Cure for a lot of x-10 issues

Jeff, you may want to check out k7 or eFax for free fax receipt services.

http://www.efax.com/
http://k7.net/

eFax is limited use (x pages per month max, and they enforce it).
I think k7 is unlimited, but you need 1 voice mail or fax per month minimum to keep your account open.

JeffVolp said:
It plugs between an existing transmitter and the wall socket, and will boost the output only from that transmitter.
Hi Jeff,
Just one clarification... I'm assuming you could, for example, plug a (non surge) powerstrip into your amplifier, then plug, say, both a CM11, and a wireless transceiver into the powerstrip to boost signals from both devices?

Thanks!

Some people have done exactly that. However, keep in mind that the XTB was designed to pass a return signal back to one transmitter. The signal on the shared bus will be attenuated by additional transmitters connected in parallel.

Right now I have a TW-523 for my Ocelot plugged into a Smarthome Booster link. Will I get an appreciable increase in signal/performance with this device over the Smarthome one?

As far as those who commented on the surface mount, just wondering if you ever tried putting in one of these puppy's with a plain soldering iron... :lol:

BraveSirRobbin said:
Right now I have a TW-523 for my Ocelot plugged into a Smarthome Booster link. Will I get an appreciable increase in signal/performance with this device over the Smarthome one?

As far as those who commented on the surface mount, just wondering if you ever tried putting in one of these puppy's with a plain soldering iron... :lol:
It will definitely be better because plugging a TW523 into a boosterlinc doesn't do anything for you. A boosterlinc takes any signals it sees on the line and retransmits them at full strength per the X-10 spec. Since a TW523 is lready transmitting at that level, the boosterlinc is not adding anything. To see a benefit you have to move the boosterlinc away to a point where the TW523 signal starts to get weak so the Bossterlinc can bring it back up to its original strength at that remote location.

The XTB on the other hand will take the signal from the TW523 that is plugged into it and boost it to a level HIGHER than the X-10 spec so it really blasts out.

dscline said:
but decided not to out of concern that it could pose some kind of regulatory issue (like UL, or some other agency).
not sure about UL But selling it as a kit I beleive gets him around FCC rules but I cant find where that is writtten right now

But on the otherhand

upstatemike said:
The XTB on the other hand will take the signal from the TW523 that is plugged into it and boost it to a level HIGHER than the X-10 spec so it really blasts out.

it may exceed the levels that are allowed for PLC type devices.

Hi all,

I just purchased one of the XTB kits from Jeff recently and can say that the quality of the parts and pwb is very good.

Jeff is correct when he says that soldering the SMD op amp to the pwb is not easy. I soldered it on first to have room to maneuver my soldering iron around to get a good shot at the leads.

I recommend that you use a solder station type of soldering iron with a very fine tip and use very fine solder. As Jeff says, position the SMD and then get one lead soldered and adjust as necessary to have all of the SMD leads aligned with the pwb pads.

I presently have the pwb completely assembled and will complete the assembly of the XTB this weekend.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,
TCIII

upstatemike said:
I just put the order in. I'll let you know when I have it installed on my Stargate.
Do you have a signal strength meter? If not, I would be willing to loan you one for your testing! ;)

I've got a couple of the elk testers, and a leviton X-10 test set, and a Monterey meter of some sort... I think I've got it covered.

JeffVolp said:
Some people have done exactly that. However, keep in mind that the XTB was designed to pass a return signal back to one transmitter. The signal on the shared bus will be attenuated by additional transmitters connected in parallel.
Ok, thanks... that brings up another question. I have a closet that currently houses two transceivers and the x-10 interface for my security panel. It's a good location because it's close to the middle of the house, and relatively close to my main panel. It wouldn't take much to run a serial cable so I could also put my CM11a in the same location. That would put all the "important" transmitters in one location. So let's say there were FOUR devices behind the XTB... previously you said the return path amplification was limited to prevent coupling into the
power amplifier. Since in this case, there would be extra attenuation due to the extra devices, could some component(s) be changed out with a different value to allow a higher return-path amplification to counteract this extra attenuation?

dscline said:
So let's say there were FOUR devices behind the XTB... previously you said the return path amplification was limited to prevent coupling into the power amplifier. Since in this case, there would be extra attenuation due to the extra devices, could some component(s) be changed out with a different value to allow a higher return-path amplification to counteract this extra attenuation?
There are two factors involved. First, that op-amp was never intended to drive multiple transmitter loads, and it is not a high-power device. Then there is one resistor that sets the feedback signal level. The value used there is a balancing act. The lower that value goes to drive more signal out to the "shared bus", the heavier load it presents to the transmitters on that bus. Maybe it could go down by a factor of 2, but the op-amp may not be able to supply that much power. If you want to experiment, it is the 10 ohm resistor underneath the transformer in the lower left corner.

Ok, thanks! I may just have to order one and try it out! It would be nice to be able to pump up the power for all of the critical transmitters with one device. When you say "it could go down by a factor of 2", I assume you mean lowering resistance, such as down to a 5ohm resistor?

I guess one of the things I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is quantifying the negative effect of having multiple devices behind the XTB. From my perspective, ALL my devices are on a "shared bus", and therefore already represent a load to each other. I suppose the XTB somewhat isolates them from the rest of the circuit (and passes the signals between the "inside" and "outside"), and perhaps the XTB just can't pass enough signal inside for multiple devices? Do you expect the potential performance decrease to simply be one of reducing the improvement that the XTB offers, or actually reducing it lower than if the XTB weren't there at all? In other words, does the XTB somehow isolate what's behind it to the extent that if there's enough load behind it, it's not able to pass as much signal as just straight wiring?

The 10 ohms would be decreased in value, but I don't know where the op-amp will become the limiting factor. I suggest you try it without changing anything first.

The XTB must isolate what is behind it from the line to prevent a feedback loop. That controlled pathway was designed for a single X10 bi-directional transmitter. While some are successfully using the XTB with more than one transmitter, I have not tested that mode, and I do not know what the practical limit is.

We know that multiple X10 transmitters load down each other. That's why they recommend a limit on how many are on each circuit. The XTB needs at least 3Vpp to turn on the power amplifier. As long as multiple transmitters on the "shared bus" do not load each other below that value, then the XTB power amplifier should produce its full output.

Remember, there is a 24-watt limit on the X10 receptacle.

Back