Help with my Nokia 770

68sting

I bought one of these for my bedroom. I though the wife and I could grab it in the morning and play music using the itunes plugin in Homeseer. My problem is none ot the Itunes buttons work and the others are iffy. I can select them and get the little orange box around the button but can't get the little clock looking thing that comes up when its doing somthing. Most of the other buttons work fine most ot the time. This morning I selected "Events" and it worked fine. I tried it again a few minutes later and it wouldn't work. I got the little orange box around the button but couldn't get the little clock looking icon. I have had no problems on other websites other than the Homeseer web interface. Does anyone else have one of these with Homeseer?

I don't know about Homeseer but sometimes my 770 loses its network connection... I wonder if you are really connected when this happens as you don't get any kind of warning message about it losing connection...

Chris

I did think of that but the Itunes buttons should work some times then. The that could be the problem with the other buttons though.

What browser does the 770 use? It's highly likely that the iTunes plugin will not work with the browser in the 770. The iTunes plugin uses a ton of dynamic HTML which most mini browsers like PIE do not support.

also, be aware that some browser improvements were made in the OS2007HE, and even in the latest OS2006, so unless you're up-to-date with one of those, you will likely be experience more bugs then necessary

I picked one up as well. I couldn't refuse the price. I was unhappy to learn that I couldn't run ECS because this little puppy doesn't have JAVA, and it doesn't look like it supports it. Anyone have any suggestions?

It would be real nice to use it's touch screen to run my HA, but I don't really want to change from ECS to Homeseer or PowerHome to run my Insteon stuff. Maybe NetRemote and Girder? is anyone doing any of this with the 770?

Howard

Must have WAF or it's all for naught

Yeah, I picked one up also. The browser is Opera (I think ver 9) and also supports an older version of Flash. No Java support though, which is a bummer. I'm working on some web designs now, so hopefully I'll be able to do it all in HTML. My back end is PowerHome. If anyone has done something for the 770, I'd love to see some screen shots.

g

I've gotten one recently as well. I'm really liking it, but it is rather finicky at times. Here's what I've noticed. The use javascript setting on the browser seems to turn itself of for no apparent reason. Also the buttons on the Homeseer stat page work once, and then I need to refresh the page before the complimentary button will work. For example, from the status page, if I turn on my office lamp I cannot turn it off until I refresh the page. I suspect this is as Rupp mentioned a problem with the browser handling DHTML. If that is the case I suspect a page that didn't make use DHTML, but rather plain old HTML would work without problems.

The image of someone using CQC though the 770 was someone you was using RDesktop on the 770 to connect to a PC running Remote Desktop. This is really slick. I've installed RDesktop on my 770 and it works really well. I know Jay was using a VNC client on his to do something similar. At this point I'm personnaly leaning towards using RDesktop.

A few other thoughts I've had about the device. The newer version of the device, has a newer version of the OS. There is a mozilla based browser and an updated version of flash for it. This OS is not officially supported on the 770, but you can download the "hacker edition" of the OS for the 770, from Nokia. So it may be possible to upgrade the browser.

Anyway I'm still rebuilding/re-designing most of my HA computer infrastructure after some hardware issues left the previous incarnation too unstable. So I haven't gotten to try all of these theories tested yet. I'd love to hear others experiences.

Aaron

even with the new upgrade in OS, the guys at www.internettablettalk.com say that the browser and flash versions are not upgraded in the hacker edition. it looks like i'll need to wait for the n800 to be on woot :)

I like Rover on it a lot better than the regular HS web page. I still can't get the itunes stuff to work with Rover either though. Here's what the creator of Rover told me to do.

When I try using the itunes buttons in rover through my Nokia 770 I get these errors.

Rover Device action: Executed the Volume + function for the iTunes Volume at \2 from lance at 192.168.1.105
7/24/2007 8:24:24 PM Error Reading script: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer 2\scripts\iTunesVolume + Illegal characters in path.
7/24/2007 8:24:24 PM Error Running script: File not found: iTunesVolume +
10:48 PM

Hawthorn Thistleberry said...
As noted upthread, using / and \ for a unitcode is sure to cause problems when you're using smaller browsers like PIE that don't always handle escaping weird characters in URLs that well. Change the unitcode and it'll work fine. This isn't anything I can change: it's a matter of the browser's support for the URLs.

I just don't know how to change unitcodes. If I can figure out how to do that it might work for me.

I like Rover on it a lot better than the regular HS web page. I still can't get the itunes stuff to work with Rover either though. Here's what the creator of Rover told me to do.

When I try using the itunes buttons in rover through my Nokia 770 I get these errors.

Rover Device action: Executed the Volume + function for the iTunes Volume at \2 from lance at 192.168.1.105
7/24/2007 8:24:24 PM Error Reading script: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer 2\scripts\iTunesVolume + Illegal characters in path.
7/24/2007 8:24:24 PM Error Running script: File not found: iTunesVolume +
10:48 PM

Hawthorn Thistleberry said...
As noted upthread, using / and \ for a unitcode is sure to cause problems when you're using smaller browsers like PIE that don't always handle escaping weird characters in URLs that well. Change the unitcode and it'll work fine. This isn't anything I can change: it's a matter of the browser's support for the URLs.

I just don't know how to change unitcodes. If I can figure out how to do that it might work for me.
You need to change your house code for iTunes and add the \ to the IOCodesExclude ini file setting.
See http://homeseer.com/support/homeseer/WebHe...ni_settings.htm

If you have a 3rd party script or plug-in that cannot use some of the special characters used for plug-in device house codes, you can exclude them here. For example, if a plug-in does not like the "]" and "[" characters, you can set this to the value ],[

Multiple house code characters are separated by commas.

If you already have devices using these characters, you must delete those devices and then use the plug-in to re-create them after changing this value and restarting HomeSeer.

This is great info, Rupp... I wish I had seen this earlier. For plug-ins like the UPB and Elk plug-ins that dynamically create the devices at startup everytime, do I still need to go through the rigamarole of deleting them, or can I just shut down, edit the ini, and startup again?

This is great info, Rupp... I wish I had seen this earlier. For plug-ins like the UPB and Elk plug-ins that dynamically create the devices at startup everytime, do I still need to go through the rigamarole of deleting them, or can I just shut down, edit the ini, and startup again?
I believe you will need to delete all of your devices or the plugin wouldn't know to recreate the devices. Please backup before doing this because it will cause problems with existing events since the target devices are changing.

Back