Insteon Advice

iolaus

Hey all,

I just received my first Insteon devices and I'm having some trouble. I have an ISY-99i, one ToggleLinc Dimmer, and one LampLinc.

I've got the ISY-99i set up and running but I'm having some trouble linking my devices. I have successfully linked both the ToggleLinc and the LampLinc by moving the PLM around to different outlets but can't get them to link in the locations I would like. I originally thought the issue might simply be due to lack of a phase coupler but through some experimenting I've found the following.

Given outlets A1, A2, and A3 I get the following:

A1 (PLM) -> A2 (LampLinc), No Link
A1 (PLM) -> A3 (LampLinc), No Link
A2 (PLM) -> A3 (LampLinc), No Link

This leads me to believe that the problem is more complex than just a phase issue (as at least 2 of the outlets must be on the same phase). Additionally, I tried turning on our electric drier to see if it would act as a phase coupler and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I seem to have the most success linking when the PLM is in relatively close proximity to the device I'm trying to Link but I've also had success with certain outlets 2 floors apart.

My house is not terribly large, 2 stories (plus basement) and about 700 sq. ft. per floor. From what I have seen all the wiring in the house has a neutral. I do have a lot of computer equipment and a lot of CFL bulbs in the house.

Does anyone have advice on how to troubleshoot this issue? Is it something that would likely get better with a phase coupler and more devices? Would some access points be useful?

What I'm really trying to decide is if I should continue with Insteon given the trouble I'm experiencing already or if I would be better off cutting my losses and going for a wireless solution like Z-Wave.

Thanks,
Ryan

In practice, having two dual-band devices (or two access points) on opposite phases is required for a reliable INSTEON network. Anything less and you're just asking for trouble. While it may not solve the problem, it's highly likely that's a big part of the issue. And yes, as you add more devices, your network should get more reliable since each most will repeat the signals.

I use filters on all my computers and where I have any wall warts they are also on a filter, I have several dual band dimmers that are for the most part just being used as access points. I did have some CFL bulbs that caused trouble when they got older so I replaced them.

The area where I had trouble with Insteon was with PLC lockups and failures, 1 keypadlinc that is flakey and some older switches that don't respond to local control.

I started changing over to RadioRA but never got around to replacing all my Insteon stuff, right now I am waiting to see how RA2 looks and I may switch to it in the future. I added the dual band Insteon stuff recently and I've got to say I am not having any missed command issues anymore, when I just had the original signalinc phase couplers, I had problems in some areas of the house.

Back