ELK Flush Keypad

Hope it is not too late to add my sqeak!!!!

Was going to buy 2 of these to add to my system (and provide feedback to my HAVC dampers.....

No temp sensor is a big let down! Seems like a lot of functions are missing for such a minimal price difference. I was hoping the new keypads were designed to create a cleaner looking keypad (flush mount) and not a way to cut cost by removing a bunch of features.

The Pod

I think Spanky heard us loud and clear. I am sure this will be brought up at their next engineering meeting since I heard that they really listen to what is discussed here. That is more than most other mfg's. do I feel. Remember to that Spanky does a lot of this on his own time (he loves this stuff).

Give it a little time and maybe they will be able to address this for us. I think (know) there intent is to make the customers happy whenever possible.

I read in another thread that they are changing their firmware to add more users and a few other things and at the same time free up code space for future enhancements. That is what makes this system and ELK the best. They are taking care of past and present customers. When the new features come out they are just a flash away for us. I dont know of any other system that does that (there may be). So even though they are a little more money then some other systems (or less in one or two cases) you get a lot for the money. All of that development of features costs a lot of money.

I work for an alarm mfg. now myself and I can have any new panel I want that they make. I dont think anything will come close to what I have so I am not giving up my ELK. Granted where I work is aiming at a different market who would never pay for the features we have. They do extremely well in the market that they are targeting. Every mfg has its place in the industry and ELK's is in the the high end DIY and high end Security/Automation.

That was very well said Digger.

Spanky, please know that we really do appreaciate you hearing us!!!!!

toymaster458 said:
-----------------------------------------------------------
KP1: Large, Easy to Read Characters LCD Display Back lighted with Adjustable Intensity

KP2: Blue/white Backlighted Hi-Contrast LCD Display
KP1: Built-in Speaker with Adjustable Beep Tone and Volume

KP2: Built-in Piezo Sounder with adjustable pitch
KP1: Current Draw: 40 - 50 mA Idle (low back light level, sounder silent) 160 mA Fully Active (max. back light & sounder active)

KP2: Current Draw: 40 - 50 mA Idle (low back light level, sounder silent) 160 mA Fully Active (max. back light & sounder active)
Is the KP2 display brightness adjustable or not?
Is the KP2 adjustable volume or not?

So I see I was the only one expecting the two new alternatives to the KP1 to broaden the Elk's keypad price range on both directions.

The KP1 is not in the low range for a keypad, so I assumed one of the new keypads would be much better (finally, the touchscreen keypad/controller) and another one would be a simpler version to control my alarm from my bedroom.

The problem that I see with KP2 is that it is too pretty and everybody wants it to be the new premium (read high functionality) keypad. The other problem is that it is basically in the same price range as the KP1 - I was expecting something in the 80-90 price range.

So Spanky, your team did a great you in the industrial design of KP2. Its kind of the iPod keypad. Congratulations for that. For me, I'll probably wait for the arming station for a lower price solution. And dont worry. You can probably program something so that people can see external temp sensors readings in the keypad and everybody will be happy. :(

I am still looking for the other butt cheek that was chewed off in this thread.

You guys are passionate about your keypad temperature sensors. Your comments will be brought up in the Monday morning engineering meeting.

For now, remember there is a remote temperature sensor/probe that can connect to zones 1 - 16 on the M1 and be displayed on the KP2 LCD.

It is discussions like this that helps us make the products you want.
Thanks. :(

Spanky @ Jun 18 2006 said:
I am sorry if I took a larger bite then I should have and will send it back as soon as I crap it out. :(

Spanky @ Jun 18 2006 said:
For now, remember there is a remote temperature sensor/probe that can connect to zones 1 - 16 on the M1 and be displayed on the KP2 LCD.
This is an option but not an economical one. If I took the KP1 with an Internal prox and compared it to a KP2 with the recessed kit, External Prox and External Temperature Probe the price would be about 45 bucks more not counting the extra cables that would have to be installed if I am using the Data Bus Hub or want a speaker.

Spanky said:

You guys are passionate about your keypad temperature sensors. Your comments will be brought up in the Monday morning engineering meeting.

Thanks. :)
Any response?

ellisr63 said:
Spanky said:

Thanks. :)
Any response?
Can you use the AprilAire temp- sensors and read the display on the KP@ keypad? The reason I ask is the AprilAire temp sensor is much smaller and fits flush with a little drilling for mounting.

I am just excited that ELK has a flush mount keypad coming out soon.
The Wife factor has a big role in allowing me to replace my HAI with ELK.

Thansk
JBDWW

Here is some what of an update for everyone

They are still working on the Temp Sensor issue and are unsure at this time if an external temp sensor can be attached to the KP2's that will be shipping. For any new installs of keypad locations I would highly recommend running 2 Cat5e cables to any keypad locations.

3-Pair for Keypad (if using the M1DBH or 2-Pair if using the M1DBHR)
1-Pair for Speaker
2-Pair for Temp Sensor

Spanky said:
There is a location in the back of the surface or recessed back box on the KP2 for a new speaker that Output 1 on the M1 can connect to.

This new speaker is a 32 ohm 10 - 15 watt and sounds very good. The nice thing about 32 ohm speakers is that you can wire 8 of them in parallel for a 4 ohm load, they draw a small amount of current, and make very little heat thus difficult to blow out.
Has this speaker Spanky mentioned been released? I did not see it in the list of optional items for the keypad.

CT

Spanky said:
There is a location in the back of the surface or recessed back box on the KP2 for a new speaker that Output 1 on the M1 can connect to. We found out today that the ELK external Prox Reader will also fit in the back of the recessed backbox along with the new speaker. There is about a 3 inch read range on the Prox cards from the front of the KP2.

This new speaker is a 32 ohm 10 - 15 watt and sounds very good. The nice thing about 32 ohm speakers is that you can wire 8 of them in parallel for a 4 ohm load, they draw a small amount of current, and make very little heat thus difficult to blow out.
Hmm, was this the external prox reader, or the internal prox reader that fits in the back of the recessed box? It is the internal one, right?

EDIT: After looking more it seems like the proper one is: http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php...&cat=124&page=4

rather than:
http://www.automatedoutlet.com/product.php...66&cat=0&page=1

Back