Inexpensive Touch screens

RelayTouch-UTMA does not use any local processing power (that is, what's behind the touch screen). It uses the power, peripherals, internet connection, etc. of a host computer located somewhere else on the network. If the host computer is running Windows XP, it can support up to 10 UTMA's. With Windows 2003 Server, up to 30 can be supported. Linux support is also available.

The long-term advantage of this approach is that as your needs change in terms of operating systems, software and processing power, the UTMA product does not have to change.

How are these lilliputs? Anyone using these? Would like to find out from someone who actually uses these.

regards,

lpott6 said:
MrGibbage said:
I was wondering if something like this or this would work.
Ebay does have a bunch of these if you search for "lcd pos touch screen", including screens up to 18 inches for under $300.  Anyone ever try to use one of these for HA applications?
Another option is the Fujitsu Stylistic, either the 3400 or the 3500.

Lots of them on ebay.

Larry in Denver
I was checking these out. One thing I noticed, the 3400 has a 400MHZ Pentium 3 but the 3500 has a 500 MHZ Celeron. Unless I'm missing something, the 3400 is the model to get then (P3 > Celeron) even with the higher clock speed (right?).

Any other considerations? I think I'm going to try one, I have only seen people here buying the 3400 (another consideration!) so far.

I looked into these. The only things to watch out are:

1. Which OS is preloaded as for someone like me doing a hack and a strip down version of XP etc etc was not an option as I would not have been able to achieve that. THe fujistus's don't have CDROM so it is not a simple setup.
2. The processor as some software would not run well unless you do RDP.

Also some models have the letter S and X next to the model number which specifies the resolution. For eg I believe S is 800X600 and X is 1024X800. i.e if I remember correctly.

regards,

MrGibbage said:
Steve, is your ELO flush mounted? Can you attach a picture of it?
Here is the link to my screen. I had a perfect wall that backed to the laundry room so I didn't care too much about that side. The door allows me to get to the display at any time for whatever reason. I am thinking about just putting a stud lower in the wall as a sort of shelf and throwing the laptop in the wall as well.

That is so unfair. I cant get past the first screen of CQC and you have it setup so nice.

THe ELO also looks very nice.

regards

noshali said:
I looked into these. The only things to watch out are:

1. Which OS is preloaded as for someone like me doing a hack and a strip down version of XP etc etc was not an option as I would not have been able to achieve that. THe fujistus's don't have CDROM so it is not a simple setup.
2. The processor as some software would not run well unless you do RDP.

Also some models have the letter S and X next to the model number which specifies the resolution. For eg I believe S is 800X600 and X is 1024X800. i.e if I remember correctly.

regards,
What about the processor difference? For that type of processor is a 500MHZ celeron better than a 400mhz p3? The 3500's (with celeron) all seem to have 2000 loaded, where the 3400's seem to have 98se.

This is leading me to think (along with the model number) that the celeron in that instance is actually the better setup, even though today the numbers would have to be drastically higher for the celeron to compete (from what I understand).

I am probably asking for to much but I think it would be great to have a touchscreen to control security and lighting, that could also view security camera's, and also tv. That would be perfect in the kitchen and a few other areas of the house.

noshali said:
That is so unfair. I cant get past the first screen of CQC and you have it setup so nice.

regards
Did robasharoy contact you about me setting up your system remotely so we can record a video tutorial about this?

Digger said:
I am probably asking for to much but I think it would be great to have a touchscreen to control security and lighting, that could also view security camera's, and also tv. That would be perfect in the kitchen and a few other areas of the house.
I can do all of that on mine since the TS is just a monitor hooked to a laptop. All I would need to do is add the camera feeds and a tuner. I have plans for the cameras but there is already a TV in sight. With the 15" screen, I should be able to have at least 4 cameras displayed very comfortably.

As money permits I would like to add the TS to control the M1, Control the lighting (even if just through the M1), View Security Cameras of the front and backyards, and have TV built in if reasonably cost effecient.

15" screen is to big for the kitchen but reasonable for everywhere else. I already ahve a 15" LCD TV/Monitor suspended from the ceiling in the kitchen. To high up to use a TS there.

Any suggestions of a 8" or 10" TS that can be used with a laptop similar to what you have?

Yeah, I guess it all depends on your layout, walls, etc. I actually wanted a 17" there. The smallest ELO like mine is a 12". You can use any panel mount TS, just not too familiar with the smaller ones - maybe a lilliput or one on MP3cars?

Steve-that is exactly the 'look' I want--framed and flush; you did a very professional job. Is there another hole cut out in the wall by the notebook for the cables? Did you use a network cable or wireless access to network? How much did your screen cost?

Of course, I would love to get the Elk CE system, but there's always gotta be a budget. This looks like it could be done for at least half the cost. And any frame to fit decor could be used :D

Thanks. Yes, there is a small hole in the corner for the cables. It was wireless at first, but I ran a cat5 there so it is wired now. I originally bought a screen off ebay for like $450 but then I found one I liked better (all glass, no resistive overlay) on Tech4Less as an open box for $320. It was basically brand new.

The total cost of the system was (approximately):
$320 (TouchScreen)
$10 (Frame jig from Harbor Freight)
$12 (Frame material - moulding from Lowes)
$8 (Paint)
$8 (Wiring)
$0 (Laptop - had an old spare)

Total - around $360

Sure that is a lot less than the Elk but I was fortunate to have an extra laptop and got a great deal on the screen. That screen retails new for around $750. Personally, I would prefer an all in one design, whether it be like the Nobu, the Elk running CE or even the new UMTA from RedRadio, but for the price and way it worked out I (and the wife!) am very happy.

I am leaning towards the fujitsu setup. How does CQC look at 800x600? If I used a POS touchscreen hooked up to a PC, do you need special touchscreen software or does it hook up like a regular monitor? Sorry for the basic questions, I am just starting out.

Back