I see the Neutral Wires Capped, what do I do?

And along the same lines, beware of MWBCs (multi wire branch circuits).  These are circuits where a common neutral is used for two hots, one on each leg.  If you don't shut off both breakers (they are supposed to be tied together now, but they may not be in older homes), you haven't killed the entire circuit.  And if you open up the common neutral splice on one of these while live ... POOF! The smoke escapes because you've dumped 240 into anything plugged in.

I am not an electrician, but based on picture, you still might want to pay an electrician to double check installation.
  1. The plastic box (is it plastic???) appears to be rather small. Most Z-Wave Manufacturer switch installation directions have a minimum size requirement for box.  The Z-Wave switches are deeper and need some ventilation room.
  2. By adding a neutral pig-tail wire, the box's fill size has increased. Since the box appears to be part of split circuit (2 hots, 1 neutral), the total number of wires might have pushed allowance outside limit.
I have replaced a good chunk of my metal switch boxes with deep, heavy-duty, plastic (blue boxes). This has been a pain, but it improves Z-Wave reception and avoids jamming switch into box.

d.dennerline said:
  1. By adding a neutral pig-tail wire, the box's fill size has increased. Since the box appears to be part of split circuit (2 hots, 1 neutral), the total number of wires might have pushed allowance outside limit.

I don't think that is true in the context of the NEC.

NEC Sectiion on box fill

Each conductor that originates outside the box and terminates or is spliced within the box shall be counted once, and each conductor that passes through the box without splice or termination shall be counted once. Each loop or coil of unbroken conductor not less than twice the minimum length required for free conductors in 300.14 shall be counted twice. The conductor fill shall be calculated using Table 314.16. A conductor, no part of which leaves the box, shall not be counted.  

Back