Can I Automatically Start/Stop TV Signal?

A simpler idea that is nearly as tamper proof.

If the tv cord is hard wired to the tv, run into a small electric box and clamp it down (you will probably need to cut the plug off, then splice it back on once inside the box. If the tv power cord is not hard wired but rather has one of those standard jacks on the back (like a computer), then open up the tv, remove it and hardwire the tv to a power cord.

Once you have the tv hardwired with the plug terminating in a small electric box get a programmable timer and mount it inside the box. Run another power cord out of the box with a standard wall plug on it and plug it in. Then set the timer for whatever times you want and screw the box shut.

Cost for wire and electrical enclosure would be $10 to $15. This timer is $45 http://www.smarthome.com/2456S3T/TimerLinc-INSTEON-Plug-In-Timer/p.aspx

Now, if she is smart and so inclined, she could unscrew the cap on the enclosure and reprogram the timer. But if she is scared of electricity, you should be ok.

Or if you didn't want the electrical enclosure, you could open up the timer, cut the plug off of the tv cable, and hardwire the tv directly to the inside of the timer. This would, of course, void the warranty on the timer. Odds are, you could remove a jack from the back of the tv and hardwire it without doing anything irreversable so warranty should be ok there.

Wiremold box/extension with tamperproof screws holding a blank plate on it. Cut end off cord, then wire in a module based on your HA hardware to be controled.

Barring that, same idea to kill the signal between the TV and box, as suggested before.

I want to be able to automatically (hopefully using UPB) start and/or stop the TV signal going to a TV in my house. OK, here's the scenario...

If I allow my teenage daughter to have a TV in her bedroom then I want to be able to turn it off at a certain time. Now, I could use IR transmitters but since I can't detect if the TV is on or off then I would just be toggling the power state.

I could use a UPB appliance module (or a higher amperage module) to control the power to the TV but then I have to deal with resetting the time and other settings on the TV due to the power going out.

It seems like I should be able to control the TV signal directly from the wiring room. If there were some kind of device that would pass the coax signal through an on/off switch then that would be ideal.

Of course, any messing around with the TV signal wire means some loss of signal and that could be a problem. Hmphhhh!

Any ideas? Other than not allowing a TV in my daughters room.
I see there are all kinds of suggestions about how to control this. Why not just tell her if she doesn't turn it off when she's supposed to, she loses the privilege and the TV gets taken away. Tell her you can monitor when the TV is on. (probably by using a current sensor of some kind)
You're spending a lot of time and money to solve a behavior/parenting problem.

I see there are all kinds of suggestions about how to control this. Why not just tell her if she doesn't turn it off when she's supposed to, she loses the privilege and the TV gets taken away. Tell her you can monitor when the TV is on. (probably by using a current sensor of some kind)
You're spending a lot of time and money to solve a behavior/parenting problem.

Well, so far I haven't spent any money and the time is whatever it took me to post several times here. I'm a technology fan...so I just posted a question to see if anyone had any clever/creative ideas on using technology to address common problems. Again, I was just fishing for ideas. Thanks for the parenting advise but I think I can handle that just fine.

Odd problem. How about, modifying the TV. Take something like a UPB low voltage I/O module and detect whether or not it's on via a current sensor, or whatever. Figure out a way to disable the TV. The IR sensor should be easy to disable, the on/off switch harder. The later might be circumvented by programming the TV to automatically turn on if it has that capability.

There are still TVs out there that are serial controllable. LG for one has serial control on many (most) of their models. You can tell if the TV is on, which channel/input it is turned to, as well as control the power, change channels, etc all through the serial input.

Depending on how you monitor it, you could also tell if the serial connection is broken (ie the serial connector was unplugged).

Using serial control would allow you to both monitor and control the TV directly. No IR or current sensors needed. Since it sounds like you haven't actually bought a TV yet, you can simply look for one that allows serial control.

Back