It happened to me...

Thanks for the info Pete. That's a very clever set up!

I have timers on my front lights that go on at dusk and go off at dawn. Having my front yard lit up during the evening hours seem to be a huge deterrent as well.

My neighbors can see my house easily during the night. A few neighbors down the street have had their cars broken into during the night, as they don't light up their yard / driveway. I left my car unlocked accidentally a few times, and nothing was bothered.

However, I would love a set up like yours where the house reacts to trespassers. Will have to budget for something like this in the future.

Its actually not that hard to setup. The biggest job was to lay the conduits in the ground and concrete in the posts. Gotta say, the beam is just great. I was actually thinking of setting up another one about 12 inches back from the front one so I can tell if someone is comming or going.

Cheers..Pete

I always wanted to set something like that up, but it would only cover me for 6 months of the year, the other 6 months, we have snow :/

electron said:
I always wanted to set something like that up, but it would only cover me for 6 months of the year, the other 6 months, we have snow :/
Electron

I was at a friends place in Canmore, Alberta and it amazed me how "sealed" the houses were. You could pick them up and stick em in a bucket of water and they wouldnt leak !

The buildings in OZ generally are no where near that quality as we jsut dont get the extreme temps you get. My friend in Denver has a flat awning out the back, quite a large one and its collapsed 3 times already under the weight of the snow :)

Constructing stuff with snow in mind is so foreign for us its just hard to grasp what you guys go through. Whats simple for us is so much more of a hassle for you guys :)

Gotta say, its cool to have the voice announcements when someone comes onto the property. Actually looking at the ELK it would be so easy to do if you buy a "self recording" voice module, you can get a nice french lady to record the audio for you :) You'll be running back n forth across the frontyward just to hear it :).. eh eh eh

Cheers..Pete in OZ

Ok, Pete, somehow I know the answer is going to make me feel stupid once I know it.. but what does OZ stand for???

What an interesting thread. Very, very sorry about the break in, but very happy that no one was hurt. I have an Elk M1G, two story house, one motion detector indoors, all doors and windows on the first floor connected to the system, and one siren indoors. The system is not centrally monitored, but I am about to set that up as I will be leaving my wife and daughter here alone for several months (military--heading overseas). I was thinking about the following upgrades. Am I missing anything?
Motion detectors outside covering the perimeter of the house where there are windows or doors
A few more motion detectors indoors
Glass break sensor
One or two more sirens

To add the additional sensors, I think I will need to go wireless. I see the ELK-M1XRF2G and NX548E. I don't see me adding even close to 48 zones, so I think I'll go with the NX548E. Do I need to add anything else to the Elk to add the wireless zones? All of my current zones are wired, and I don't have any experience with the wireless zones.

How do I go about adding the additional sirens? I've got the connector that attaches to J16 on the main board, which handles outputs 7-16, but haven't connected it because I don't need it. Can I use that to hook up more sirens?

Sorry to threadjack you here, but it seems to flow with the discussions in progress. Again, very sorry for your break in.

Skip

Hi Skip

I'm no wireless expert and not sure if I plan to be. I've **always** been a hardwired person when it comes to security however I'm sure the wireless is getting darned good !

With reference to beams outdoors, unless it is a perimiter beam I would NOT put motion detectors outside as they will be guaranteed to false alarm. Put more motion detectors inside if you can, especially locations that are central to the house where someone is going to have to pass through to get to another part of the house ie: hallways, stairwells etc.

As far as noisemaker goes, you want to make a lot more noise outside than you currently are. One noisemaker inside really is not enough ( in my view). When the M1G goes off, you want EVERYONE to know about it !

As far as outputs 7-15 go, they are digital outputs that can be tied to ELK events. They provide 50ma current, about right to drive relays that can then drive higher current devices. These are not siren outputs as such but can be used to trigger other voltage controlled devices.

Living in OZ we are a long way from Military conflict so I wish you well and come back in one piece !

Pete

... I am about to set that up as I will be leaving my wife and daughter here alone for several months (military--heading overseas).

MrGibbage:

Here is wishing you a safe and speedy return! We also have another "military" Cocooner jrfuda, in Afghanistan. As a matter of fact he joined us briefly in our chat session last night and said he still has several months, if not more, to go before he returns home (we have been following his military travels over several years).

Try to keep in touch if you can!

Best wishes to you and your family!

BSR

I didn't know there were chat sessions too! Wow--I already spend too much time here ;)

I am also heading to Afghanistan. First I have some training to go through at Ft Bragg but should be overseas by the end of the year.

Thanks for the kind words though!

Skip

I'm no wireless expert and not sure if I plan to be. I've **always** been a hardwired person when it comes to security however I'm sure the wireless is getting darned good !

With reference to beams outdoors, unless it is a perimiter beam I would NOT put motion detectors outside as they will be guaranteed to false alarm. Put more motion detectors inside if you can, especially locations that are central to the house where someone is going to have to pass through to get to another part of the house ie: hallways, stairwells etc.

I am in complete agreement regarding wired versus wireless. I ALWAYS wire if there is any way possible. Wireless is my last resort. If nothing else, I hate having to replace batteries ;)

Regarding outdoor motion sensors - again I agree. Never connect them to your security system, too many chances for a false alarm. A security system that falses is just like the boy who cried wolf too many times. However, I am a strong fan of wiring them to my automation system. Minimally my outside lights come on if there is motion... light scares away most would be intruders. Depending on which motion sensor it is - it also turns on some interior lights (and does a vocal announcement) so we definitely know about it! And our big dog knows there is someone outside (probably a friendly visitor) and is very happy to go greet them! LOL

Optex makes a nice perimeter pir that sends a beam out both sides to protect an entire side of the house. I am looking into using those and will also control the lights and probably a verbal warning, trigger recording (when cameras are in) and my favorite - turn on that sprinkler zone.

Back