Elk – What do I need?

Helheim

I want to replace my current security system with an Elk so I can integrate it with my HA system but I’m not entirely sure of everything I need to get. I know I need this stuff:

ELK-M1GKS (Control + Transformer + M1KP2 Keypad + Battery + Speaker + RJ31X Jack & Cord)
ELK-SWB28 (Structured Wiring Box)
ELK-M1XIN (M1 16 Zone Input Expander)
ELK-M1XEP (Ethernet Port Interface)
Various sensors and smoke detectors.

Can I use my existing sensors, door contacts, and smoke detector or what exactly does the ELK-M1DBHR (M1 Data Bus Hub For Retrofit) do? Do I need the ELK-M1DBH (M1 Data Bus Hub) to connect the 16 zone input expander and keypad too, what if I get a second keypad? I’m not too sure about the outputs either, what can you hook up to the 10 low current (50mA) outputs? If you want to use more than one set of speakers (ELK-73) do I need the M1 16 Output Expander? What about if I want to use the strobe lights? Which speakers/sirens can be used outdoors?

For the Proximity Reader do I need both the ELK-M1PR and ELK-106055 or just one or the other? What do I need to use the 4 Button Keyfob? What type of things is the Elk Relay Module used for? Is the Bosch ISMBLP1P better than the Mirror Optic 44 lb Pet Immune Motion Sensor?

Besides the ELK-SWD1 (Grommet Donuts) what other accessories do I need? Did I miss anything in general?

Thanks.

Also can the Aprilaire 8051 Flush Mount Temperature Sensor be used directly with the elk? Do you need the 8061 Temperture Sensor Module?

Thanks.

Helheim said:
Can I use my existing sensors, door contacts, and smoke detector
probably, smoke detectors are the most questionable depending upon if they are 2wire or 2wire

Helheim said:
what exactly does the ELK-M1DBHR (M1 Data Bus Hub For Retrofit) do? Do I need the ELK-M1DBH (M1 Data Bus Hub) to connect the 16 zone input expander and keypad too, what if I get a second keypad?
technically, you do not need either one to simply add devices, but they do make it easier. You may want the retrofit hub depending upon your existing wires to your keypad areas. Depending upon your home layout, you probably do want multiple keypads. I suggest having a keypad in the master bedroom too.

Helheim said:
I’m not too sure about the outputs either, what can you hook up to the 10 low current (50mA) outputs?
just about anything that uses less than 50mA. Relays would be the most popular answer.

Helheim said:
If you want to use more than one set of speakers (ELK-73) do I need the M1 16 Output Expander? What about if I want to use the strobe lights? Which speakers/sirens can be used outdoors?
The output expander is for controlling relays, etc. It isn't needed for speakers unless you want to use those relays to turn some of the speakers on/off at different times. Sirens/speakers for outdoor use usually say they are rated for outdoor use in the description.

Ok so this is what I have put together so far:

1 M1GKS. ELK-M1GKS Elk System
1 ELK-M1DBH. Data Bus Hub
1 SWB28. 28" Elk Structured Wiring
1 ELK-M1XIN. M1 16 Zone Input Expander
1 M1XEP. M1 Ethernet Port Interface
2 ELK-SWD1. Grommet Donuts for Structur...
1 SL1. Strobe Light
1 Elk-150RT. Elk-150RT Siren; Heavy Duty...
1 ODC-59B. Garage Door Magnetic Sensor...
5 ISMBLP1P. ISMBLP1P Blue Line Quad PIR...
2 4WTA-B. Smoke Sensor, 4-Wire Photoe...
2 ESL 240-COe. Sentrol 240-COE Hardwire Ca...

Possibly:
1 ELK-M1PR Keypad Plug-in Proximity Reader
1 ELK-106055 UltraProx Weigand Reader
1 ELK-M1PRF Proximity Fob
1 ELK-M1ZTS (or maybe Aprilaire 8051)
1 ELK-M1ZTSR

I just need to know about the temp sensors and proximity stuff. Missing anything? Thanks.

If I get the Rosslare AY–F64 that connects to the keypad and then I can't use the Keypad Plug-in Proximity Reader correct? The AY-F64 works with the ELK-M1PRF fobs?

What would I need to do longer range RFID? Say I drive up in the car and the garage door opens?

Thanks.

Ok here is my new list:

1 M1GKS. ELK-M1GKS Elk System with n...
1 ELK-M1DBH. Data Bus Hub
1 ELK-M1XIN. M1 16 Zone Input Expander
1 M1XEP. M1 Ethernet Port Interface
1 SL1. Strobe Light
1 Elk-150RT. Elk-150RT Siren; Heavy Duty...
1 ODC-59B. Garage Door Magnetic Sensor...
5 ISMBLP1P. ISMBLP1P Blue Line Quad PIR...
2 4WTA-B. Smoke Sensor, 4-Wire Photoe...
2 ESL 240-COe. Sentrol 240-COE Hardwire Ca...
1 ELK-M1ZTS. Zone Temp Sensor
1 ELK-M1ZTSR. M1 Zone Temperature Interfa...
1 ELK-M1PRF. Proximity Fob (package of 10)
1 ELK-M1BBK2. Recess Mount Back Box Kit f...
1 Elk-1280. 12 Volts, 8 Ah Sealed Lead ...
1 TR40-485. TR40 RS-485 Thermostat
1 M1XSP. Lighting/Thermostat Interfa...
1 ELK-M1RB. M1 Relay Board, Plug-in (8 ...
2 EOLR-1. EOL Relay Module
1 C-0150. 50" Enclosure & Cover
1 ELK-SWD1. Grommet Donuts for Structur...
4 ELK-SWNS1. Nylon Standoffs for Circuit...
2 Elk-SWS. Structured Wiring Battery S...
2 C-0309. 6" x 9" Vertical Mounting P...
1 Elk-P624. 6 , 12 , or 24 Volt DC Powe...
1 AY-F64. Gang Box Backlit Pin/Prox 2...
4 ELK-SWP3. Multipurpose Adapter Plate

I may be wrong but I though the reversing relay was only needed for 2 wire smokes so that the sounders of all smokes in the chain and not just the originator went off. Most people use the 4 wires individually per zone and so only need the end of line relay.

I may be wrong but I though the reversing relay was only needed for 2 wire smokes so that the sounders of all smokes in the chain and not just the originator went off. Most people use the 4 wires individually per zone and so only need the end of line relay.

Sorry. You need them for 4-wire also for the same reason.

Thanks for the clarification, but to be totally clear, you only need the reversing relay if there is MORE than 1 smoke on the zone, right? If you have only one 4 wire smoke per zone, you only need the EOLR for power supervision, correct? I mean, if its the only detector and it trips, its own sounder will still go off without the reversing relay. correct?

Well this is what the final order ended up being:

M1GKS ELK-M1GKS Elk System with new KP2 and no cabinet 1
ELK-M1DBH Data Bus Hub 1
ELK-M1XIN M1 16 Zone Input Expander 1
M1XEP M1 Ethernet Port Interface 1
SL1 Strobe Light 1
Elk-150RT Elk-150RT Siren; Heavy Duty, Stainless Housing 1
ODC-59B Garage Door Magnetic Sensor - Normally Open/Normally Closed 1
ISMBLP1P ISMBLP1P Blue Line Quad PIR (35 Feet by 35 Feet, 30LB Pet Friendly) 5
4WTA-B Smoke Sensor, 4-Wire Photoelectric, Thermal & Sounder 2
ESL 240-COe Sentrol 240-COE Hardwire Carbon Monoxide Detector 2
ELK-M1ZTS Zone Temp Sensor 1
ELK-M1ZTSR M1 Zone Temperature Interface with 7 foot Remote Probe 1
ELK-M1PRF Proximity Fob (package of 10) 1
ELK-M1BBK2 Recess Mount Back Box Kit for M1-KP2 2
Elk-1280 12 Volts, 8 Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery 1
TR40-485 TR40 RS-485 Thermostat 1
M1XSP Lighting/Thermostat Interface, Serial Port Expander 2
ELK-M1XOVR 16 Output Expander, 8 Voltage/8 Relays 1
EOLR-1 EOL Relay Module 2
ELK-SWD1 Grommet Donuts for Structured Wiring Box 2
ELK-SWNS1 Nylon Standoffs for Circuit Boards 4
Elk-SWS Structured Wiring Battery Shelf 2
Elk-P624 6 , 12 , or 24 Volt DC Power Supply & Battery Charger 1
TRG1640 16.5V 45VA Plug In Transformer 1
AY-F64 Gang Box Backlit Pin/Prox 26 Bit Weigand Reader 1
ELK-SWP3 Multipurpose Adapter Plate 4
C-0308 12" x 5.5" Horitontal Mount Plate 4
Elk-950 Telephone and Power Line Surge Suppressor 1
ELK-W039A M1 KP2 Accessory Wire Harness 1
47605-DP AC Power Module 2
47605-42N 47605-42N 42" Series 420 Structured Media Enclosure (no cover) 2
47605-42D 42" Series 420 Structured Media Hinged Cover 2
5L000-LOK 5L000-LOK Leviton Lock and Key 2
Elk-M1KP2 KP2 Keypad for M1 controls 1
ELK-930 Doorbell & Telephone Ring Detector 1
C-0702 Bracket and Power Strip: 6 Outlets 2
38Stubby-10 3/8" Magnetic Stubby Reed Switch - 10 Pack! 1

Helheim said:
carry15 said:
Should have also added that you will likely need to replace all your EOL resistors.
Why would I need to replace them?
It depends. If they were just in the can, just forget about them and throw them away. If they are at the end point (by the sensors), then they do need to be changed to 2.2K if they aren't already. If they are at the endpoint (not likely, most installers are lazy and put them in the panel) and they are hard or impossible to get to, I believe you can put another one in line to bring it to 2.2k. Not optimal, but more easily doable if needed.

Back