DiscountHomeAutomation.com

HAdiy

Has anyone had any experience purchasing via discounthomeautomation.com? If so, could you please share your experience(s)?

Also, are there any other recommendations in regards to where to purchase HAI products?

Thanks in advance!

I've bought several thousand dollars worth of product from Automated Outlet and been extremely happy with their technical expertise, customer service, pretty much everything. Along the journey of building my automated home I had a number of questions, ran into a few issues with products, and even ordered a few things wrong. They were always quick to give me answers, direct me towards the right hardware/technology, and remedy any issues with products/things I misordered.

Would definitely recommend them strongly to anyone. The people I worked with closely were account managers Paul and Chad.

I agree with the above regarding Automated Outlet. I've also ordered from ASIHome. Both companies are part of the vendor alliance here and have active members.

More information regarding the Cocoontech Vendor Alliance here: http://cocoontech.com/forums/forum/59-cocoontechcom-vendor-alliance/

+1 on AO. Ironically I stopped by there tonight to exchange a couple of switches. Bill and the team are very accommodating.

Any thoughts on Hometech Solutions?

Hometech is pretty close to me, and i've stopped by the shop a number of times over the past 5 years. It's nice having them local, but I've found the help or advice i get from them is of limited value (i.e. sometimes wrong), their in-stock selection is pretty limited (they frequently don't have what i need in stock), and their prices are high relative to online stores (Cupertino isn't cheap). I only use them now when I know exactly what I need, when I really need something right away, and when they have it in stock.

I've mostly ended up buying from AO and a few things here and there from Worthington / ASIHome. I've received great advice, very helpful support, fast turnaround on orders, and good prices from both, but I've spent a lot more money at AO and I definitely feel like they have been good to me.

You mean that a new user joins and a few minutes later comments on an unknown web site that shows up a few days before? Hmm, that seems a bit cynical (and I'm a bit sarcastic).

All thread fishiness aside... Home Controls here in San Diego is an excellent HAI dealer, along with a ton of other lines. The sales and tech support folks are always ready to help out, and have been very supportive.

All thread fishiness aside... Home Controls here in San Diego is an excellent HAI dealer, along with a ton of other lines. The sales and tech support folks are always ready to help out, and have been very supportive.
I'll second this - I've had an account with them for almost 13 years - longer than CT has been around, and I'll say that they're a great company. They even take great notes about what I like/don't like (packaging, shipping carriers) without me asking and they have always provided excellent knowledge and service. I shudder to think how much money I've spent with them over the years! They don't participate here unfortunately whereas AO used to have a strong presence here both in the forums and in chat.

As for the erie timing of homeautomator's post - I would suspect whoever owns it has some google keyword monitoring going on and saw the post... but hey, I guess I'm just cynical too.

If you are buying from Worthington's site you are buying at wholesale prices. I buy from them as well. So I think it is a question of support level. Worthington has experienced support like AO but in my experience they expect you do more leg work yourself.

For example, I had to return a couple of wireless sensors to them because they would not enroll. Either the battery was too weak, or the ID label was wrong. Either way, they weren't going to work for me since I am not going to climb into my attic to do manual enrollment. Worthington bench tested them and said they were fine and argued about replacing them. Since they are a wholesaler, they aren't just going to accept returns, you have to justify it. Most retailers don't operate that way. Also with Elk's new (lack of) direct support rules, I think you will get better technical support out of a direct dealer vs. a wholesaler like Worthington, and I think HAI has the same rules.

Thats how I use them, if I want cheap prices on something like wire that I am not worried about support, i'll buy from Worthington. But I wouldn't buy a complex/expensive equipment that I have any expectation of support, from them anymore.

I've done an RMA with Worthington and it went well. I'm not sure if they tested the dimmer or not, but they shipped the replacement before even receiving the defective unit (of course they had my billing info). I wasn't trying to get money back though, I don't know what their policy would be on that, but I'd expect a restocking fee.

Back when the VRC0Pv3 came out several firmware bugs were present. The head of training for Worthington actually put me in touch with Leviton's project manager for the VRC0Pv3, and they actually fixed the issues! Leviton also ran trials using Premise to replicate the exact problem I was having.

Worthington also runs ASIHome, a retail site, so they have a high level of expertise and even offer free training classes. ASIHome isn't a bad site either. I looked at the AO prices for Elk stuff and found I saved hundred's of dollars ($400 or more, forgot the exact amount) just on my Elk system. Even simple stuff on AO seems to have way too much mark-up for me. I was just curious if they are as easy to work with on setting up a wholesale/dealer account. I see a lot of folks recommend them and always wondered if there was some special pricing they offered or something.

FYI: If you are talking about the new two-way Elk RF stuff, I initially had issues enrolling, but I did a firmware update and things seem to work after that. I do recall having to use an actual keypad to enroll them though. I also wasn't very happy about having to move zones around to use them either, but they did eventually work. If you are using the RF sensors and have a highly technical question, Spanky is great and is active here. He helped me by telling me about an RF debug mode that makes the RF keyfobs many times more versatile with a PC based HA program (see this thread: http://cocoontech.com/forums/forum/42-elk-products-inc-elk/).

Back