Geeks.com P4 for $219

These are great PC's. Last time something like these came around I ordered 3. 2 for the kids and one for me as a weather server. This one is expandable which makes it even a better deal.

Rupp, I was tempted to get more than one myself, but given all the money I'm spending already on getting the house safe & secure for the wife & kids while I'm gone, I decided to hold off.

BTW - I'll let you know about those controllers we discussed as soon as I finish wading through all the boxes in my garage....

This is a really good price. However, I am not ready to purchase my HA pc's yet, so I will have to hope this comes around again!

jrfuda said:
Rupp, I was tempted to get more than one myself, but given all the money I'm spending already on getting the house safe & secure for the wife & kids while I'm gone, I decided to hold off.

BTW - I'll let you know about those controllers we discussed as soon as I finish wading through all the boxes in my garage....
No hurry John. Whenever your ready.

I see that it comes with win xp installed, but no CD. What do you guys do in case of a crash? Would a product like Norton ghost work as a means to restore the system? ( I already own Norton ghost 10.0, not installed yet)

I use Acronis True Image and have used it TWICE to restore my ViewPad 2000, which doesn't even have a CD drive, using a USB HDD.

The machines do not come with an XP disk but they do come with a legal license so I use a disk that came with another PC.

jrfuda said:
I use Acronis True Image and have used it TWICE to restore my ViewPad 2000, which doesn't even have a CD drive, using a USB HDD.
Norton and Acronis work great unless you are like me and take harware failures as an opportunity to upgrade.

My last failure was an IDE harddrive which I upgraded to an SATA which in turn prevented me from doing a restore onto it as windows did not have the correct drivers or something like that.

The time before that it was a motherboard in which I replaced with the same model but it fried fast too. I was using raid0 which was built into the motherboard so when I then upgraded the motherboard to a non raid0 one and a new cpu, I restored my harddrive and of course it wouldn't boot since it didn't have the drivers for some essential parts of the motherboard/cpu

So now I do a full hard drive a couple times a year just in case, and then I back up my data drive once a week.

While the Geeks system is refurbished it's made of better components I'm sure, it's smaller, and come with XP Pro rather than home. The size is what entices me.

Mine came in on Wednesday. It's a great little machine.

Setup was a breeze - It has XP Pro preinstalled and looks like it was a fresh install, prompting me for registration, user and network settings on first boot. It looks like there's a backup install of the OS on a hidden partition of the HDD which can be accessed via the BIOS on boot by pressing F11. So that's good for recovery unless the HDD goes kaput!

I also need to pop it open to see if there's room for another HDD, which I'd use for local storage of motion images/video from my cameras. If not, Geeks has a NAS enclosure on sale for $45 ( http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DX...weetSavingsmain )

So, the first major component of my camera server is in place.

I'm tempted to buy 1-2 more of these. Our "main" PC is still a PIII 800, but is used mostly for just email and photo editing (no CPU-intense fphotoshop filters) so it's the oldest machines in the house. My HS machine is an Athlon XP 2600+ with 1GB RAM, but this little P4 seems more responsive.

Maybe I'll buy one to put in the au pair's room, to keep her entertained off duty...

Mine came in on Tuesday. What's your screen look like? That mobo vidcard is god awful ugly. I'm going to crack open the case to see if it's low-profile only, and whether my ATI 9800 Pro or ATI 9600 or ATI 9000 would fit. [got lots of cards laying around :) ]

I'm also thinking about pulling the floppy disk and putting an HD in there.

Finally, how loud does yours get? I noticed that when the fan gets going, it's DANG loud.

IVB said:
..What's your screen look like? That mobo vidcard is god awful ugly. I'm going to crack open the case to see if it's low-profile only...

I'm also thinking about pulling the floppy disk and putting an HD in there.

Finally, how loud does yours get? I noticed that when the fan gets going, it's DANG loud.
My screen looks fine. I have it at 1024x768x85Hertz, 32bit and it's sharing a monitor with another PC via KVM. I have not tried cranking up the res to see what it's capable of, though. It's running to a CRT monitor, so if you're using LCD with its VGA output, your pic may not do so well since LCDs prefer DVI.

That's a good idea... if there's no room for a HDD inside, pull the FDD and put one there... As a matter of fact, I could do that with a hotswap drive, so if I ever need any of the footage stored on the drive (since this is a camera server) It'll be easy to access.

I'm pretty sure it'll only take 1/2-height cards, especially given that most graphic cards today are taller than full height (due to heat sinks/pipes etc.)

Mine is extremely quiet. I cannot hear it at all. Maybe yours has a bum fan in it.

I think mine may have been refurb'd due to a powersupply burnin-up or some other catastrophic failure. The reason I think this is becuase when I pulled it our of the box/plastic bag it came in, I could really smell ozone/smoke/melted plastic. I was actually afraid to plug it in at first, thinking it would start a fire. My guess is that a component in it prior to refurb burnt-up and was replaced with a new one. Maybe it was the PS, so my PS is brand-new giving me a quieter machine.

What kind of noise is yours making? Is it just loud fan noise? HDD noise? or something "grindy"? If it has an old fan, its bushing/bearing could be on its last leg resulting in a lot of noise... you'd think they'd of caught that during refurb, though.

By the way, despite the geeks site saying "may have scratches, broken bezels, etc.," mine was in pristine condition on the outside. Looked brand-new.

Back