Drilling holes for knockouts in an enclosure

What is a System Sensor module?

I am unfamiliar with the RadioRa stuff.

How are you connecting the GE wireless module, ZigBee module, System Sensor i4 module, and RadioRA 2 controller to the panel and HV?

You had mentioned earlier that you are running all of the LV wires to the top of the HAI can. 

Will the wires be in some sort of chase ?

Just trying to visualize your end state.

The System Sensor COSMOD2W is the 2 wire smoke interface module that will mount to the 4" steel box. I want the wires in hidden so the system is permanent and can't be tampered with. The RadioRA 2 controller, GE wireless, and ZigBee module are going to mount to the left of the OmniPro II enclosure. They all connect with serial cables to the top of the controller going in the 1/2" top left knockout. I changed my mind and am going to drill a hole in the plywood that matches the OmniPro II enclosure and run the wires behind the plywood. This should provide a cleaner install. Originally the plan was to drill the top right of the enclosure to have a 1 1/2" conduit go up to the ceiling and run the cables in that. The Elk power adapter will go out the bottom right knockout to the wall outlet.

I should have everything mounted tonight and will post an updated picture. I installed the outlet last night and ran out of time to mount the other components. The RadioRA 2 system is already up and running and I have the Omnistat 2 thermostats, and System Sensor i3 and i4 smoke detectors installed. It's all waiting for me to make the connections. What I don't have yet is the GE wireless or wireless sensors bought. Plus I need to drill the doors and run the contacts for them.

Thank you rsw686.  Just curious.

Here and there only have the Leviton Z-Wave PIM near the can  - well its about 5-6 feet.

Rest of anything wireless stuff is no where near the panel.  

I used the two knockouts inside to the walls (for two setups). One setup is near capacity and the other is probably around 25% (years now).

I didn't use any of the stock HAI serial cables and crimped my own. 

Relating to my software automation stuff or long runs of serial used (well and made) all cat5x / baluns that I purchased in bulk unpinned. (and patch panels).  I am bad with colors such that I made a pin out drawing and used pin numbers matched to colors many many years ago. 

Here's a picture of what I ended up doing. I backed the 4" box with 3/4" plywood which solved the spacing issue so I could screw the box to the plywood.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 26
Good news rsw686.

Its been a few years here and I had similar issues installing my whole house surge protector.  I got a good deal on the device new.  Deal was related in that it didn't have any prepunched holes in it.  I did not have a punch so drilled a hole on the side of it. 

pte-160.gifptx-160.gif

It was a PITA because my fuse panel was mounted on flat 2X4's in the basement and the plywood next to it was mounted on 2X4's mounted flat but still elevated some.  I could not mount it as depicted in this picture.

The plywood installed next to the fuse panel was mounted on same elevation as the fuse panel.  Installing the surge protector on the plywood elevated it to a point too high to tap in to the fuse panel so I had to go with conduit back some.

index.php

Just notice my picture links are gone.  That said I do still have pictures of the endeavor which took a bit of time back around 2010.

index.php

pete_c that is a clean looking install! That might have been the better option, but I had the plywood on hand.

I'm up and running and I do like the clean look of fishing the wires behind. I have the OmniPro II, RadioRA 2 controller, OmniStat 2 thermostats, and System Sensors smoke detectors all communicating. I need to order the GE wireless and the Leviton RF+ interface. Right now I'm using a Vera with my Z-Wave Schlage locks and was planning to have the OmniPro as a secondary controller. However the Vera might go as the interface is horrendous. The main reason for it was to be able to easily add/remove lock PIN codes.

I know you are a HomeSeer fan. If I pickup a HomeTroller Zee S2 do you know if I can add / remove PIN codes from these locks?

rsw686 said:
Right now I'm using a Vera with my Z-Wave Schlage locks and was planning to have the OmniPro as a secondary controller. However the Vera might go as the interface is horrendous. The main reason for it was to be able to easily add/remove lock PIN codes.

I know you are a HomeSeer fan. If I pickup a HomeTroller Zee S2 do you know if I can add / remove PIN codes from these locks?
Yes, that is possible.  It can be done manually or through events.

Cheers
Al

Thank you RSW686.

The sandbox here has leaked over to HAI subpanels, out of the original OmniPro can, Leviton 42" panel et al while concurrently 2nd endeavor has remained as installed simple two cans and more utilized than experimented with.

Back