• You've been granted Beta access to this site, allowing you to explore some of the new features while they're still under construction. More information can be found in the Beta forum.

HAI Dimmer Problem - HELP!

WireWig

OK - here is another for your guys. I have installed HAI dimmers all over my house and I have one that is behaving very strange. It is a 35A00-1 HAI 600W dimmer. It is set to control 7 X 65W in ceiling spots above my kitchen island. They are the main source of light in the kitchen and they used to be set up on a 3way, one switch on either side of the kitchen. I closed off the three way and used a black and white to install a scene controller that works perfect. However, the dimmer at the other location is the one in charge of the 7 X 65W bulbs. The dimmer works great for a few hours, but then it gets very hot and will not turn off. When I double tap the bottom rocker the lights dim to about 20% and then stay there. If I turn off the breaker to that switch, let it cool, then turn it back on the dimmer will behave normally, once again allowing me to turn off the lights. I have removed it from all programming on the network and it is a standalone unit. I did this to try to isolate the problem - to see if perhaps the program was messed up not allowing it to work properly. The problem is still happening. The only thing I can think of is that I need to go to a 1000W dimmer, but I am not sure. I should have enough with a 600W dimmer to cover 7 X65W bulbs. Any suggestions... :)

AutomatedOutlet

Yes, technically that should work since it's only 455 watts but there are a couple of other considerations.

Is this in a multi-gang box? If so, some de-rating might be needed.

Yes, you might only have 65 watt bulbs in there now but if a bulb goes, I'll bet you that the wife might throw a 75 or 100 watt bulb in there if that's what's handy....

What you are describing does sound like a load rating issue. I would probably just put in the 1000 watt bulb and re-deploy that 600 watt switch somewhere else.

Steve

AutomatedOutlet said:
I would probably just put in the 1000 watt bulb and re-deploy that 600 watt switch somewhere else.
lol, thats a big bulb! I agree, these dimmers never get near their stated limits without really heating up. That's one of the reasons I went with SAI switches as the 'standard' is 900W.

If you touch one of the screws on the plate it will probably also be VERY HOT which can be a hazard if touched. I would agree with Martin and replace that switch with 1000W. It may still be a bit warm, but will probably work alot better. If there are switches on both sides of it, you may need even more than 1000W for derating.