Is Charmed Quark gone?

George M

I haven't checked in on CQC for a couple of months. I have had CQC running for over 20 years. I know Dean had to quit development for it a while ago. Now it looks like the web sight is gone as well. Is there anywhere that the "old crew" hang out now? I am thinking of migrating to Home Assistant and was looking for some advice.

Well, Dean Roddey open sourced his system. Doesn't look like really any activity occured after that point.

But as you, I cannot access any of the prior commercial websites for CQC, I suspect that alas it's dead in terms of development.

What's telling is that in that three year old thread on Reddit, you have the owner responding to what was the reason to move to open source?
"Complete failure on the business front? :)"

I'd not like to speak for Dean, but without further communication, one can only assume that CQC support will only come from fellow enthusiasts rather than the developer.

I haven't checked in on CQC for a couple of months. I have had CQC running for over 20 years. I know Dean had to quit development for it a while ago. Now it looks like the web sight is gone as well. Is there anywhere that the "old crew" hang out now? I am thinking of migrating to Home Assistant and was looking for some advice.
The "hang out" was the CQC forums and here AFAIK.

I ran CQC for a number of years and migrated to Home Assistant. I even wrote a few integrations (forget what they were called exactly) for CQC.

The "hang out" was the CQC forums and here AFAIK.

I ran CQC for a number of years and migrated to Home Assistant. I even wrote a few integrations (forget what they were called exactly) for CQC.
That's where I am now. My problem is that many of my devices are older and serial based (W800rf32, usb-uirt, Networx Alarm). I am running into a wall getting them into HA. Can you give me any pointer on how you did it? I've read many how to's but they don't seem to work.

I noticed the site was down as well. Hopefully it is simply an oversight on Dean's part, but I am worried that it is a "cost" issue. If the information on the forum was lost, that is really going to put a damper on anyone trying to use it. I realize the "growth" of CQC is zero, but there are likely still a lot of people like myself that still use it.

I sent Dean a DM here as well as sent an email to him to his to see if it's something that can be brought back or not. Hopefully he will respond.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that, but it is understandable. I must say I have never used a piece of software that was better supported than CQC.

That's where I am now. My problem is that many of my devices are older and serial based (W800rf32, usb-uirt, Networx Alarm). I am running into a wall getting them into HA. Can you give me any pointer on how you did it? I've read many how to's but they don't seem to work.
Did some looking as I use Home Assistant now as well.

Networx - https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/nx584/

W800RF32 - https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/w800rf32/

Any details on the USB-UIRT?

Hopefully the two integrations I found helped. There are currently over 2000 integrations in HA and growing almost daily.

In addition to those "official" integrations, there's also HACS - the third party home assistant community store. Not officially supported by HA, but great source of additional integrations https://hacs.xyz/

Glad you guys posted and got an answer on CQC's forum fate, even if it's bad news. I still visited often and posted even earlier this year. I figured this would happen one day.

I'm just trying to add some Shelly devices via MQTT and am really missing the forums for info on how to... and I am user since 2006-ish so lots of experience but have forgotten so many specifics. There's a bunch of user created drivers on the forum that will be gone for good now too sadly. Is there a CQC is gone emotional support forum anywhere ;-) LOL

I always thought I would move to HA if/when I was forced to. I honestly haven't looked at it closely however. I am shocked to hear they don't support USB-UIRT. Hopefully there is some sort of IR remote control support. Otherwise that may be a deal breaker. I use the Harmony Hub (which seems to be supported), but still have some devices controlled over IR.

Did some looking as I use Home Assistant now as well.

Networx - https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/nx584/

W800RF32 - https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/w800rf32/

Any details on the USB-UIRT?

Hopefully the two integrations I found helped. There are currently over 2000 integrations in HA and growing almost daily.

In addition to those "official" integrations, there's also HACS - the third party home assistant community store. Not officially supported by HA, but great source of additional integrations https://hacs.xyz/
Thanks
I had found both of those but being a newby have not gotten them to work yet.
For the Networx, it requires an app called pynx584. I cannot get it to stay installed. If I restart HA then I have to restart it again. So when I do have it installed I can connect to the serial port with minicam and get a response. But I do not see how to get that info into HA. I do have the pertinent info in the configuration.yaml file.

The same goes for the W800rf32, I can see it connected via minicom but do not see any responses when I press a button (i use hard button devices like palm pad).

So I thing because I am so new to this, my biggest problem is getting my serial devices integrated and learning how to get apps to be persistent.

One huge difference I find between HA and CQC is that the help from the users was so much better on CQC. For those who need hand holding to get going (aka me) I find the help lacking on the HA forum.

I still utilize the W800rf32 device in HS (running HS and HA on same computer here).

Guessing you have it connect to a USB to serial device where as it should look like "/dev/ttyUSBX" and you have it configured as such

# Example configuration.yaml entryw800rf32: device: PATH_TO_DEVICE

Code:
# Example configuration.yaml entry
w800rf32:
  device: /dev/ttyUSBX

X typically is zero if it is the first usb to serial device.

How many serial devices are you using and how do you have them connected?

Here still utilize Digi Edgeports. SSH and Studio Code server to edit files in HA.

Last edited:
I still utilize the W800rf32 device in HS (running HS and HA on same computer here).

Guessing you have it connect to a USB to serial device where as it should look like "/dev/ttyUSBX" and you have it configured as such

# Example configuration.yaml entryw800rf32: device: PATH_TO_DEVICE

Code:
# Example configuration.yaml entry
w800rf32:
  device: /dev/ttyUSBX

X typically is zero if it is the first usb to serial device.

How many serial devices are you using and how do you have them connected?

Here still utilize Digi Edgeports. SSH and Studio Code server to edit files in HA.
Hi Pete,
Yes, i am using a 4 port serial to usb. They are USB0 through USB3. I have the configuration.yawl exactly as you have noted.

Once you have configured / edited the configuration.yaml file you reboot / restart HA ......

"development tools" ==> check and restart

first check and if you see no errors then restart.

Then after restart go to settings==> devices and services ==> add integration ==> WGL Designs W800

This will only work if you have your w800 configured in the configuration.yaml file.

Restart again ==> click on the WGL integration icon and you will see a page with all of your devices or configuration of devices.

References are here:

WGL Designs W800RF32

Last edited:
Back