[Blogs] If the shoe fits - Epic Success

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Droid

CT Bot
I was starting to get pretty frustrated with all the Epic failures I was experiencing over the last few days. I needed to get my computer to use the TV as a monitor, but I needed it to be over component cables. Component cables was the requirement due to my lack of wiring behind the TV, my desire to not have to go in the attic to run more cables, and my amplifier not having inputs for HDMI or DVI to do video switching.

I bought a Passive DVI to RGB cable off Ebay , Epic Fail.

I tried soldering a VGA to RGB cable, epic fail.

I tried cutting a Factory VGA cable in half, cutting a component cable in half, ringing out the wires and twisting the appropriate wires together, epic fail.

At wits end, (and research on the internet indicated my video card didn’t output the proper signal to convert DVI/VGA to component) I broke down and ordered an active DVI to RGB converter. I set the resolution on the DVI port to 1920x1080 at 60hz and bingo, picture. However there were horizontal lines through the text on the screen. I tinkered for over an hour, before changing the refresh rate to 50hz, if only because it was the only setting I hadn’t messed with yet. It worked perfect. Clear picture, with the only problem being the desktop extends past the edge of the screen in all 4 directions about a half inch. I loaded up a movie I had on my hard drive and put it into full screen, and it looked gorgeous.

Now I had the problem of controlling a computer that was downstairs that had a monitor that was upstairs. I thought if I used the existing Cat5 cable behind the TV that goes to the basement, I could use it as a USB extension cable. I read on the internet that it is possible, but people were only getting it to work over 40-50 feet of cat5 cable. Mine is about 75 feet……..

I built a USB to Cat5 cable by cutting 2 USB cables and shoving the 8 wires into a RJ45 end. Then I pulled a female USB dongle out of an old dead computer, and shoved those 8 wires into another RJ45 End. I plugged my wireless keyboard and mouse receiver into the female USB, plugged the female USB to RJ45 adapter into the keystone jack behind the TV, and the male USB to RJ45 end into the patch panel downstairs then USB end into the computer. I let out a huge sigh when I went back upstairs, and the keyboard and mouse work flawlessly.

After days of epic failures, finally, Epic Success.

This thread is not open. If you wish to respond, please respond using the original blog entry link. View the original blog entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back