shipping charge was $18.79). I sent him notification of shipment and tracking number and that was it my friends. No more communication with Modster.

The Audrey was delivered by UPS on July 20th!

Finally after many PM’s and emails he responded on August 1st. He stated that he had to pay additional 24.70$ in extra charges by UPS due to the labeling of the package and the way it was shipped. And that he will send me only $60 and not the $85 as we agreed. And AGAIN he asked for a WEEK to pay those $60. Now please note that I shipped Audrey from my company shipping department that deals with international shipping EVERY single day so there was NO way there would be a problem with labeling or the way it was shipped. However, I replied to Mr. Modster that if he mails me a copy of the receipt, I’ll pay for half of the additional cost.

Again, many emails and PM’s without response from his side. Finally I sent him an email and mentioned my attorney just to catch his attention. Man, you should see the fast reply.
(I put asterisks instead his nasty words…)

Quote email:
“i will send the f****** thing back to you c.o.d for the extra charges i paid and for shipping back to you.
do not ever email me opr contact me again.
and feel free to go f*** your self and your attorney.â€

Quote Private message:
“do not ever bother me again you impatient f****** idiot....â€

Impatient?? I’m waiting for my money OVER a month and I’m “impatient f****** idiot�????

Even after that I politely replied that we might still get some mutual agreement. I called UPS and tried to find out what happened and if he was really charged some additional money. The UPS response was that there were additional charges as BORDER FEES AND TAXESâ€! So not a problem with labeling or shipping. Regular border fees that he should be aware of. Still, stupid me I tried to reach some sort of agreement.

And here is what I got as his last response:

learn to read you retard
your piece of sh** audrey is on its way back to you for 45$ c.o.d. it should arrive within 3 weeks. feel free to refuse it and when it returns here i will keep it.
feel free to pull your head out of your as* anytime and replace it with the audrey when it arrives."

So at the end this whole “deal†is going to cost me $63.70.
I’m just hoping that my Audrey will be still in working condition and with ALL the additions (Network adapter, CF cards, manuals and my notes for MCS Audrey,…) I sent with it.

Sometime life sucks!
So PLEASE be aware of this user. He apparently does not belong to our nice and honest community!
Besides – he really needs to wash his mouth! (See following post as example)
http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=112123

Of course I do have all the communication if somebody doesn’t believe me and I can posted here…

Now that truly sucks, sorry to hear you had to go through that. Thanks for the heads up, it looks like he is a member here as well, but has never posted. I hope this unfortunate experience shows other people to never ship your goodies until you have received (and confirmed) your money.

That is why I never send the item before payment is made...

Let the seller beware.... sorry to hear that

John

Yup, that's a black eye to our user community.

And also a good thing to note for Canadians ordering from the USA: avoid shipping by UPS!! They charge a very high customs processing fee. US postal service is the least expensive, followed by FedEx. UPS is the worst.

My biggest concern at this point would be that he could be shipping you back a box of bricks, for which you get the pleasure of paying COD charges!

fitzpatri8 said:
My biggest concern at this point would be that he could be shipping you back a box of bricks, for which you get the pleasure of paying COD charges!
I wonder which law enforcement agency could be pulled in then.

Sic the CIA or the RMP on this guy if he does this!

If you deny this package, would he have to pay Customs fees again? If so, let him have it <_<

Guy Lavoie said:
Yup, that's a black eye to our user community.

And also a good thing to note for Canadians ordering from the USA: avoid shipping by UPS!! They charge a very high customs processing fee. US postal service is the least expensive, followed by FedEx. UPS is the worst.
I live about 2 hours North of this person mentioned...almost everything that comes up here you get dinged for heavily by customs and UPS is the worst.

The only problem with U.S Postal service sometimes can be the time you have to wait..I swear they are delivering by horse and wagon.

**If you are having a freind deliver you stuff a few ways to avoid paying more fees is to claim the value cheap...for instance if something is worth $500 claim the value as $50-75 or in the notes section claim the value as $20 and write "Broken - sending for repair"

**Another way if the items are small enough have them sent overnight Fedex to Canada, you will almost never be charged any extra duty fees doing it this way because they don't have time to process them and usually just x-ray and pass them through as quick as possible.

BTW IVB it is illegal to ship bricks and claim they are something else..others have been charged with this in the past, the CIA of course wouldn't be involved because they are the Central Intelligence Agency and should be be gathering intelligence for your country and not busting brick senders :) ...the American side most likely to deal with this would be ICE(Immigration and Customs Enforcement) and on the Canadian side it would be the RCMP or the local police..in this case the Calgary City Police.

**Also note any items sent over the border and claimed to be one thing and actually are something else can be reported if you have proof, the person can be charged with mail fraud for misrepresenting the contents of a package..its not easy in court to claim you actually sent a box of bricks by accident instead of a computer...if this ever happens to you then contact the Canadian Postal Service or U.S Postal service and ask to speak to a fraud investigator and provide them with your evidence.

Hello Guys,
Thank you all for the nice supportive words. Of course I do not have anything against Canadians. I do have many and many friends against them.
As Trojan said - "THERE IS ALWAYS ONE", that will spoil it for everyone.

Again - Thanks guys!!!!

I'll let you know if I receive back my Audrey or pile of junk..

Cheers
Marty

Ripper99,

I hate to tell you but this is also illegal...

**If you are having a freind deliver you stuff a few ways to avoid paying more fees is to claim the value cheap...for instance if something is worth $500 claim the value as $50-75 or in the notes section claim the value as $20 and write "Broken - sending for repair**

roussell said:
Skibum said:
When I try to go there:

"No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster"

Looks like I was too late. Man they're quick with that delete button...
I'm the one that blew the whistle on the HomeSeer thread. Have never done that before, but seemed like it was going no where fast and I didn't see how the current content could benefit the HA community.

I've known Marty on the message boards for years and even had the pleasure to meet him in person when he visited my house last year. He seems like a standup guy, so dissapointed to hear about his troubles.

Cheers,
Paul

Back