Irrigation + elk

Outputs/relays here... last house had 10 zones - was easiest to run a sub-panel of the Elk in the garage with an M1XOVR and M1RB for 16 relays out there; 10 for the sprinklers, 2 for the garage doors, 1 for a notification system in the garage, and a couple spares to trigger halloween decorations. This house has only 5 zones, but I threw the same sub panel up and added an M1XIN as well for gate detectors, local sensing of the overhead doors, etc (this house isn't wired, so I had a spare XIN after going with wireless sensors).

Relays are dead simple and perfectly affordable; I just didn't see any benefit in another unit when the intelligence I needed was very easily performed via the M1.

Also outputs/relays here. 15 zones (and one zone to turn on the irrigation pump) on a M1XOVR/M1RB. Works like a champ. Very nice to adjust the start/run times with the custom settings and just run a macro on the ekeypad software.

@DJK
are you using any rules to ensure at least 1 zone is on when pump zone is on (so pump doesn't blow)? If you can elaborate on your setup it would be much appreciated. I would love to retire my rain bird, or leave it there and at least give elk a way to override it.

I have everything i need for this but haven't moved forward due to lack of info for pump control.

Thanks

This is an old thread; DJK hasn't been around for a few months - but it'd be pretty easy to control the pump with some rules.  If you need help designing around that or with the rules, give us a little more about the pump - how is it controlled now?  What sorts of things do you need to protect against?

The pump is powered by a outlet 120v. That is on a relay. The relay is outside and is triggered from the rain bird just like a zone valve. Trigger the pump relay and the power is switched on to that pump. That pump relay should not be on unless a zone is open to discharge water or else it will fry the pump or blow some fittings (I learned this the hard way)
I have 6 watering zones.

I have the elk voltage relay m1xovr.

From your post it looks like the pump relay gets activated from the regular 24 VAC wall wart.  Just wire that up to a relay zone, then in your rules always switch that zone on/off whenever any of the zones are switched on or off.

Here is a schematic from an older post that shows how to wire up relays using an external 24 VAC wall wart to the individual zone solenoids.

schematic.jpg

Of course, the foolproof way to ensure you have flow before turning on your pump is to install a flow switch and have that output in the logic for turning the pump on.

Thank you for that info.  I'm not sure what you mean by a flow switch, and are you referring to the Logic in M1 Rules?

Well, if you really wanted to ensure that the pump was on only when flow was present, you may want to install one of these flow indicators between the pump and the switching valve manifold.  This would give you a contact closure that you can monitor to let you know you have established flow in your pipes.

This gives extra insurance that both commands (the pump on and a valve open) were sent and executed properly (what would happen if you sent the command, but the valve did not open for some reason?).

Granted, this may be overkill, just wanted you to be aware of the option.

I have never purchased a flow indicator, but have used flow meters on various work related projects in the past.

Wow, never knew this existing, thanks!

Does anyone have any screenshots or programming rules examples with a pump involved?

Back