HAI Omni IIe panel not polling Zwave device status

nighthawk

I’m having an issue where my HAI Omni IIe panel can’t poll for the status of my newly installed Zwave devices (GE/Jasco switches/outlets and a Kwikset lock)
Here’s a quick synopsis of my current setup:
- Omni IIe – v3.12
- VCR0P+3 with latest firmware
- Vizia RF+ USB VRUSB-1US stick and 1.1.2.0 installer tool
- PC Dealer Access

The setup and install of the devices went smoothly with VRUSB/Installer tool but I cannot see any status from the panel when controlled manually from the switch.  I am able control the Zwave devices from the Vizia RF+ tool/USB stick AND could automate the Zwave devices from the HAI panel (via the VCR0P controller). ..just no status is reported back.

I’ve read most of information here in this forum and also reached out to Leviton for help.  Leviton support told me it’s an association problem with the devices since the latest VCR0P can poll for status. They wanted me to rediscovery the network, update the routes and then update the controller (from the installer tool). The rediscover works fine, but all my devices fail when trying to update the routes.  I’ve tried multiple times and they always fail.  As a last attempt, I deleted and recreated the network from scratch and I’m still having the same issues with when trying to update the routes.  Another interesting thing I noticed is that when I go into the Diagnostics/RS232 Setup – I cannot set or remove associations. I get the error “Failed setting the association on Foyer[23], Device location:” I see all my devices listed in the dialog box as RTS devices and the VRC0P is listed on the top as a RS232 module.

I’ve strictly followed all the HAI/Leviton instructions on adding these devices but I still experience the problem.  I just don’t want to keep tearing down and recreating the network every time to try another test run.

Any help would be appreciated!

From what I recall reading manual for Jasco devices, they do not report status when being operated locally. HAI panel does not poll devices other than the locks, and even that polling taxes the system and may hinder its performance. The "official" zwave devices supported by HAI are ViziaRF switches, and they do report status, so no need to poll them. You can implement your own polling in HAI by sending status request message, but should not send it too often for performance consideration.

A belated thank you for the information!  So my next question is - How would I setup my own polling from the HAI controller via PC Access to those Zwave devices?

You can only poll devices that support status, are you sure your switches can respond to the status request? Also, there is no "built-in" way to poll devices from HAI, you'll have to program sending status command for every device you want polled:

EVERY MINUTE
            THEN ZwaveSwitch REQUEST STATUS

picta said:
EVERY MINUTE
            THEN ZwaveSwitch REQUEST STATUS

I work with HAI almost everyday and did not know this.  Why haven't they gotten their act together and created a good integration guide together between Vizia and HAI?  It's a shame Leviton owns HAI and Lutron RadioRA2 integrates with HAI so much better.

The Vizia Zwave network I have been working on has about 58 devices.  It's performance is terrible and I wonder if adding 58 polling requests every minute will just make it worse?

From doing this on other platforms, the more polling traffic you put out there, the slower the response and latency can develop.

dgriffith said:
I work with HAI almost everyday and did not know this.  Why haven't they gotten their act together and created a good integration guide together between Vizia and HAI?  It's a shame Leviton owns HAI and Lutron RadioRA2 integrates with HAI so much better.

The Vizia Zwave network I have been working on has about 58 devices.  It's performance is terrible and I wonder if adding 58 polling requests every minute will just make it worse?

You do not have to poll Vizia RF switches, they transmit status when being operated locally. The OP has different brand switches that do not do that. However, given the wireless nature of z-wave, it may be wise to synch up the status during off hours, even for Vizia. And from my experience, the z-wave network performance is optimal for 20-40 devices, especially if you have locks. HAI is polling the locks every minute or so, that puts a strain on the network.

Back