Help with detached garage

SnyperBob

Hi everyone,

I have some questions on how to get my detached garage hooked into my Elk. I have come across a few other threads about detached garages and got some ideas.

Right now I have two cat5's running from my Elk M1G out to the garage that I can use. I don't have any expanders or keypad for out in the garage yet.

The last two days I spent a little time trying to get my garage hooked into my Elk panel. I installed a garage overhead door sensor and a sensor for the service (man) door as well. I put EOL resistors near both sensors. I hooked both of those sensors into 4 wires from one of my cat5 wires. I also ran a wire from the back of my garage door opener button that is inside the garage. That's the button that you press to raise and lower the overhead door. I hooked those two wires to another two wires in that same cat5 running to the garage.

So right now I am using one cat5 that goes from the Elk M1G to the detached garage. 6 of the 8 wires in that cat5 are in use. Two for the overhead door, two for the service door and two to control the garage opener.

I hooked the doors in at the Elk M1G and they work as expected. I hooked the opener wires into Output 3 on the M1G, using the N/O connection.

I programmed everything up and I can open/close the garage door via the Elk now, and the doors both report their status correctly.

Here's some questions I have:
Should I set up the detached garage as a separate zone?
I do not have a keypad out in the garage yet. I think I will have to have one so that I will be able to arm/disarm the garage separately?
Issue is, if the wife comes home and parks in the garage, the alarm system inside the house will go off if she doesn't disarm inside the house before the entry delay expires. Can I set a different delay if the garage door is opened or something?
This would seem less secure, I guess I should just get another keypad ASAP?

I have a Sears/Craftsman garage door opener system. it's about 3 years old, 1/2 horsepower, has the two laser safety sensors, and has the garage door button. I connected my two wires that run to the Elk directly to the garage door opener button. I understand that when Output 3 closes, it shorts those wires?

After using Output 3 a few times to raise/lower the door (testing), it appears I may have blown up my door opener button in the garage? Is has an LED that lights up along with the button on it. Neither seems to work now. But I can still open/close the door via the Output 3 on the Elk.

I programmed Output 3 to 'toggle' within ElkRP. Is this the correct setting for how I have it set up?
Does Output 3 put out any considerable 'power', that could potentially fry my door opener button? Like I said, my button is now dead, but I can still use Output3 that is connected to the wires in the button to still open/close the door.

Sorry for all the questions

Like i said, I think I may have fried my button. The LED no longer lights on it, and the button does not work. I can control the door opener via Output 3 still

I'm wondering, does anyone think this could damage my garage door open unit itself?

White wires go to the garage door unit, brown wires go to the Elk M1G Output 3, set to 'toggle' when activated.
087sized.jpg

Like I said, this works via the Elk, but now my button is dead. Will this eventually take out my garage door opener and how can I accomplish this and still keep my button inside the garage. I guess I have to go find another button. The wife is going to kill me, at least the wireless openers still work :)

I think the "toggle" command did it. I have my ELK turn the output on for one second. That mimics a button press.
Change the rule and give it a try.

Sonny

I have both of my garages set up as area 2. The larger garage (his), is further from the house, is really just a workshop, but has a keypad. The smaller garage (hers), is full of girly things, her car resides here, but no keypad (big mistake).
I lost a lot of tools awhile back, so I auto-arm area 2 every night. Works great except for the occasional night on the town when we come home with no thought at all about the alarm.

I've been looking at the threads on garage doors, (there's a bunch), but I haven't found my answer yet either.

I think the "toggle" command did it. I have my ELK turn the output on for one second. That mimics a button press.

Sonny

Hi Sonny,

Thanks for the post. Do you have your Output 3 connected to your garage door button like I did, or do you have Output 3 running directly to your overhead garage door opener (into the contacts where your button also connects), bypassing your door button?

Thanks

Sonny

Sonny,

I just changed Output 3 to turn on for 1 second (instead of 'toggle') and that fixed it. Now my button in the garage is working and I can control the door via my keypads. I seems as if toggle was locking up/over-riding my button in the garage or something.

Thanks for your suggestion

Yea, I believe the toggle was keeping the button shorted every other time you sent the command.

You can also do this via another remote control for those that don't have wires running to their garage door's button control, plus, if you burn it up, you are only out a remote (there is a How-To on CocoonTech with detailed instructions).

Is there a way that I can specify a different keypad chirp sound when my garage doors are opened?

Currently the house chirps are a high pitch and a low pitch. I want to set the garage to the opposite or something different so I can distinguish if someone is inside the house (get the crossbow) or inside the detached garage (detonate the c4)

Thanks

If you get keyfobs, you can program them to open the garage door AND disarm just the garage. Keep the garage door opener in your cars though, if you leave it out overnight and someone breaks into it and opens your garage, it will alert you by setting off the alarm. :) Don't keep the keyfobs in the car, and it's probably unwise to allow a keyfob to disarm your main house.

I have three garage doors, all have sensors and all have relay outputs from an expansion card. I programmed the ELK so that one of my function buttons will flash if any of the doors are open. Another rule, that fires when that function button is pressed, will "test" each door and send a "button press" to close only the violated door or doors. :D

I installed an Elk in my buddy's house and they have a problem with forgetting to close their (two) garage doors at night. I wanted to have them close on an 'armed stay' command (like I do), but they didn't want to do that.

Instead I used some dual colored LED's and installed them on a switch plate in their master bed and dining/family room area. They illuminate green when both doors are closed and red if any door is opened.

They love it as they can immediately see the status of their garage doors now.

I installed an Elk in my buddy's house and they have a problem with forgetting to close their (two) garage doors at night. I wanted to have them close on an 'armed stay' command (like I do), but they didn't want to do that.

Instead I used some dual colored LED's and installed them on a switch plate in their master bed and dining/family room area. They illuminate green when both doors are closed and red if any door is opened.

They love it as they can immediately see the status of their garage doors now.

Yeah I remember your pictures/post of that install you did (with the LEDs to indicate color status). I think I PMed you about it like a year ago, before I even bought my Elk. Just curious, did you ever track down your wiring diagram for how you set up those LEDs and connected them to the Elk panel? I would like to have something similar to that.

I programmed my keypads to light up a function key of the garage door is open. But the wife always wants the MBR keypad to not be illuminated because it keeps her awake at night or something. So I can only see if the garage door is open in the MBR if I press a key on the keypad to illuminate it. If I could set something up via an output that just uses a small LED to indicate status, rather than the HUGE brightly lit keypad, I think the wife would go for that.

Is there a way that I can specify a different keypad chirp sound when my garage doors are opened?

Currently the house chirps are a high pitch and a low pitch. I want to set the garage to the opposite or something different so I can distinguish if someone is inside the house (get the crossbow) or inside the detached garage (detonate the c4)

Thanks

Does anyone know if the above is possible? I think this feature would be handy at any time of the day. I would be able to tell when the wife gets home and opens the garage door because the chime would sound different, it would also assist the dog in knowing if someone is entering the house, or just the detached garage

If I could set something up via an output that just uses a small LED to indicate status, rather than the HUGE brightly lit keypad, I think the wife would go for that.

If your MBR keypad output is not being used, you can wire an LED to that. The load limit is 50ma.
A 2 volt LED in series with a 1k resistor will allow 10 ma, which is probably half of the max on the LED.
Add that output as a rule.
Done.

If you need more info on the wiring of the circuit, let me know.

Yea, Jensen Beach's idea would probably be best as you don't have to run any additional wiring from your relay outputs.

FYI though, I just used a voltage source and toggled it between the two LED's plus leads with the NC and NO outputs of a relay channel.

Back