Can I Automatically Start/Stop TV Signal?

DotNetDog

I want to be able to automatically (hopefully using UPB) start and/or stop the TV signal going to a TV in my house. OK, here's the scenario...

If I allow my teenage daughter to have a TV in her bedroom then I want to be able to turn it off at a certain time. Now, I could use IR transmitters but since I can't detect if the TV is on or off then I would just be toggling the power state.

I could use a UPB appliance module (or a higher amperage module) to control the power to the TV but then I have to deal with resetting the time and other settings on the TV due to the power going out.

It seems like I should be able to control the TV signal directly from the wiring room. If there were some kind of device that would pass the coax signal through an on/off switch then that would be ideal.

Of course, any messing around with the TV signal wire means some loss of signal and that could be a problem. Hmphhhh!

Any ideas? Other than not allowing a TV in my daughters room.

I would just use a current switch at the TV to determine it's power state and then use IR based on that input. That, of course, depends on what gear you have and what available IO is there.

AnthonyZ, Actually, that is a better way. I just realized that if I stop the coax signal in the wiring room (before it reaches the STB) then I lose sync with the ComCast headend. That would mean everytime I "turn on" the coax signal the STB would take 45 minutes+ to re-sync with ComCast.

I'll look into a current switch to detect the TV's state... Any recommendations?

years ago, i remember seeing a coax a/b switch with a wallwart, that when powered, would switch to the b input. you could use something like that (if you can find it still), with the a side connected to your video signal and b left unconnected - so when it's powered, it would disconnect the video signal.

nm, just saw your post about set top box re-syncing

Yeah, I found a current sensor for under $15 that looks interesting. If I can do this inexpensively then my daughter may get her TV... Next, I need to find a cheap IR solution...

What about something like this?

http://www.familysafemedia.com/tv_timer_hopscotch_bob.html

I wouldn't rely on IR to control the TV (the OFF signal could be blocked 'by accident').

This is what you're looking for: RF Relay

I have been using it for years. In my case, I used X-10 to cycle power to the unit to switch off my son's cable. Since he didn't know it existed, he couldn't defeat it, unlike plug-in timers.

Mark

What about something like this?

http://www.familysafemedia.com/tv_timer_hopscotch_bob.html

I wouldn't rely on IR to control the TV (the OFF signal could be blocked 'by accident').

I don't think that's a real concern. If you can tell the TV is still on, just escalate.

If it has power after X'o'clock, turn it off.
If it still has power, turn it off again.
If it still has power, flash the room lights, then wait a bit and turn it off again.
If it still has power, send a text message to dad....

Personally I'd put the TV in her room, but not the cable box. Put the STB somewhere else, and use a relay or RF switch to interrupt the connection between it and the TV.

I'm not sure which method of connecting you're using - but if it's RCA's of some sort, those can be interrupted via relays; if it's HDMI, I'd probably use a 2-port HDMI switcher and switch to the blank source after hours... or if you're really feeling creative, set the 2nd source to soothing night music or family pictures or something fun. I know my daughter would love that.

I have a teenage sister - every time she stays over she stays up until 3AM watching TV... and I used to do that as a teenager too, then sleep in class... I think this is something every parent should consider!

It would not be too hard to build a small box connecting between the STB and TV. The TV signal going through this box. Inside, use UPB, X10, or network controlled method to connect/disconnect the TV signal at certain time. If put STB somewhere else, it will be too much trouble to change TV channel through that STB.

If put STB somewhere else, it will be too much trouble to change TV channel through that STB.
Depends on the STB... DirecTV for example has a simple option to configure their remotes to be RF instead of IR. I haven't used comcast in years so I'm not sure what they have. Otherwise IR repeaters work just fine. There's even one system that replaces one of the batteries with a transmitter (here).

On that last option you could even transmit an IR "Off" to the box if it's detected to be on, then cut off power to the receiver after hours.

I set up my kid's TV system to turn on from a keypad button on the wall. It allows to turn TV on 3 times a day. Each time you turn it on TV will stay on for one hour, then it turns off automatically. The kid decides whether to use all his quota at once or to use it throughout the day.

Most of the details (I made some changes since) are described in my blog's post http://ulanoff.com/blogs/automation/2010/08/12/diy-project-how-to-cut-your-kids-tv-time-without-saying-a-word-the-geek-way/

So, just how crafty is your kid?

Will she unscrew a signal switching device and plug the cable box directly into the tv, then reverse it when she is done so you don't know? Would she add an ota antenna to the tv if you put the cable box in another room? Would she unplug the tv from a powerswitched outlet and plug it in somehwere else?

The most tamper proof system would be to replace the electrical plug on the tv with a unique style and replace just one jack in her room with that style. Like this http://www.homedepot.com/Pass-Seymour/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ50l/R-202039720/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Ideally you would have a place to interupt power to that switch with upb/insteon/zwave like this. http://www.smarthome.com/2475S2/INSTEON-In-LineLinc-On-Off-Module-Non-dimming-w-Sense/p.aspx

If need be, you can put a surface mouted gang box over the top of your in-wall gang and mount the stuff in there. You will lose the tv's clock I suppose, but who really cares.

Wow! Some pretty good ideas here. Lou, my daughter is very clever but with limited resources (i.e. - she probably wouldn't go with an OTA antenna). She does simple things like put a towel down at the door so I don't see the "glow" from the TV in the middle of the night. Although, she probably would unscrew a box and re-route wires...she's capable of doing that.

I like the current sensor ideas. I found some that include a relay so they should easily tie into the Elk M1G (I have that system). That way I could automate lights flashing, warnings (via text), and eventually forcibly turning off the TV.

Back