Elk M1 Email Capabilities or lack there of

I don't have an Elk-M1, but I've worked out a solution found here: [snip]

If you are willing to go outside the M1, another way (which is no more unusual than etc's) is to leverage an external hosting site that supports email origination. I use this for all sorts of things -- alerts, notices, warnings etc. The PHP "mail" command is about as simple as it gets and avoids the complication of an email client.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I haven't had the time to sniff the problem yet. I don't even own a hub, just a few switches...

I am thinking that another email provider is going to be the best route for now. I have considered a PC based solution but I am still trying to work within the "No PC" home automation mentality. So far the M1 has worked, except for the email issues.

I gave up trying to subvert AT&T DSL. Gmail was a no go due to SSL. I have been using MailHop Outbound for $20/yr. The XEP email is a backup to NextAlarm's text/email notification features. The NextAlarm emails are extremely reliable and delivery is always timely. In small number of cases, the XEP emails are delayed. I haven't setup WireShark to figure out what's going on with delivery because problem is so rare.

I had problems all the time with mine... it was a nightmare to set up and test/confirm things were working - then it'd work for two months then just stop... then 4 months later they'd start magically sending again. It was enough to really aggravate me - and as much as I love my Elk - I can't wait for them to release a new board that has ethernet built in, and a lot more emphasis on it being reliable and more feature-rich. Dynamic emails are an absolute requirement too!

I haven't had the time to sniff the problem yet. I don't even own a hub, just a few switches...

I am thinking that another email provider is going to be the best route for now. I have considered a PC based solution but I am still trying to work within the "No PC" home automation mentality. So far the M1 has worked, except for the email issues.
I got around this by converting a Linksys wireless router into a HA appliance (OpenWRT, etc.). If you are brave, you could try something like that ;)

I got around this by converting a Linksys wireless router into a HA appliance (OpenWRT, etc.). If you are brave, you could try something like that :horse:

I actually am running Tomato already. I just haven't taken the time to figure out how to get the add ons in the box. Honestly, I have been busier now than I have ever been with work and home projects and haven't had much time to tinker yet. If anyone has a link for running tomato with stunnel please feel free to post it.

Thx...

I had problems all the time with mine... it was a nightmare to set up and test/confirm things were working - then it'd work for two months then just stop... then 4 months later they'd start magically sending again. It was enough to really aggravate me - and as much as I love my Elk - I can't wait for them to release a new board that has ethernet built in, and a lot more emphasis on it being reliable and more feature-rich. Dynamic emails are an absolute requirement too!

Have you or anyone else heard any rumors or rumblings about an Elk M1G product update, or follow-on product that has what you mentioned above--ethernet built-in to main board, among other things?

Crisco

Elk lets less information out than Apple... we won't know what's actually coming out until it comes out. And they won't give any indication as to timing (and don't have an annual track-record like Apple does).

Apparently there is a problem with Verizon FIOS and email issues with the M1XEP. Speaking with Elk today and they wouldn't say what but there is an issue.

For less than a couple hundred bucks I think Elk could set up a free mail server for registered clients that we could use :)

I just bought M1XEP and
got same issue, email just doesnt work. Time server, Dynamic DNS works.
I tried
smtpout.secureserver.net ports:25, 60, 587, 3535(GoDaddy)
smtp.aol.com ports:25, 587
smtp.live.com port:25

All those accounts was tested in Outlook and works.

Using m1xep doesnt work. Nothing in Log. Sometime i see 1383=ENTERNET TROUBLE and next 1384 = ETHERNET RESTORE
when using IP instead URL.

My provider (TimeWarner) is not blocking any ports
Anyone have any other suggestion?

The trouble and resotre could be the XEP rebooting due to issues with DNS servers per Elk tech support. Try using your providers DNS or use googles open DNS servers.
8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

I put those, but what is interesting, no matter what IPs i put under DNS, every time i click Receive(after Save and reboot, Save account) im getting
0.0.0.0 in those fields. But DNS work for sure, since it resolve Dynamic DNS and TIme server URLs

I dont have the configuration utility in front of me, but dont you have to save the setup to the M1 controller?

Back