Daylight Savings Issues

Mine went an hour ahead last week, and another hour ahead yesterday.

And Elk going dealer only? Is that true? I gotta assume that the majority of ideas for additional products and features come from the DIY community. But, maybe I'm wrong, they would know.

I bet that most of the bug identification is from the diy people. Pros would never spend the time programming all the crazy stuff in that us diy people do.

Mine is behind, not ahead, 1 hour. In the fall it was ahead 1 hour.
Both times everything worked fine on DST, but changed on Monday. In the fall, it fixed itself by Tues. Now, here on Tuesday it still isn't correct.
I do use a time server.

Ugh, does Elk not know how to setup a non-authoritative NTP server so they can test this. I am starting to believe that they make changes and can only test two time a year...

So last fall mine behaved perfectly with DST. On Sunday it behaved exactly as it should and changed its time correctly. On Monday it decided to go back to Standard time. WTH? Seriously what is the Elk using for its realtime clock and algorithms, these are nothing new to the computer work and I would think have been well vetted. The errors we are seeing strike me as very odd.

What I found interesting is that a lot of people mentioned DST changed on March 8th.

If you go into ElkRP and look at the Date/Time setup, there are two choices: Xth week of the month, or an actual date....its interesting that the default date is...March 8th.

Almost like the control isnt honoring the choice there, or maybe we need to toggle it (click to March 8, then back to Xth week of the month)

And after my system changed correctly, now today it was finally off - by 1 hour. At 9:00PM I got my daily 8:00PM announcement (don't get me started on the added hassles with my kids!).

I sure hope this is the last time... I'm not sure if I should muck with the system or if it'll correct itself.

Im confused.....I checked the time on mine today and it was correct.

How are some people getting issues, and some others are not?

How are some people getting issues, and some others are not?
Probably they have different firmware versions.

I tested the latest M1 beta this past weekend and it worked fine. My understanding is that Elk had this working fine, but then decided to optimize (ie shrink) the code, since memory space is precious, and issues were generated. I have worked with other Windows software that has repeatedly had issues with tasks when DST changed, so covering all the scenarios is not always trivial. Hopefully Elk has it fixed now. At least we won't hear of any issues for 8 months :)

Yeah I thought about different firmware versions, but I figured all us DIY-nuts probably upgrade to latest and greatest whenever possible. I know thats what I do with a lot of my other "stuff" (phones, computers, etc) but maybe in the security realm "if it aint broke...." applies.

According to Elk's M1 firmware release notes, version 5.2.4 dated 6/14/10 is the last UL version, "currently used in new controls."
However Elk has released two subsequent firmware updates: 5.2.6 (2/14/11) and 5.2.8 (7/18/11), both of which have not been evaluated by UL as of the document publication date 7/18/11.

Under version 5.2.8. Elk claims to have fixed the DST problem:
"2. Found and fixed a new problem found in the Daylight Savings Time auto-adjust. This problem manifested itself even when using the M1XEP to access a time server."

Perhaps everyone who is or is not experiencing this problem can report which firmware he's running.

I'm running 5.2.4 and have:
Globals (Misc): Observe daylight savings time CHECKED
Specify: DST Starts [SECOND] [SUNDAY] in [MARCH]
DST Ends [FIRST] [SUNDAY] in [NOVEMBER]
M1XEP checks into a NIST time server daily. (The time server is located in my time zone, not that that should matter...)

Yet my system is currently behind by one hour (no change from standard time).
However I don't recall having a problem last fall going from DST to standard. (I've owned the M1G for less than 1 year.)
A hard reboot of either M1G and M1XEP seems to have no effect on the matter.

I'm running 4.6.8 which is the equivalent of 5.2.8 but for the other wireless setup (I have no wireless at all and it was a random selection on my part when I first installed the elk). I am running 1.3.26 for xep firmware.

It moved to DST early (March 8'th? Don't know, I was out of town) but only moved ahead that one time and has not changed since. So it is correct today. I have it set for the second sunday in march just like above and also have it checking the ntp server every night.

I'll have to check all of my firmware versions, but it is now correct today. In the fall it took 1 day to fix itself, this time 4 days.

Rather than put extra code in the firmware, why not have a command to set the time via the PC clock? This way we could just have an event correct the time once per day..issue solved! :rockon:

Back