Frustrated with home automation software

Yeah, even my GPS gets me a little creeped out from time to time. Every so often while talking we will say words that sound like our personal trigger and the GPS will pop up with a response screen. This makes you realise that this thing is listening to every word with a CPU dedicated to snooping in on our conversations. At least I know the GPS  isn't sending our love making session noises to a google database somewhere "just for marketing purposes".

Is the Echo fairly similar to the Google wrist watch concept?  Seems like you'd need a lot of Echo's to get equivalent coverage.

That's what I was thinking at first glance except I can see Google Watch understanding better with closer lip service blocking out more background noise.

OTOH the watch needs a connected cell phone nearby to do anything,

Well, I did the deed.  I just purchased CQC.

I started this thread totally frustrated with where to go from Elve.  I appreciate all of the response I got and the suggestions and comments.  I appreciate Dean Roddey jumping into the thread, and Mark from Homeseer contacting me privately.  I was able to give both pieces of software a lot of examination.  In the end, CQC was most like the Elve that I am accustomed to and I felt best offered the approach I was comfortable with.

Frankly, I almost didn't try CQC due to my perception that it had too difficult a learning curve for my skill level.  I learned that it is much like Elve in that regard, just more opportunities within.  I also learned I could handle it.  The other thing I came to realize is that after using Elve, anything less in concept would be very unsatisfying for me.  Home automation isn't just something that runs in the background for me, it's part of my entertainment.

I really like the feel of CQC.  When things go in place, they seem to remain solidly there.  It seems to be extremely well mannered in operation.  I like the way that when I cut and paste an IR code into the window, it is instantly converted to the proper code for my GC-100.  I don't have to do this separately.  At least that's what happened when I copied it from the Cambridge Audio web site and pasted it in.

The GUI Editor works very nice.  Elve's was very good, CQC's is better.  Good manners once again.  The Overlays (containers) within Overlays is very stable which sort of surprises me.  An example of the difference, in Elve if the screen to be pasted into the Overlay was not the right size, something could go wrong.  With CQC it simply resizes it so all stays happy.

So, the end of this thread is that I ended up with my frustrations satisfied and some excitement ahead.  Thanks to those who contributed commentary and advice.  I sort of like having CQC listed in my profile. :)

EDIT:  One thing I neglected to mention was that one of the fears I had about CQC was having to write programming and script.  When I got into it, I was surprised to learn that there isn't any.  It's all multiple choice.  Had it required scripting skills, I wouldn't be using it.  I suspect there is a place for script for those who use it, but I won't be going there.

lol... as the forum's sole "black sheep" HCA user, I couldn't be more happy.  Other long time members here will no doubt roll their collective eyes as I once again launch my (now obligatory of course) "how great HCA is" tirade :)

The latest version brought z-wave support as well as an advanced programming interface that will allow me to add a Hue  bridge and Nest thermostats (I won't do this until those idiots add remote sensor support however).  Here's my custom weather panel for our Android consoles shown in design mode:

Capture-vi.png

HCA is building this composite image from a local weather underground station, pulling radar data from the wunderground national radar service, and also using METAR data at Mitchell field for cloud cover data.  Trending data is also captured/shown.  In the image, the little red thermometer next to the temperature shows that it's getting warmer outside.  When this display is active on any HCA client, it auto refreshes every 10 minutes.

Of course HCA has full iPhone and Android clients.  I use the excellent Android tablet app for HCA consoles located around the house.

Here's how you program HCA (click images below for full size):

Capture1.png

As can be seen, you don't have to be a programming guru to use this.  The macro above is triggered by a motion sensor in the laundry room.  It turns the laundry room light on if its off, sets a flag named "laundry room occupied", then delays for 1 minute.  At the end of the delay, it turns the laundry room light off if it is still on (minimizes PIM activity).  If the sewing room and furnace room aren't occupied, also it turns off the cellar hallway/stair lights.  Subsequent triggers simply restart the macro.

Of course, if you are a programming guru then HCA has you covered there as well.  Here's a bit of the weather display macro:

Capture.png

those little boxes with "01010" are actually custom scripting elements that work directly with the full HCA api.  The "open scroll" element on the right side launches an external powershell script that gets current weather data from the local weather underground site.

Looks like I'm going to have to get those yard leaves raked up while the snow storm is still West of Madison.... 

Curious how quick it is to build your dynamic view?  You mention that it is a composite image.  Is it a JPG file?

Here for a few years now build a weather page which creates one JPG any size file. 

It includes embedded graphics, text, dynamic variables et al. 

Its built is based on one INI file which positions whatever in the final JPG image.  I update it every 5 minutes.  It is and is not an easy plug n play build though.  The actual build of the composite JPG image takes seconds. (its a static script with a dynamic configuration file - really just a text file).

I do FTP said image to my private on the internet web server which I can look at with any mobile device. 

weather.jpg

No Elk interface is the major downside (although with the improved communication API, I can now roll one myself).  I used HCA to do my own security instead.  I have pet immune sensors in the main living areas that activate when "house sleeping" is active.  They turn on all the lights in the triggered area, activate Webcams, flash the main bedroom lights and sent text alerts to our cellphones.

pete_c said:
Curious how quick it is to build your dynamic view?  You mention that it is a composite image.  Is it a JPG file?

Here for a few years now build a weather page which creates one JPG any size file. 

It includes embedded graphics, text, dynamic variables et al. 

Its built is based on one INI file which positions whatever in the final JPG image.  I update it every 5 minutes.  It is and is not an easy plug n play build though.  The actual build of the composite JPG image takes seconds.

I do FTP said image to my WAN web server which I can look at with any mobile device. 

Nothing built in (as the macro shows).  I actually use HCA to merge data with a dhtml weather page that I built separately.  To do this you add custom tags in the html that refer to HCA variables.  The merge process replaces those variables with real data.  HCA itself has HTML displays which allows you to have completely custom pages (I'll be building a CAM display itnf for instance).  Simply point the display to the URL to show it (not available on the iPhone app yet however).  The page is therefore completely dynamic and interacts in real time.  There are scroll arrows that you can see in the weather display.  Touching these zooms the radar view out or in.  Want to play with my weather display yourself?  Here it is:

http://fortressweather.theparadigmgrid.com

The snow is coming fast.... Time to get off my lazy butt, start the tractor, and get to those leaves.

Thank-you kwilcox.

Here been passing data from two weather cumulus servers (geographically the weather servers are in two homes). 

That said I can pass more than the weather data to the web servers on the internet.  Right now its just been multiple web pages plus the created JPG file uploaded every few minutes from the weather stations.  Weather stations upload data to my stuff (automation software at home and web servers on the internet), WUN and CWOP- APRS. 

Also goofing around download NOAA weather maps from NOAA satellites.  I still want to document this in a blog (haven't had much time lately).  Cheap and easy DIY these days.

I have not really changed the two weather station HTML pages since installation of the weather stations / software a few years back.

The weather software though does generate a dynamic data text file and talks xAP.  I utilize the text file to create automation weather station variables.

What a lively discussion that the OP started! I cannot resist to chime in. As a "veteran" HA enthusiast (15 years) I found that the best HA controller is the one that supports the devices you have or want to use. If you prefer z-wave, get the best z-wave controller, if you like Insteon, go with the ISY. There are very few controllers that support multiple technologies well, and CQC is one of them. I personally use hardware controllers with hard-wired connections for mostly everything: lights, security, shades, irrigation, ev sensors etc., and a software controller to tie all of these together and supplement with internet derived information and various UIs.

I am a long time HS user as it allowed me to write my own drivers for new devices and had an extensive list of 3d party plugins. I can tell you that the most difficult driver to implement is the one for a security system. IMO, the wired security panel is a must for HA, it does not have to be externally monitored, but it provides the most efficient way to engage multiple home sensors in reliable way. CQC supports HAI panels, which is a huge plus. It looks like HS 3 has someone working on HAI plugin, but it is a work in progress.

And one more thing: I confirm that z-wave generally sucks, and Leviton controller is best to be used with Leviton devices. But it's the only one I know that has a serial interface. I only use it with my locks, and I am currently looking into replacing those with zigbee.

I would like see some of these software programs support the Lutron smart bridge pro so you can use the new Caseta switches and dimmers, I had Radio Ra but dropped it when I switched to LED lighting, the Caseta stuff is price competitive with Z-wave and Insteon and the Smart Bridge Pro allows third party integration.

Yup; here use the Leviton combination security panel as a multiprotcol automation controller (X10, UPB, Z-Wave and want to add Zigbee) and software today (Homeseer). 

The software though while it speak Z-Wave, X-10, Insteon and UPB also talks to some 20 or so other pieces of hardware (via serial or USB or Network) which all talk to each and more (that is me).

I like the idea though of a multi wireless automation controller than speaks (Z-Wave, Zigbee, Lutron, and whatever is new wireless automation).  RF is RF to me.

The software allows me to interact with the panel and more play automation hardware (well just about any automation hardware).

Software to hardware today is one USB cable to one 7 port Digi Hub to 2 Digi 8 port edgeports and 5 USB devices on two boxes plus 3 4 port serial Quatech boxes, Digi USB Anywhere and Lantronics USB to network boxes.

Waynedb said:
I would like see some of these software programs support the Lutron smart bridge pro so you can use the new Caseta switches and dimmers, I had Radio Ra but dropped it when I switched to LED lighting, the Caseta stuff is price competitive with Z-wave and Insteon and the Smart Bridge Pro allows third party integration.

The 3d party integration is via cloud, so the most likely "software" will end up being an app.

Back