Existing Alarm & Automation Options

TaterTot;

What you are wanting is not easy as there is no 'one' solution.  Most of us here have spent months, if not years perfecting and integrating disparate systems together to work as one solution, each of us doing it different ways (as there are many options as you have found out).

Keep in mind you are benefiting from the experienced results of these efforts; and, though the information may seem confusing at first, it is actually helping you from starting from scratch.

You guys are awesome here. :pray: Thanks for the support.

I am going to spend most of my free time this weekend trying to research and make a final decision before next week.

I know for sure that I am going the DIY route, but I just have to decide how far I want to take it...

I have almost decided to go the Vera route, but I was looking at pricing some Z-Wave Light Switches and was amazed on how expensive this stuff is...

I was looking at the Vizia light switches and those things are $90 a piece :eek:

I have roughly 60 or so so light/fan switches in my house... that is $5,400 in just switches...

What am I doing wrong here?? I need light switches that support "beaming" for the Z-Wave Door Locks and I hate to replace some of the light switches and not others. :wacko:

Is there a limit on how many Z-Wave devices the Vera can support?

I might have to go a while without messing with lighting (which was my original plan anyway...)

I went slow with the installation of my in wall switches.  It was a DIY initially purchasing a small batch of 4-5 switches then finding the time to install them.  Originally here it was all of the exterior lighting.  It really wasn't much at 6 switches.  The concern and much more work at the time was removal of single to double gang mudplate covers replacing those with double gang mudplate convers.

I did have to do some drywall work and did so while repainting etc.  Doing this and electrical provided me with some self satisfication of the DIY.  Others prefer to do the whole changeover using an electrician.  It would be more more monetarily sound to do more switches at one shot but it would also add to your iniatial costing efforts; switches and labor involved.

Here been playing with stuff like this since the late 70's. (5 houses?)

Start slowly; baby steps.   

If you really want to go z-wave route, there are less expensive switches. For example, Evolve devices all support beaming and are relatively inexpensive.

picta said:
If you really want to go z-wave route, there are less expensive switches. For example, Evolve devices all support beaming and are relatively inexpensive.
Do you use this brand?  If so, how is it working out for you with quality, range, reporting status and all?

I had to extend my z-wave network that I use to connect to z-wave locks, so I got a few Evolve devices: a switch, an outlet and a lamp dimmer. My original network is based on Leviton, so I had enrolled the devices using Installer tool. The devices showed up in the tool and I could control on and off, but the rest of the functionality of the installer tool did not work. However, the devices seem to perform well in the network and they report status when operated locally. The devices are spaced by no more than 20 ft line of site. I still cannot figure out how to change the LED light mode on the outlet, it seems like I will have to get an Evolve controller to do that.

A zwave network will start to get unstable at around 150-200 devices.  So 60 should be fine.  But, you probably don't need to automate everything.  I only put Z-wave capable switches in where they are used regularly (living room, kitchen, bathroom fan/lights, outdoor lights, garage lights, basement lights, etc).  It would cost a fortune to do all of them.

I've been buying the GE switches that are branded for the Lowes home automation system.  I forgot what it's called, but they are just standard GE Zwave switches, and it's cheaper buying them that way than ordering them online.

A GE dimmer is like $40 at Lowes.  An on/off switch is $45, but comes with a second 3-way switch module.  Those modules can be used with the dimmers also.  Essentially, you're paying $5 for the 3-way module.  With Evolve, switches are $50 each, and the 3-way modules are another $50 each.  I've got some 4 and 5 way switch setups in my house, so the evolve stuff would have cost a fortune.

signal15 said:
A zwave network will start to get unstable at around 150-200 devices.  So 60 should be fine.  But, you probably don't need to automate everything.  I only put Z-wave capable switches in where they are used regularly (living room, kitchen, bathroom fan/lights, outdoor lights, garage lights, basement lights, etc).  It would cost a fortune to do all of them.

I've been buying the GE switches that are branded for the Lowes home automation system.  I forgot what it's called, but they are just standard GE Zwave switches, and it's cheaper buying them that way than ordering them online.

A GE dimmer is like $40 at Lowes.  An on/off switch is $45, but comes with a second 3-way switch module.  Those modules can be used with the dimmers also.  Essentially, you're paying $5 for the 3-way module.  With Evolve, switches are $50 each, and the 3-way modules are another $50 each.  I've got some 4 and 5 way switch setups in my house, so the evolve stuff would have cost a fortune.

Are these the GE 3 way switches you are talking about at Lowes?

Actually here is the line of GE Z-Wave stuff at Lowes.

signal15 said:
Nope, these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_339578-1353-45639_0__?Ntt=iris+dimmer&UserSearch=iris+dimmer&productId=3707738&rpp=32

They are exactly the same as the GE packaged ones, except they are cheaper.

If that is the case then I am guessing these are the same as the GE 45605... which is cheaper as well.... Nice find! :rockon:

ETA: I spoke too soon... :wacko: Out of the 5 Lowes that are within reasonable driving distance, none of them have any of the "Iris" stuff (switches or outlets)...

I am very interested what solutions you found. Have you already decided yourself? I have similar problems like you, want to build a reliable but cheap system and using it by android tablet and android phones and also want to keep the existing security system I have. It is harder for me that I want to build it in Europe and there are less choice of devices. I was thinking of veralite and not to change all the switches I thought to put fibaro relay switches everywhere. So if you are ready please tell us what solutions and what devices and softwares you used to build your own. THX

Flipsy said:
I am very interested what solutions you found. Have you already decided yourself? I have similar problems like you, want to build a reliable but cheap system and using it by android tablet and android phones and also want to keep the existing security system I have. It is harder for me that I want to build it in Europe and there are less choice of devices. I was thinking of veralite and not to change all the switches I thought to put fibaro relay switches everywhere. So if you are ready please tell us what solutions and what devices and softwares you used to build your own. THX

I ended up going the NX-584 and Vera route.... I thought that if I decided I was really into the home automation scene, I could easily sale the Vera unit and "upgrade" my existing alarm.

I am using my existing original keypad, but in the bedroom I am mounting a semi-permanent Android tablet that will function as my additional keypad (also gives me a place to view my cameras). As a software programmer, the challenges/complaints that most people have regarding Vera (mostly having to write luup code) does not really bother me....

So far, I just have a couple of thermostats and a couple of light switches/receptacles (and my alarm) but I really like the Vera. I even extended my internal Z-Wave antenna so that I get some awesome range on that little thing.

All in all, I have spent $55 (NX-584) and $180 (Vera Lite) = $235 on stuff that I may have to get rid of if I decide to go really hard-core into the home automation stuff.... IMO that was a lot better than spending $800 just to "test the waters"...

Back