Brightspeech get it NOW!

BSR,
My thoughts were just the opposite. I run a 2.8 GHZ machine. Many have complained about the delay in the AT&T voices as well as the NeoSpeech voices. I do not have a delay at all with either of these voices and can't really tell a bit of difference between the NeoSpeech and the Brightspeech voices. That's why I was asking about CPU speeds.

Here's the download link. Just follow the steps.
http://www.babeltech.be/Demos.php?s=48&m=3&f=97

OK, I will download and try it out. I am running (for my Homeseer machine) a 1.33 GHZ AMD with 512 MB DDR Ram at 266 MHZ FSB so we'll see what happens.

Well I have been running Heather for the past couple days now. I would have to say I have noticed that she responds a bit faster than the NeoSpeech voices do. She certainly sounds better than either Cystal or Kate do. I asked my wife and son also if they thought she sounded more natural and they agreed also that she was better. I was using Paul for quite some time as I thought he was the best sounded man voice. I am not sure I think Ryan is better than Paul.

I also think Heather needs a bit of tweaking on the way she speaks. She seems to have trouble saying sentences and sometimes runs words together. It doesn't happen al the time but its anoying when she does. But overal she does sound the most natural that I have heard and I ran both the AT&T and NeoSpeech Voices.

I guess the proof will be when it gets switched back to the old ones. Thats when it will be noticeable if indeed she sounds better.

John

Well it took an hour to download the Heather voice and it says its corrupt when it did an integrity check while trying to install. I'll give it ONE more shot, downloading tonight (another hour).

BSR,
I did it at work on a T1 line and it took over a hour and a half. There site leaves much to be desired. If you keep trying the site seems to randomly give every X download a fast connection.

Its us 9000 Homeseer users that are bringing the site down to its knees. I downloaded them last week with no problems. Heather is seducing my home now for the next 26 days....

John

I had no problems downloading these voices at a decent speed a few hours ago, keep in mind that the site is located in europe, which tends to be slower.

I downloaded the demo and had it running today. I ran it through most of my voice announcement events.

The voice is different and does pronounce some phrases clearer than AT&T Crystal. But I also found that Heather slurs words together on some phrases that Crystal did not. Let me give some examples.

One of my phrases is "Family room window opened". Crystal always pronounced it like "FAMly room window opened" with a significant accent on the first syllable in Family (very annoying). Heather pronounced this a lot clearer with no significant accent mistake.

For my phone call announcement I have the phrase "Call From", then the caller's name. Heather pronounced this like it was one word (callfrom) and you could barely make out the "ffff" sound of the "f" in from.

One thing I did notice is that it makes a LOT of difference what kind of quality audio/sound system you play Heather on in how she sounds. My home announcements use an Elk Amplifier and the cheap Elk Speakers. My Homeseer PC has a Labtech speaker (middle road quality) in my den. In cases where I thought she was running words together I noticed that this was not as significant a problem when I was listening to her on my Homeseer (better) speakers.

I never noticed this problem with Crystal. I also noticed when background noise was high, Heather was less clear.

These reasons may explain why some people did not think Heather was significantly better than Crystal.

I did not notice a performance difference with either voice (running a dedicated Homeseer machine on an AMD 1.33 Ghz with 512 MB DDR @ 266Mhz FSB). I did notice for this script:
Code:
hs.speak  "The dryer has finished, , , , , , , , , , , ,  The dryer has finished", FALSE
Heather had a few seconds delay between the phrases where Crystal did not. (Maybe that is the performance difference people are talking about??)

One other thing I noticed with Heather was the significant "British Like" accent. Everyone noticed it in my family. I personally have nothing against British sounding people, but I found this a little strong for my tastes for this first day (I guess you could say; "not my cup of tea").

I'm going to run through the 30 day demo and leave comments as I test this voice out. All in all I would say it's good, but also has different flaws that Crystal did not, so its not the "Holy Grail" of voices, but it is good. Price would be a very significant deciding factor for purchase this voice!

Another thing I noticed with fellow members, it seems that sound and sight are very subjective. What looks and sounds "good" to one person may not to another. (This is why its tough describing video quality to people as well).

Well that's enough babbling for now! ;)

BSR

The way Heather speaks words can be easily changed with the Voice Manager. I first noticed that she said homeseer like this: homie seer. Which at first was funny as heck, but quickly became annoying. A quick trial and error with the phoenitics solved the problem. Now she says it the way it should be. It looked like it was going to be tricky to do, but after messing with it awhile, it became easy! (and kinda fun too)

The voice may not be perfect, but it is ABSOLUTELY (for me) the best voice I have heard.
As JOM said, changing the sound of a few offending words is really easy.

BSR,
This is what I reported a long time ago. I thought Heather was drunk when I first tested her. ;) She's definitely not worth $20 more that what I paid for HS to me. Ski must be lonely and have Heather speak more than I did. ;)

You know, I do have to admit though that the voice does grow on you. Hmmm, how much is this going to be again? Does anyone know?

Back